Windowed my block, which short block?

throthaduece85

spinning not winning
Established Member
Psht, ain't received it yet. Ford racing just labeled my shipment date "tba" and they are closed til the fifth, joy....
Comp ratio is staying at 11:1 as per Aarons recommendation. You feeding the stock clutch steroids? I didn't even give mine the opportunity to handle big power, but with missed shifts being the mt82 killer I replaced it before going turbo. Also that blowfish bracket is one solid piece as far as mt82 stuff goes.

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
That sucks!!! I'd be a crackhead with withdrawls :D

Only mods trans wise is the barton shifter/bracket, clutch line, stifflers loop and the poly motor mounts. Had the whiteline bushing in but I think it shifts smoother without it. And Amsoil fluid. That seemed to make a huge change in itself. I figured I'd try the blowfish bracket if I had issues with shifts but with the k member install, it seems to be so much better.

If Bauman comes out with a 6R80 standalone soon, I'll prob be swapping

Hopefully that motor comes in soon. Great air so far this season :rockon:

throthaduece85

spinning not winning
Established Member
short block arrived at Tommie Vaughn last week and I was able to get it this weekend. It was even built by Fonzie, so I know its gonna be cool lol
208AB5EC-15F9-4317-A33A-DB38EAC33C5A_zpsus6wg55m.jpg

09774AE3-BDF0-4EA0-B4CB-37FD3AEA9E5D_zpst0lqttph.jpg

throthaduece85

spinning not winning
Established Member
HONDASAKI, thanks bud. I sure would like to put up some times like what you have been able to accomplish on the stock short block, just hope my stick is willing.

jcarr, the short block was purchased through Tommie Vaughn Ford in Houston, Tx

throthaduece85

spinning not winning
Established Member
carnage photos. it appears as though the #5 rod snapped and crushed the piston into many chunks. the wrist pin was actually on top of the drivers side motor mount. a total of 4 holes were made, drivers side of oil pan, drivers side of block, in the valley and small hole on pass side of block. BOOM goes the dynamite!
C4B03ED3-4544-4BA8-A032-9A5CAD66000C_zps7qn1elvy.jpg

E8EE1442-5487-4AC1-827C-4CF44F652584_zpsoqm7bea1.jpg

BE091F41-C92D-4A81-A4DA-D2686E59B2E7_zpspkuq2ljv.jpg

8CA51C96-DEC8-4AB3-9BB4-7D7F4588D080_zps4qiauvnj.jpg

BE091F41-C92D-4A81-A4DA-D2686E59B2E7_zpspkuq2ljv.jpg

6B2E8892-A36C-490A-9900-911BFD206056_zps5tqhhakd.jpg

the combustion chamber got some surface damage, no cracks or anything. new valves are going in on that cylinder.

TrickFlow Valve Springs from JPC are going in along with an MMR billet crank sprocket and ARP head studs to compliment the Aluminator short block.

sspstangbanger

Pushrod Killer!
Established Member
That chamber needs to be welded and reshaped to be right.
No way would I trust that to just some new valves and springs without repairing that chamber

throthaduece85

spinning not winning
Established Member
Oh yea im having it reshaped and checked for any cracks. if I have to get a cylinder head then that's what I gotta do. procuring a used set really isn't an option as the car is down in one of my stalls at work and it cant just sit there while hunt for used heads, a day or two with the machine shop is ok tho. If its cracked or deemed unusable by the machine shop then ill just pop for a new one from ford, Tommie Vaughn has hooked it up pretty good so far.

throthaduece85

spinning not winning
Established Member
You can get 2015 heads pretty cheap and they flow more and have larger valves

solid thought. if this head is toast and I HAD to get another one, thatd be the way to fly. If they didn't come with cams would my cams and vct stuff, chains and tensioners swap? Ive already got the TF springs in the other head but they could be removed and installed on the 15 heads if need be I would think.

sspstangbanger

Pushrod Killer!
Established Member
Yes you reuse all your stuff its the same. Also get some Boss Exh cams they are cheap $70 shipped off eBay new in ford boxes!
They are great on blower/turbo cars

throthaduece85

spinning not winning
Established Member
*UPDATE*
finally got it fired up Saturday night, let it get to operating temperature and drained that oil out. Doing a small break in period with motorcraft 5w20. After another tank of fuel I will change the oil again with amsoil rd30 and go WOT. Doing BMRs K-member was totally worth it, makes running all the piping much easier with no added NVH. :rockon:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Great news.

what did you end up doing about the head? I actually didnt think the damage to the comb chamber warranted replacement. Good chance it was repairable.

throthaduece85

spinning not winning
Established Member
All that was done to the cylinder head was new valves, clean the seats and polish the rough spots on the chamber. Been running like a champ! Tmrw I change the oil and put on my sombrero, it's time for some Mexico runs!

Users who are viewing this thread