Windows 7

20svtcobra03

Established Member
I'm so tired of Vista.. I've got 2 computers with it and both give me trouble... what about Windows 7 is it a lot better what do you guys think?

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I've never used vista, went straight from XP to 7, but it seems nice and stable.

Some things are hard to find at first, but i'm pretty used to it now

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
i just made a thread about this lol. wanted 7 but i'm ok as of now

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
All I can say is if you guys decide to buy 7, go halvsies with a friend on a technet subscription.

It is 10 licenses of every (yes EVERY) Microsoft product for 250$ a year. All of the licenses I claim within the first year are good even if my subscription expires.

So, I got Win 7 ultimate and office 2007 ultimate, PLUS any other OS's that I want to play with all for 130$.

I used to be all about pirating, but I got tired of dealing with all the BS so I bought it somewhat legit this go around.

hoamskilet

Established Member
Windows 7 is fantastic. I never had a problem with vista, but 7 has made me absolutely forget anything I thought I liked about any previous OS

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Windows 7 is fantastic. I never had a problem with vista, but 7 has made me absolutely forget anything I thought I liked about any previous OS

That's my experience as well. Liked Vista Ultimate a lot, but went with Windows 7 on my new Dell computer in January. Absolutely love it! Installed Windows 7 on my wife's computer, and on all of our office computers. It's an awesome operating system. I have absolutely no negatives to report. :rockon:

cruise33

Banned
I got a new system and its having the windows7.Its working really good.had no problem.Its a good operating system.

GodStang

Established Member
I running Windows 7 Ultimate on one of my home desktops and love it. I am running Windows XP Pro, Xbox 360, Samsung TV, and Server 2003 on other setups and it talks to all of them with great ease. I ran a dual boot of Windows Vista and XP Pro for awhile and just did not like Vista so I dropped it. I have a new mother board and processor coming in for my XP pro machine on Tuesday and may be switching it to Windows 7 also because I like it so much.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
I have 7 and i love it.

My folks both have vista and i fight it everytime i do something on their computers...

bkaul

Established Member
As you can see from the responses, Windows 7 is great ... as for whether it's "a lot better" in your estimation, that'll probably depend somewhat on what it was about Vista you didn't like, but I don't know anyone who has 7 and hates it. I definitely considered it a worthwhile upgrade on my computers.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I was warned don't go near Vista but I had a few people bring me their messed up Vista machines to repair. I never did honestly like it. I have used 7 since day after Christmas because I bought my daughter and my wife a laptop to use around the house with it and I really like it. I won't be upgrading any of our work computers to it for now but for home use it's great.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I stopped running Windows. I use Ubuntu Linux O/S. Free, far superior to windows, fast, never slows down, 10 second boot up, 10 second boot down. No need to run virus protection. Tons of applications that are free.

There are many distros of Linux. Try one and see how you like it. If you do a lot of work on stuff on PC then Windows might be a necessity. But if you only use the computer for minor things then Linux will work great for you.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
The computer that we run the dyno with is on Vista, and it is a real PITA! I went from XP to Win7 on my home and work laptops, and it is light years ahead of the previous OS'. I really haven't found anything to complain about yet. My home laptop is more of a portable fun machine. It has aToshiba W/ Pentium Dual core 1.3ghz processor; 4gb DDR3 @ 1333mhz FSB. It is like a netbook, but plenty powerful, and great for road tuning with. it weighs in at just over 3 lbs and has an 11" screen. I average about 5 hours of batter life at Max performance settings, and close to 9 hours on battery saver mode :rockon:. I watched two 1:45 min movies (ripped to hardrive) on a plane trip not long ago, and it still had about an hour left once we landed. My other laptop is muh beast a Dell XPS16 6gb DDR3 @ 1333mhz, Pentium Core i7 720qm that is clocked originally at 1.6ghz/per Core, but a new Bios flash has it running at 2.6ghz/Core all the time now. I guess they set it to run in turbo mode full time except when in power saving mode. It has a 15.6" 1080P LED monitor, Blu-Ray drive, and to run the display it uses a 1gb ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730. This one last about 2.5 hours on max Settings, and about hours on Battery saver mode. It really screams. So you can see, Win7 runs excellent on just about any machine as long as you have the correct drivers. I have Win7 home on the Toshiba, and Professional on the XPS16. I saw nothing with Ultimate that I would ever use.

-Jeff

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
All my PC's run Vista. No issues whatsoever, and it looks a ton better than blocky W7 IMO.

My last run in with W7 ended with me reformatting it to Vista x64. Had alot of connectivity issues with the network card, it wouldnt connect unless you uninstalled and reinstalled the driver every time you rebooted the pc. Worked perfectly fine under Vista so after a week of ****ing with it, trying every driver release for it, doing a bunch of other crap, I just reformatted back to Vista.

I just reformatted my parents old old ass HP (so old its onboard graphics wont let it install DX9!) and it runs pretty smooth. It gets a bit choppy when loading stuff like Farmville or the like, but otherwise its still smooth for all other tasks.

My gaming rig got a fresh install of Vista Ult x32 a couple months back after a power surge killed my OS hard drive. Buddy hooked it up with two 250gb 10krpm sata3.0 in Raid0 (i believe), and its lightning fast and no issues. Though i now hardly use it, between either being on my 360 or laying around browsing the innernets on my phone. The other day i finally reinstalled Dirt/Dirt2/Grid and only played each for about 5min before wandering to the 360 and playing MW2 for an hour.

Jefe

Established Member
All I can say is if you guys decide to buy 7, go halvsies with a friend on a technet subscription.

It is 10 licenses of every (yes EVERY) Microsoft product for 250$ a year. All of the licenses I claim within the first year are good even if my subscription expires.

So, I got Win 7 ultimate and office 2007 ultimate, PLUS any other OS's that I want to play with all for 130$.

I used to be all about pirating, but I got tired of dealing with all the BS so I bought it somewhat legit this go around.

I need to do this. Link?

Users who are viewing this thread