Winter storage for my 2013 Shelby GT500. I haven't stored a car in my garage for about 20

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
years. My 2003 LX Convertible.

I used a car cover then and for the first time, after storing cars for years, I had an issue with mice getting in and doing what mice do. Chewing up wires, shredding sound deadener etc.

I'm hesitant to use a car cover again, and since I'll have it on a tender, and will start it up periodically and even drive if around the neighborhood on the "warmer" winter days when there's no salt on the roads, I'm thinking of not covering it.

Any thoughts or recommendations on what you do for winter storage?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
full tank of gas and unless theres concerns about stuff getting set on it Id probably go no cover (you can also sprinkle moth balls around to deter them).

unless you just want to drive it, short trip driving is worse than leaving it alone - it'll get warm enough to build up a bunch of condensation but not warm enough, long enough to dry it back out.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
-Minimize the chance of pests by sealing openings in your storage location and setting traps/bait.
-Change the oil & filter.
-Put a little extra pressure in the tires.
-If the climate is dry and storage location won't see wide temperature swings, store with 1/4 tank. Otherwise, full is a better option. (Keep in mind the need for fresh gas before getting into boost in the spring.)
-Do not start or drive it thru the winter months, unless everything will get up to full operating temp.

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
full tank of gas and unless theres concerns about stuff getting set on it Id probably go no cover (you can also sprinkle moth balls around to deter them).

unless you just want to drive it, short trip driving is worse than leaving it alone - it'll get warm enough to build up a bunch of condensation but not warm enough, long enough to dry it back out.
Great, thanks for the tip on the short drives. Didn't know that.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ditto on the glue traps. They DO work! Ask me how I know. LOL. Mice like to walk along the perimeter of the walls, so placing multiple glue traps on the floor where it meets the walls is a smart thing to do.

robvas

Established Member
Never had an issue with mice.

I move my snowblower out of the corner of the garage. Wash the car, fill the tank, add some Lucas, park the car in the corner of the garage. Take the drag radials off and put them inside the house. Cover the car and connect to the battery tender.

If we get a warm weather week I'll take it for a ride or two, but other than that it sits until April or so. Maybe an over the winter project/install of something. No starting it every week (hear of some people starting them every day wtf).

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I've never had a mouse problem.
Cough up the $500, get one of these.

Read me posts:

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Just checked on my '66 this morning. Rodent free storage my ass :)

PXL_20231015_164445359.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread