Wiring harness corrosion 2012 GT

ASUSMC

Oh Hi!!!
Established Member
Well was having intermittent rough starts. Generally after sitting for 8+ hours. I figured the CCA's were low. 2 summers in AZ will do that to a battery. Turns out the positive side of the battery leaked acid into the wiring harness, causing the harness to corrode to the point of needing replacement. The service advisor tells me they are on national back order. Has anyone else had this issue?

Also they supposedly don't do loaners but I can rent a car across the street at Enterprise at their rate. I don't think I should have to pay for a rental for a warranty issue. Thoughts on this?

87hatchy

Established Member
I've never heard of this, however, if this is covered under warranty, there is no way you should be paying for a rental. The dealer should provide that at no charge.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Well was having intermittent rough starts. Generally after sitting for 8+ hours. I figured the CCA's were low. 2 summers in AZ will do that to a battery. Turns out the positive side of the battery leaked acid into the wiring harness, causing the harness to corrode to the point of needing replacement. The service advisor tells me they are on national back order. Has anyone else had this issue?

Also they supposedly don't do loaners but I can rent a car across the street at Enterprise at their rate. I don't think I should have to pay for a rental for a warranty issue. Thoughts on this?

your warranty should cover the whole cost of the rental and the fix if its all stock parts still.

ASUSMC

Oh Hi!!!
Established Member
Car is 100% stock. Looks like when I go in to pick up a couple things out of the car I'm going to cause a bit of a scene. With the holidays I'm going to most likely be out of a car for at least a week. If the harness is on back order as he says it is it'll be even longer.

bmitchell373

Established Member
Makes me want to check mine. The battery wrap needs to come off. Yes it will erp the heat out longer. But in phoenix that's not long. But it will hold the heat in for a long ass time once hott. Which dealer are you going threw?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Car is 100% stock. Looks like when I go in to pick up a couple things out of the car I'm going to cause a bit of a scene. With the holidays I'm going to most likely be out of a car for at least a week. If the harness is on back order as he says it is it'll be even longer.

i would do that and if nothing happens call ford ASAP. go above the dealer

Swetrid

Established Member
Ford only has to provide you with a rental if you purchased an extended warranty or rental care. I think it is a load of crap, Ford will sometimes give you a rental if you complain.

ASUSMC

Oh Hi!!!
Established Member
I will be going in to the dealership today and they will get full force asshole. I tried to be nice, tried to be polite. The dealership got me a rental at "their cost" which ended up being $50 a day.

In no way should I have to make a payment on a car with no eta for when I'll be able to drive it again because of a warranty part being on backorder. If they can't get me a rental at no cost to me, refund me the $98 I've already spent on a rental, and give me an eta for when I'll have my car back they can just go ahead and make my car payment on the 1st. The dealership (and Ford for that matter) will be put on blast and everyone I know will know about terrible customer service and I will never buy a Ford warrantied product again.

REPCobra10

Established Member
If your car is stock, as you say it is, sir, then the dealer has to cough up the coin for your rental car while it goes in for warranty-work. Any and all warranty-work performed on all of my cars over the years from various manufacturers has always been free, including a rental-car when needed, as in your case...

Last edited:

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
If your car is stock, as you say it is, sir, then the dealer has to cough up the coin for your rental car while it goes in for warranty-work. Any and all warranty-work performed on all of my cars over the years from various manufacturers has always been free, including a rental-car when needed, as in your case...

Sadly, this is not the case. The dealer only gets so much rental-car money per quarter from Ford. Once it's done, it's done until the next quarter.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Ford isnt responsible for battery corrosion/acid buildup on battery terminals when cars have in excess of 12k+ miles or is a normal amount of buildup. A battery being charged and run down and recharged will cause vapors to cause this buildup and is actually a maintenance item weather people want to believe it or not. Cleaning the battery cables ends should be done atleast every oil change if not every other to prevent this issue. No different than any other maintenance on a car, this just seems to get overlooked very often, just like brake flush, and cabin filters. Most of the time the dealers will cover cables under the first few years, after that most will warranty claims can be denied from lack of maintenance causing the failure. Just thought I would throw that in there as a FYI. S197 body cars are notorious for doing this which is why the cables are more than likely on back order. It has to do with the modules staying active causing the battery to discharge then recharge once started allowing excess amounts of vapor to be produced. Since this concern is mostly a maintenance concern, but common is why its being warranted, but have issue covering the rental. Also as noted above, dealers get a certain amount of rental coverage to use each month and normally save it for legitimate warranty or defective part failures.

Last edited:

REPCobra10

Established Member
Sadly, this is not the case. The dealer only gets so much rental-car money per quarter from Ford. Once it's done, it's done until the next quarter.

Well, I guess I got lucky every time I had warranty-work done on vehicles then, because the dealerships always offered me a rental car at no cost to me when needed whilst warranty-work was being performed...:shrug:

Last edited:

REPCobra10

Established Member
Ford isnt responsible for battery corrosion/acid buildup on battery terminals when cars have in excess of 12k+ miles or is a normal amount of buildup. A battery being charged and run down and recharged will cause vapors to cause this buildup and is actually a maintenance item weather people want to believe it or not. Cleaning the battery cables ends should be done atleast every oil change if not every other to prevent this issue. No different than any other maintenance on a car, this just seems to get overlooked very often, just like brake flush, and cabin filters. Most of the time the dealers will cover cables under the first few years, after that most will warranty claims can be denied from lack of maintenance causing the failure. Just thought I would throw that in there as a FYI.

Understood...:beer: It makes sense.

ASUSMC

Oh Hi!!!
Established Member
Ford isnt responsible for battery corrosion/acid buildup on battery terminals when cars have in excess of 12k+ miles or is a normal amount of buildup. A battery being charged and run down and recharged will cause vapors to cause this buildup and is actually a maintenance item weather people want to believe it or not. Cleaning the battery cables ends should be done atleast every oil change if not every other to prevent this issue. No different than any other maintenance on a car, this just seems to get overlooked very often, just like brake flush, and cabin filters. Most of the time the dealers will cover cables under the first few years, after that most will warranty claims can be denied from lack of maintenance causing the failure. Just thought I would throw that in there as a FYI. S197 body cars are notorious for doing this which is why the cables are more than likely on back order. It has to do with the modules staying active causing the battery to discharge then recharge once started allowing excess amounts of vapor to be produced. Since this concern is mostly a maintenance concern but common is why its being warranted, but have issue covering the rental. Also as noted above, dealers get a certain amount of rental coverage to use each month and normally save it for legitimate warranty or defective part failures.

What you don't understand is it wasn't corrosion that took out my harness, acid leaked from the battery down the wiring harness. The battery boiled over or otherwise leaked acid into the harness destroying the harness. The way it was originally described to me over the phone was corrosion, when I went in to get things from the car he showed me where the acid had leaked down into the harness itself.

The reason I bought a new car was that it came with a warranty and with that warranty I would not be without a vehicle for days at a time as I had been previously with my Cobra, Lightning, and GT. This has left an extremely poor taste in my mouth. Why in the hell would I spend another $30k+ at a dealership that isn't going to take care of me when I am making them money? Ford reimburses the dealership for any repairs done under warranty. Today is day 5 without a vehicle. If I had kept the rental I'd be at $250 cost to me for warranty work that shouldn't cost me a dime.

Last edited:

01bluesnake

Established Member
If the battery broke and leaked out fluid while still under warranty, then it should be warranted. If it was corrosion buildup that caused it which is more common on these cars, then regular maintenance of the terminals could of stopped your issue and hassles currently. Once corrosion starts, it will just keep working farther in the cable also.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Ford isnt responsible for battery corrosion/acid buildup on battery terminals when cars have in excess of 12k+ miles or is a normal amount of buildup. A battery being charged and run down and recharged will cause vapors to cause this buildup and is actually a maintenance item weather people want to believe it or not. Cleaning the battery cables ends should be done atleast every oil change if not every other to prevent this issue. No different than any other maintenance on a car, this just seems to get overlooked very often, just like brake flush, and cabin filters. Most of the time the dealers will cover cables under the first few years, after that most will warranty claims can be denied from lack of maintenance causing the failure. Just thought I would throw that in there as a FYI. S197 body cars are notorious for doing this which is why the cables are more than likely on back order. It has to do with the modules staying active causing the battery to discharge then recharge once started allowing excess amounts of vapor to be produced. Since this concern is mostly a maintenance concern, but common is why its being warranted, but have issue covering the rental. Also as noted above, dealers get a certain amount of rental coverage to use each month and normally save it for legitimate warranty or defective part failures.

If the battery broke and leaked out fluid while still under warranty, then it should be warranted. If it was corrosion buildup that caused it which is more common on these cars, then regular maintenance of the terminals could of stopped your issue and hassles currently. Once corrosion starts, it will just keep working farther in the cable also.

i do agree with what you are saying but the Ford manual does not say that in order to keep you warranty. in fact ford should put that in there normal service maintenance in the manual.

mhyjek

Established Member
What you don't understand is it wasn't corrosion that took out my harness, acid leaked from the battery down the wiring harness. The battery boiled over or otherwise leaked acid into the harness destroying the harness. The way it was originally described to me over the phone was corrosion, when I went in to get things from the car he showed me where the acid had leaked down into the harness itself.

The reason I bought a new car was that it came with a warranty and with that warranty I would not be without a vehicle for days at a time as I had been previously with my Cobra, Lightning, and GT. This has left an extremely poor taste in my mouth. Why in the hell would I spend another $30k+ at a dealership that isn't going to take care of me when I am making them money? Ford reimburses the dealership for any repairs done under warranty. Today is day 5 without a vehicle. If I had kept the rental I'd be at $250 cost to me for warranty work that shouldn't cost me a dime.

One question? Was the car serviced by them? If yes they should have serviced the battery as outlined in the manual. If it wasn't I don't know if you are going to get a rental reimbursement, but I would bring up the fact of your past purchases and how this will negatively affect future purchases over an easy fix by them...

01bluesnake

Established Member
The Ford manual is a generalization of all on the car. It also doesn't say you must wash and wax your car or you must change the transmission fluid (auto), but if you want to keep you paint in good condition a detail is almost a necessity. If you want to keep your trans working right you change the fluid. Warranty and the things they recommend will keep the car working till your out of warranty, any manufacturer can care less once you are out. Cars are designed to last for the warranty time which is why there are certain times frames for a warranty. They don't state cleaning the cables will keep your warranty, because typically doesn't cause issues before a cars warranted time frame is up.

01bluesnake

Established Member
One question? Was the car serviced by them? If yes they should have serviced the battery as outlined in the manual. If it wasn't I don't know if you are going to get a rental reimbursement, but I would bring up the fact of your past purchases and how this will negatively affect future purchases over an easy fix by them...

Everything takes time, even cleaning and conditioning battery terminals. If he never paid to have it done, it wouldn't of been done. When people bring their cars in for an oil change, they get a quick inspection and oil change. Any maintenance items or recommended work seen in the inspection would be noted and they have the decision to ok additional time or not. Cleaning battery cables the right way, removing all the corrosion and applying a servant and pad can easily take a half hour. When getting parts and work is done and said for.

ASUSMC

Oh Hi!!!
Established Member
The car goes there for everything except oil changes which I do myself. I called and left a message, the service advisor called me back and told me that they were going to try to order the harness today and that hopefully they might have it by the end of the week then take another day to put in. I understand the timing with the holiday and such but if they get it Friday, I MIGHT get my car back Saturday. $350 in rental (if I had kept it) cost. I'm lucky my girlfriend doesn't have to work until tomorrow and was able to drive me today, otherwise, I'd be stuck paying it. What if it didn't get buttoned up and done until Monday? $450 in rental costs for warrantee work? Flat out unacceptable

Users who are viewing this thread