Wobble under hard acceleration

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I'm still thinking trying to decide in a new tire. The Michelin's are not acceptable. From my experience the Super Sports would be a great tire on a lesser car, something under 300 hp. They can't handle higher power level acceleration. Not sure how some of these exotic cars don't have issues. For stability the Goodyear's win hands down, their hockey pucks when cold but pull straight as an arrow. I've changed tire pressure several times and its always the Michelin's that are the weakest link in the car. I posted feedback on Michelin's site and was told it didn't meet requirements, so I guess they don't like to hear and address negative feedback even though it's on Mustang, Corvette, Porsche and BMW forums as you point out above.

Fixing to get back to performance driving, what tires should I get next?

Last edited:

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
I'm still thinking trying to decide in a new tire. The Michelin's are not acceptable. From my experience the Super Sports would be a great tire on a lesser car, something under 300 hp. They can't handle higher power level acceleration. Not sure how some of these exotic cars don't have issues. For stability the Goodyear's win hands down, their hockey pucks when cold but pull straight as an arrow. I've changed tire pressure several times and its always the Michelin's that are the weakest link in the car. I posted feedback on Michelin's site and was told it didn't meet requirements, so I guess they don't like to hear and address negative feedback even though it's on Mustang, Corvette, Porsche and BMW forums as you point out above.

Fixing to get back to performance driving, what tires should I get next?

285/35/20 or 315/30/20 Toyo R888's

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
How about noise in the R888? Also, should I just keep the Michelin's up front or go all R888?

Last edited:

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
How about noise in the R888? Also, should I just keep the Michelin's up front or go all R888?

I have noticed no extra noise from the R888's, but I have a semi loud exhaust.

I would definitely keep the MPSS's up front and run the R888's in the rear.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
people with the death wobble issue should post up production dates from their tires. and contact the DOT. if it can be established that their is a production/safety issue Michelin could be forced to replace the tires for everyone.

phil123

Established Member

I was worried about noise but any additional noise is pretty marginal. I kept the MPSS up front because I didn't want to go from a 40 to 35 profile and it works well. The MPSS will last longer so why not, it you don't like it change to the R888 up front. I think you will be happy with them.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I have a set of MPSS ready to go on the back tomorrow, giving them 1 more try. Went to the 105y Porsche NO. Will keep everyone posted. Was on 105 Ferrari previously.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I got a new set of 295/35R29 MPSS's mounted yesterday. After testing them I can say there is absolutely no wobble, they are solid. I went to the NO Porsche Y105 as that was all that was in stock. If some issue later develops I'll let you guys know, but right now they are what they should be. Car is so much more when things work as intended. Previously I had the Y105 Ferrari's.

Last edited:

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
I have 285/35 20 (the factory size) R888 on mine.. factory power and exhaust.. I notice nothing other than a more enjoyable driving experience.. because it actually hooks now... I before basically didn't drive my car because it was underivable.. I love to drive this car now. I just wish I could get matching tires for the front to take care of my OCD issue of non matching tires.. but for the performance I can handle it..

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
WANT TO BUY: I am looking for a set of 295 K1 in 105Y for a set of 11" rims. I am hoping the extra rim width help. PM if you have a set, wear and sidewall dates.

I am also interested in 275/35/20 fronts as well if anyone has a set.

Thanks, Tom

Njtony

Established Member
Switched out the michelins for some nitto dr's and the wobble is gone. I'll pm above poster if he's intererested in buying them.

Users who are viewing this thread