Working on something a little fun

Vinyl

Your HIDs blind others
Established Member
I saw demand and I have easy access to the parts required, so I began a little project. Plus, I haven't really seen someone post detailed pictures of retrofitted 99-04 lights.

Started with new smoked headlights and immediately baked them apart:
34tb9tk.jpg

Now, I mounted the projector and am fitting the shroud to clear both the bi-xenon solenoid on the bottom of the projector and the black housing of the headlight. Once this fitment gets fixed and doesn't touch anything, I'll be baking the lights again to seal them together. These projectors have already been tested and have very crisp cutoffs, no flare, double-cutoffs, or bowing.

2lbgcb5.jpg

Shrouds are TRICKY with the 99-04 headlights because of the slope of the headlight and how far forward the projector sticks forward. If I used an E46 shroud or the like, the back half of the projector (the bowl) would be exposed when looking at the headlights from above.

More coming as it happens.

Last edited:

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
I'd love to have a set for my car. Just a lot of money for headlights haha, how much do you think these will run?

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Very nice. I'd love to have some HID/Projector setups like that in both my Mustangs. The stock lights are terrible.

oldmodman

Established Member
I can't understand why one of the aftermarket companies hasn't made a complete, DOT legal set. They could charge ten times what they cost to make (in China) and sell thousands of them, maybe hundreds of thousands.

Vinyl

Your HIDs blind others
Established Member
Nice! I'd love to do projectors some day in my Cobra. Seems like a lot of work though.

It can be a lot of work. I'll have about eight hours in these all said and done.

I'd love to have a set for my car. Just a lot of money for headlights haha, how much do you think these will run?

I'll list this set at $795.

Very nice. I'd love to have some HID/Projector setups like that in both my Mustangs. The stock lights are terrible.

Let me know if you decide to upgrade! :rockon:

I can't understand why one of the aftermarket companies hasn't made a complete, DOT legal set. They could charge ten times what they cost to make (in China) and sell thousands of them, maybe hundreds of thousands.

DOT legal would be virtually impossible. Why not have something I have bench tested and inspected everything that is in it? Plus most of the package is warrantied!

Great work!

Thanks! :beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Great job. You must be hugely happy with the results. I'd love to see them mounted.

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
Yeah there was a member here who did the same thing. But at $7xx a pop its a hard bullet to bite. I know id like a set, but damn its hard to drop the cash just for lighting

Vinyl

Your HIDs blind others
Established Member
Yeah there was a member here who did the same thing. But at $7xx a pop its a hard bullet to bite. I know id like a set, but damn its hard to drop the cash just for lighting

I doubt he used all new everything. Haha

Great job. You must be hugely happy with the results. I'd love to see them mounted.

Thanks! I'm not mounting these as I don't have a Mustang currently. I'll take lit and unlit pictures once they're sealed up this week, though!

Vinyl,

Looks good. If I still had my 04 COBRA I would consider buying these & having you build me a set...

The 99-04s are just a personal choice. I can retrofit almost anything!

Vinyl

Your HIDs blind others
Established Member
^ What projectors/shrouds/harness are those? It looks like the older TRS stuff

Vinyl

Your HIDs blind others
Established Member
:/ why not just buy a HID kit? i feel like the projector thing is kinda ricey

Because I don't want to blind others let alone sell something for someone to blind others with. Drop-ins are ricey if anything.

More pictures in a second

Vinyl

Your HIDs blind others
Established Member
Here's a shot of how much of the shroud I had to hack/sand off:

iokksx.jpg

Now, because of the way the shroud mounts to the projector (via four screws from the back of the projector) and how I used a beat up shroud to test-fit, I need to use a brand new shroud to hack and then use for final fitting. I also need to pick up some loctite tape to permanently mount the projector to the reflector bowl.

A shot with the shroud slid back on the projector:

1e1lkp.jpg

The shroud now touches nothing except the mounting points on the projector bowl.

Users who are viewing this thread