You have twenty thousand dollars...

thecrimson

Derpin
Established Member
put it under the mattress and save/combine with other funds so one can do a real build. Depends on your financial situation

I know what you're saying dude...Without going into detail, I could definitely afford more than 20k. I am limiting myself to that figure at least for now, because I feel that with the right platform as some have talked about it could definitely be done. Is it for everyone, definitely not. Some really good ideas here though. I like the S2000/LS idea alot...like ALOT. But with my wife and son loving to cruise I just can't bring myself to delete a back seat option, so now backseat is a must. The new edge roller seems like the way to go in this case. Forged motor and stout transmission with a decent suspension set up and I'd be happy as a hog. I just hope I could get it done at or under budget as I'm definitely a novice mechanic at best so the wrench time would be purchased :(

smitty2919

Established Member
New edge V6 roller or Fbody and stuff biggest LSX motor I can with fully built suspension for Autocross/RR....

Or just buy a clean C5Z and call it a day.

Sonny Black

Go Bills!
Established Member
Foxbody with a Terminator swap. Fairly simple. Doesn't really matter what blower, it's going to rip with any of them.

Last edited:

Kiohtee

Established Member
1998 Ford Mustang GT coupe
Laser Red exterior
Dark Charcoal interior
Fully loaded - leather seats, Mach 460, six speed T56, etc.

Aggressive H/C/I package making like 500rwhp. Stock rear, 3.73 gears, chrome Bullitts with the rears widened to accommodate a 335 tire. 5% tint all around, 20% on windshield. Pure sex.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
My next big build will be a 63-65 Falcon 2 door. Under 2500lbs and looking to run a setup making 500-600blown hp.

B0B

Established Member
04 mach 1, forged motor with a t56 and a whipple. already did it :) in the long run over 20k has been spent, but a lot of years of collecting parts and buying/selling used stuff got me there relatively cheaply.

Next in line is a '52 willy's M38 Flatfender. - already have it. it has a 327 in it right now that is worn out. Already converted to 12v.

TJ Rubicon Dana 44's with 4.56 gears, factory Rubicon lockers,
Four link suspension with about an 8" stretch on the rear. Possibly do a 3 link in the rear.
nice coilovers
nice custom cage and front + rear bumpers - home made
Some good Led lighting
swing pedals, hydraulic clutch, disc brakes
35" tires, nothing too big needed on a rig like that
tilt column, power steering
5.3 lsx, build up a 6 speed from an 06 rubicon
NP241 4.0:1 transfer case
Autometer gauges

possibly considering the idea of putting a 3.5l ecoboost in it. Most likely an LSX will prevail

Last edited:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
c5z with a good tire.

+1000

We are talking about a track car, correct? Why horse around with any type of swapped car? The whole concept of an affordable track car is that it should be affordable. Tons and tons of replacement parts are available for the vette at reasonable cost. The chassis is light, perfectly balanced, and suspension/brakes can be upgraded as far as you want to take the car. You can fit tons of tire up front and in the back. The motor can be tweaked to literally any hp level you want.

Lsx swapped cars are cool, especially the rx7's. But how much lighter is it than a stripped down c5 chassis?---not much. And the vette has room for bigger tires and better brakes. Not to mention replacement parts

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Just like the title says. 20k, to build or buy a performance/track/weekend car. What car would you buy and or build and why? Granted 20k isn't alot, but if you figure you can buy a fairly decent terminator for that amount, I know there are other vehicles out there that provide that bang for buck value. C5z? Stripped fox w a blower and some suspension goodies? What I'm really looking for is vehicles that you don't hear about all the time. Obviously doesn't have to be a mustang... 20k....go!

If you only have $20k to spend on a toy/track car, perhaps you should reconsider heading to track events. Track events are typically going to cost you $100-$200 per day. That's not including hotels, meals and fuel for the car. And of course there is a set of wheels and tires involved, possibly a pair of spares. Then spare brake pads and rotors. That's just the basics IF you're driving the car to the track.

Forget anything with a supercharger. You will be chasing overheating issues non-stop.

If that's honestly all you have to spend I think you'd be best off choosing a Miata. They are stupid cheap on consumables and your driving instructor will be doing cartwheels teaching you how to drive a slow car fast as opposed to learning how to drive a fast car fast.

Some food for thought.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

clean92lx

Established Member
I would def consider picking up an ultra low mileage 1993 cobra. Won't be fast but will make for a nice weekend cruiser and will not lose any value

Ryan427

Established Member
I second the 944 ls1 swap! Pick up a nice 944 for around $3500 preferably 1985.5 and up and throw a ls motor into it. The guys over at renagadehybrids.com have the entire kit and motors ready for purchase. ~$8000 reliable easy 350+ rwhp rwd 5 speed car and it looks cool

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

thecrimson

Derpin
Established Member
Is a motorcycle out of the question?
Yeah, just sold my street bob actually lol

I second the 944 ls1 swap! Pick up a nice 944 for around $3500 preferably 1985.5 and up and throw a ls motor into it. The guys over at renagadehybrids.com have the entire kit and motors ready for purchase. ~$8000 reliable easy 350+ rwhp rwd 5 speed car and it looks cool

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

That is intriguing, Ima check it out

Users who are viewing this thread