You have twenty thousand dollars...

thecrimson

Derpin
Established Member
Just like the title says. 20k, to build or buy a performance/track/weekend car. What car would you buy and or build and why? Granted 20k isn't alot, but if you figure you can buy a fairly decent terminator for that amount, I know there are other vehicles out there that provide that bang for buck value. C5z? Stripped fox w a blower and some suspension goodies? What I'm really looking for is vehicles that you don't hear about all the time. Obviously doesn't have to be a mustang... 20k....go!

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
What kind of track day? AutoX, drag, road course? What kind of creature comforts do you want? I would look for a fox body or SN95 GT if it were drag. Probably a 240sx if AutoX or road course and do an sr swap. If jack of all trades, probably a Vette.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
turbo s2k with good brakes and coil overs. 400+RWHP in a 2700lb car that handles great. weee.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I would buy the $3900 350z I just picked up a few weeks ago and lsx swap it. I would probably have enough left over for a nice aluminum trailer to haul it with too.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
fox body roller/with suspension, paint, body done - $5000 (project someone gave up on)
local built forged coyote, high compression, cams, CJ intake - $8500
magnum xl kit - $5000
odds and ends - $2000

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Ls3 rx7 fd
Just looked up how much an ls3 with a transmission would cost and the project would probably run up to 25k running. Thats including a 115k mile rx7.

I would do a c5z on slicks though, remove all interior and make it a track slut, add a roll bar too.

Rct851

Established Member
This is YOUR car

Well it's MY car... 20k just isn't enough for something if be satisfied with. I'd save it.
That wasn't supposed to sound as douchy as it did. I'm smack dab middle class. If I was spending 20k it would be a down payment so I could finance the remaining amount of a zr1 or something

Last edited:

thecrimson

Derpin
Established Member
Well it's MY car... 20k just isn't enough for something if be satisfied with. I'd save it.
That wasn't supposed to sound as douchy as it did. I'm smack dab middle class. If I was spending 20k it would be a down payment so I could finance the remaining amount of a zr1 or something

I hear u, but I'm curious as to how ppl would use 20k specifically and what they'd come up w.

Troponin

Established Member
The potential of $20,000 is pretty huge if you're willing to put in the work. It's probably not enough for me to do something I would really want to though. if you ddn't want as much work, would probably be a blown Fox body. If I was willing to work for it, I would build up a "junkyard jewel". Find the right one and you can have a fast and cool car with little money.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
This is YOUR car

I thought you were looking at suggestions. If I were to do it, again it depends on what kind of racing. $20k would go a long way in helping me finish my 02 GT Vert build. That is being built as more of a cruise/show car. If I were to start over, possibly a 240sx with sr swap or a SN95 GT or Cobra to build.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Some good suggestions above. I personally like the LS RX7s.

Let me throw a curve ball at you. SR20DET in a Datsun 510. 6 speed trans, turbo 4 cylinder, lightweight and independent rear.

thecrimson

Derpin
Established Member
^That's what I'm talking about... I'm digging the ls or turbo s2k. C5z with a tire, the rx7 Yeah, but the exclusivity alone will cost a premium that I'd rather throw in as parts. The Fox is dead on with a decent suspension in my book. I have more than 20k, but I think I'm gonna stick w that #.

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
I'd find a decent 99-04 Mustang GT and toss a bunch of suspension/brake/chassis goodies at it. Sure they don't make a lot of power but they can be a lot of fun to grow with.

FlashNinja11

Pipe Dream King
Established Member
With 20K I would build up my 5.0. 20K could mean all forged pistons, rods, and a built lower end. Then I would twin turbo it and do all supporting mods.

If we are talking about buying and building with a budget of 20K I would buy a used smart car and but a twin turbo hyabusa motor in it!

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
Some good suggestions above. I personally like the LS RX7s.

Let me throw a curve ball at you. SR20DET in a Datsun 510. 6 speed trans, turbo 4 cylinder, lightweight and independent rear.

I would love a SR swapped Datsun 240Z

Users who are viewing this thread