Your opinion on stock cut springs?

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Been running cut springs here for over three years and have no complaints. Car rides fine on the street, handles good, and does pretty good at the dragstrip.

JWSnake

Established Member
whats the exact tools needed to cut springs please??.....im really wanting to do this real soon it will look alot better

FWIW.. I bought this tool from Lowe's, it was like $45 but it cut through the springs like butter.

2cia4a1.jpg

JWSnake

Established Member
im going to have to invest in one of them how do you measure how much to cut off? just looking at it or what:shrug:

Sort of.. I just used a straight edge to measure from where the coil ends down to the opposite end of the coil to kind of determine where half a cut would have been, then eyeballed where 3/4 would have been, and cut a little past 3/4. After that coil was off, I placed it on top of the other spring so I could make both sides more accurately even.

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
Sort of.. I just used a straight edge to measure from where the coil ends down to the opposite end of the coil to kind of determine where half a cut would have been, then eyeballed where 3/4 would have been, and cut a little past 3/4. After that coil was off, I placed it on top of the other spring so I could make both sides more accurately even.

thank you bud for you info:beer:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
That stance looks great! :rockon: I wouldn't change a thing.

X2, looks great

what about a spring compressor or whatever that tool is to take the springs off that i heard you can just went....know what im talking about?

no spring compressor needed

You shouldn't need one for the front springs, but they sure come in handy for the rear. I rented/borrowed an internal compressor from a local auto parts store.

Don't need it in the rear either.

mikeshimek

Boost Hunter
Established Member
i was under the same impression that cutting stock springs on a cobra would be "ghetto" but with so many people having positive comments about it, im going to do that. if you use a floor jack under the rear to let the spring down would i still need a spring compressor?

mustang_guy

Established Member
You could cut another 1/4 coil in the back to level it out but there is a chance you could start getting some rub from the tires. You're running 18x10.5s right?

The rears are 10 inch wide with 315 M/T's and the rear fenders are cut so rubbing shouldnt be an issue

Pock

It’s an addiction
Established Member
Ok a few questions because I'm now sold on this as well....

1. Since I have a vert I assume I need to get a set of coupe springs?
2. Will I need to have it aligned after I cut them?
3. Will I need the Caster Camber Plates?

Thanks!

romi

Established Member
1. Since I have a vert I assume I need to get a set of coupe springs?
2. Will I need to have it aligned after I cut them?
3. Will I need the Caster Camber Plates?

1. preferred to help with our flexy verts, one step to help get rid of hop.
2. Yes, 4 wheel alignment will be required.
3. Some have gotten away without them and have been able to align it to spec. But I'd say say get them to make sure and they look good under the hood,:coolman:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
if you use a floor jack under the rear to let the spring down would i still need a spring compressor?
I tried an external spring compressor, which didn't help much... ultimately it's just easier to remove the front IRS subframe bolts.
The rears are 10 inch wide with 315 M/T's and the rear fenders are cut so rubbing shouldnt be an issue
As long as you're not using a wheel spacer, you should be ok. If you do get some rub you can roll the fender lips.

mustang_guy

Established Member
I tried an external spring compressor, which didn't help much... ultimately it's just easier to remove the front IRS subframe bolts.As long as you're not using a wheel spacer, you should be ok. If you do get some rub you can roll the fender lips.

no spacer here, my fenders are just like rolled, the back part of the fender is cut right out. It was done by a local race car shop, they did a great job

YGETV8

Established Member
no spring compressor needed

Just my experience: I didn't drop the IRS. The internal compressor let me pop the rears right out. I tried to do it that way with no compressor and they wouldn't come out. Free 'cept the 6 block trip to O'Reilly's to get the tool!

Users who are viewing this thread