Your opinion on stock cut springs?

trmin8ter03

Established Member
Did mine a few months ago. 3/4 coil all the way around and it looks great. Its a little stiffer ride but not bad at all. Be sure to get an alignment, the shop i took it too said i need a caster kit. Wouldnt go more than 3/4 a coil or you will scrape everywhere.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Use an abrasive cutting wheel. You can get them for use in disc sanders or die grinders with the right attachments.

I find it funny that this same question (posted quite often) a couple years ago brought the scorn of many, saying: "Don't be ghetto. You've got a $35K car... spend the money for real springs!" Now that enough of us have done it, you don't hear near the negative comments! I cut mine several years ago, about 7/8 coil all around. Have been nothing but happy with the results!

I will say it. You have a $35K car don't be ghetto. IMHO cutting springs is just the wrong way to do things. Yes, there are lots of people that do it without any real consequences but that does not make it the right thing to do. I will say this however, it is your car and far be it from me to criticize someone for wanting to be ghetto.

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
I just lowered mine earlier this month..3/4 coil cut all around. Settled slightly after install to give it a nice even stance about 26.5" to the fender at all 4 corners. See the link for pics. Ride quality is definitely stiffer but not too bad. I thought stock ride quality was really nice but then again I drive F150 4x4 for a DD so my opinion might not mean too much. lol

A good way to measure your cut so it is even among all 4 springs is to use string/twine. Start at the end of the pigtail and run the string along the outside of the spring until it is directly underneath the pigtail end (that would be 1 full coil). Mark the string at 1 full coil with a marker. Lay it flat and measure it. Then multiply that # by whatever amount of coil you want to remove (e.g. Length of 1 full coil X 0.75 if you want to cut 3/4 coil). Mark the string at the new measurement you calculated, run string along the outside of the spring,mark spring, then cut. ***Just make sure you are consistent with your measurements and especially when running the string along the coil!

A spring compressor is not necessary. I removed the two rear IRS subframe bolts and lowered it. However, the LR side was sitting high so I used the spring compressor when turning that spring to even it out.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...88721-finally-lowered-w-pics.html#post8102255

Last edited:

lloyyd

Cobra-less again
Established Member
I cut mine today, used Kevin's advice & did a hair less than 3/4 in the front & 5/8 in the rear. Came out good, I gotta move the clamps on my catback around & then I shouldn't have any scraping problems.

I'll post some pics in the morning.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I cut mine today, used Kevin's advice & did a hair less than 3/4 in the front & 5/8 in the rear. Came out good, I gotta move the clamps on my catback around & then I shouldn't have any scraping problems.

:pop:

Welcome to the "Ghetto" club. :beer:

mustang_guy

Established Member
Some good info here guys, looks like I might keep my current cut spring setup as the car sits and rides nice. I just thought it was a ghetto setup aswell, thats why I started this thread

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
IMHO cutting springs is just the wrong way to do things.
I don't really see why. The only real difference between a cut stock spring and a lowering spring is the cut side of the rear springs will take a bit to flatten out against the perch.

It's not like heating up the springs with a torch to bend them and screwing up the spring rate.

Last edited:

lloyyd

Cobra-less again
Established Member

Turns out my passenger side rear was 1/4 inch higher than the driver's side. I tried re-indexing them to no avail. Ended up having to cut nearly another 1/4 coil on that one. Now it's dead nuts 27 3/16 on both sides.

DSC00635.gif

I think it rides better than my white car with the H&Rs and no rubbing or scraping issues.:rockon:

JWSnake

Established Member
Turns out my passenger side rear was 1/4 inch higher than the driver's side. I tried re-indexing them to no avail. Ended up having to cut nearly another 1/4 coil on that one. Now it's dead nuts 27 3/16 on both sides.

DSC00635.gif

I think it rides better than my white car with the H&Rs and no rubbing or scraping issues.:rockon:

Looks awesome! :rockon:

lloyyd

Cobra-less again
Established Member
Looks great Lloyd, now you just need some wheels!

Thanks man. I do need some reems, I'll probably wait till I get another DD to put some nice ones on it. Plus I need a pulley or something, this thing does not satisfy in the speed dept. right now.:whine:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator

DSC00635.gif

Nice! :rockon:

They do ride great huh? :thumbsup:

lloyyd

Cobra-less again
Established Member
I keep trying to tell people but they don't want to listen. Mine looks and rides better than my Steeda's did.

They do ride great huh? :thumbsup:
Indeed. I posted on a local forum & a chick on there (on here too, 07MustangGT) asked why I cut the stock ones instead of buying good ones. Also asked why I cut & painted the stock antenna when I could buy one. Chicks these days.:lol1:

Users who are viewing this thread