Your opinion on stock cut springs?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
thank you so much buddy! i was looking for a good definate answer thanks im happy i can finally do somthing about the 4x4 look.....i mean it may not be much but man would i love it to atleast look even it would still look alot better

No problem. That should get you where it would look level. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I'm thinking about cutting 1/2" or a little less all around. How much would this affect my alignment? should I just take it in to get aligned when I'm done?
Yes. Any time you change the ride height, you should have the alignment checked.

jwlightning

Established Member
I would be careful about cutting too much on lower rate OEM springs. One of the reasons we can do this with little issues on the Cobras is that they have a pretty stiff performance spring. With a softer spring it will be a lot easier to bottom out the susp with cut coils.

Are you referring to a regular mustang? It's actually a Cobra, so I hope we'd be allright doing it. He did mention something about getting coupe springs for the rear rather than cutting his stock springs. Are we on the same page?

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
I cut 5/8 coil off a set of coupe springs for my 'vert. Can't access Photobucket right now, but you can find pics of my car under Fastphil96 there. The ride is fine, besides beeing a tad low for practicality, but it looks sick.

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
So you are willing to spend $xxxx for 18's and new tires, but you can't muster up $200 for some aftermarket springs? Do I need to go on?

YGETV8

Established Member
So you are willing to spend $xxxx for 18's and new tires, but you can't muster up $200 for some aftermarket springs? Do I need to go on?

Actually, yes... please go on. I have "18s and new tires" and am currently installing my twin turbo kit and I have cut stock springs. :shrug: I have had several people in my car and be nothing but impressed with the way it handles and rides. Anybody who feels that this mod is beneath them is more than welcome to do it and send me $200 so they don't have to admit to thier friend's that they did it "the cheap way." :beer:

Seriously... say you're looking at two different brands of springs that make the same claims and several customers can vouch for the validity of those claims. One set is $200 and one is $400. Following your guys' logic I should buy the $400 set so that I don't come across as "kind of cheesy, and lame."

lloyyd

Cobra-less again
Established Member

My white car had $200 H&Rs & my cut stockers on my new car ride better than those. Do we need to go on?

If you don't have experience with them you shouldn't knock them.

Cobrakai04

Established Member
What do you guys think of cutting 1 complete ring off an 04 convertible and leaving the ISO's on? I dont want the raked look. I want the front and back to both look to be the same height and level.

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
One coil is a lot, seriously. If you're doing it yourself (it's not that difficult), do yourself a favor and start with 1/2 to 5/8 of a coil. I did 5/8 on the first cut and it's a touch lower than I expected. Unfortunately once you've cut too much, you can't add it back. If it's not low enough, take it apart again and cut some more.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
What do you guys think of cutting 1 complete ring off an 04 convertible and leaving the ISO's on? I dont want the raked look. I want the front and back to both look to be the same height and level.
I wouldn't go 1 full coil. I would go with 3/4 with all the ISO's.

Users who are viewing this thread