Your opinion on stock cut springs?

JWSnake

Established Member
Nice wheels... :rockon:

DSCF1747.jpg

:beer:

I actually saw you post some pics of your car with those wheels in another thread recently, can't remember which one. But I remember grinning when I saw yours, because no one else has those, and supposedly everyone hates them on our cars/thinks it looks like crap.

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
lloyyd...

Off topic but why did you sell your OW cobra? ...and now I see you have black one. Your OW was NICE!!!

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
:beer:

I actually saw you post some pics of your car with those wheels in another thread recently, can't remember which one. But I remember grinning when I saw yours, because no one else has those, and supposedly everyone hates them on our cars/thinks it looks like crap.

I almost did black...I do think the regular 95 R's, while classic, are overdone, but these are a different twist, with the machined lip on them. I could do without the fake rivets, but to get a nice dished wheel on short money that goes with a Mustang I couldn't resist. I'm not ready to drop 3k on True Forged or iForged...yet.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
You want the cut the bottom of the spring. Once you look at the spring its pretty easy to figure it out, one part is flat and the other is rounded.

Think I should wait till I get new rims and tires?I want to go to 18''.

scubasteve22

Established Member
anyone know if cobra springs will fit on a GT?...i wanna lower only the front of my GT and my buddy has 04 cobra springs he will give me...not sure how they would be diff but its only the front ones..

jwlightning

Established Member
I would like to inform everyone that I am a member of the "Ghetto" club now. I have to say that it was a LOT easier than any of the how-to's make it out to be. Me and a buddy screwed off (beers) and had it done in less than 3 hours...on the ground. 10 bolts total up front, and 8 out back....no spring compressor required...just take the damn IRS bolt out. The rear was actually a LOT easier than the front.

I cut 3/4 all the way around as well as it seemed from my research to be the perfect amount. It came out perfect. Rides as good as stock....honestly....my wife was against me being "Ghetto" too, but she wants her Mustang done now that she knows I can save her $200+.

I also had a buddy with a 97 Cobra that is lowered with Eibach springs come watch. Once we finished I took him for a ride in it and now he wants to get into the attic and dig out his stockers and cut them so he can be as "Ghetto" as me.

Today, I took my buddy with a 04 convertible for a ride in it and guess what...he wants to be "Ghetto" as well....matter of fact it will happen this week.

Moral of the story is this.....research a little, quit listening to the nay-sayers, take your time and lower your Cobra to where it should be. Immediately following, take your wife/gf to an expensive dinner in the "Ghetto" with your new hooptie!!

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I would like to inform everyone that I am a member of the "Ghetto" club now. I have to say that it was a LOT easier than any of the how-to's make it out to be. Me and a buddy screwed off (beers) and had it done in less than 3 hours...on the ground. 10 bolts total up front, and 8 out back....no spring compressor required...just take the damn IRS bolt out. The rear was actually a LOT easier than the front.

I cut 3/4 all the way around as well as it seemed from my research to be the perfect amount. It came out perfect. Rides as good as stock....honestly....my wife was against me being "Ghetto" too, but she wants her Mustang done now that she knows I can save her $200+.

I also had a buddy with a 97 Cobra that is lowered with Eibach springs come watch. Once we finished I took him for a ride in it and now he wants to get into the attic and dig out his stockers and cut them so he can be as "Ghetto" as me.

Today, I took my buddy with a 04 convertible for a ride in it and guess what...he wants to be "Ghetto" as well....matter of fact it will happen this week.

Moral of the story is this.....research a little, quit listening to the nay-sayers, take your time and lower your Cobra to where it should be. Immediately following, take your wife/gf to an expensive dinner in the "Ghetto" with your new hooptie!!
Awesome! Welcome to the club! :beer:

Your "Ghetto Membership Package" will be sent out to you shortly. :thumbsup:

Actually both the fronts and rears are very easy to do. No spring compressor is needed at all as you found out.

I met a guy last week at the local GTG with a black 04 and we were talking suspension and he really liked how my stance was. We got to talking and I cut his springs yesterday. 3/4 all the way around.

He loves how it turned out and how it drives now.

Another great advantage you get by cutting the stock springs is that the factory shocks and struts were designed to dampen the rate of these springs. There is no need to buy revalved shocks and struts.

With aftermarket springs, you should buy new shocks and struts to match the spring rate. Although I'll bet 99.9% of people who buy aftermarket springs DON'T buy them.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I would be careful about cutting too much on lower rate OEM springs. One of the reasons we can do this with little issues on the Cobras is that they have a pretty stiff performance spring. With a softer spring it will be a lot easier to bottom out the susp with cut coils.

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
im going to lower the rear end of the car 3/4'' to atleast be even with the front and "somewhat" get rid of the ugly 4x4 look........the reason im not going to lower the car all the way around quit yet is because the driveway at my house and the exhhaust clearence....never heard of this but im assuming its because most people dont have my problem and they lower the car all the way around which i would if i could....anyone see a problem with this att all please need all input that i can get before i do this tomorrow around noon???

thank you,
anthony

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
im going to lower the rear end of the car 3/4'' to atleast be even with the front and "somewhat" get rid of the ugly 4x4 look........the reason im not going to lower the car all the way around quit yet is because the driveway at my house and the exhhaust clearence....never heard of this but im assuming its because most people dont have my problem and they lower the car all the way around which i would if i could....anyone see a problem with this att all please need all input that i can get before i do this tomorrow around noon???

thank you,
anthony
It doesn't take much to get 3/4" lower by cutting the rear springs. I would say a little less than 1/2 a coil should get you the 3/4" you are looking for.

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
It doesn't take much to get 3/4" lower by cutting the rear springs. I would say a little less than 1/2 a coil should get you the 3/4" you are looking for.

thank you so much buddy! i was looking for a good definate answer thanks :thumbsup: im happy i can finally do somthing about the 4x4 look.....i mean it may not be much but man would i love it to atleast look even it would still look alot better:shrug:
064.gif

keith89

Established Member
I'm thinking about cutting 1/2" or a little less all around. How much would this affect my alignment? should I just take it in to get aligned when I'm done?

Users who are viewing this thread