Z06...highway run

sbc.cobra

HUWHAT!!!
Established Member
well, i was headed to my in-laws house saturday afternoon (beautiful day out) and i was cruising at about 75mph on I-45. well, i look up ahead and there's a beautiful black vette. i didn't need to speed up b/c i was going faster than him and as i passed i noticed it was brand new (still had paper plate), but already had aftermarket exahust. then i see the "Z06" badge on the side. i gave the guy a thumbs up for a nice car and continued on. well, after about 5 miles, i notice him weaving in and out of traffic and he runs up on me...sweet!

he was on my butt so i threw it in 3rd and punched it...bam! i pulled ahead about 2 lenghts before traffic arrived, so i slow down and he cruises passed me and gives me the thumbs up. then there is another opening so i got over on his right side and i was at his back bumper doing about 75 mph again and i put it in 3rd and as i was downshifting i hear his exhaust get louder and he jumps out about 2 cars, but that was it, b/c once i hit 3rd, i gained the 2 cars on him and put another 2 on him going to 4th gear...had to shut it down at about 115mph, but i made up about 4 lengths. i was very impressed w/ my car. i did not think i would pull on him that much.

anyway, we slowed back down and pulled up next to me and we both gave each other the thumbs up and smiled. nice race and really cool guy.

edit: mods (to protect from the flaming that has already started)...2.93 upper, magnaflow catback and x-pipe, billetflow TB, densecharger CAI, autologic chip, NGK plugs, steeda tri-ax shifter.

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
Good kill.:beer:

Soon we will be hearing about how bad the driver was and how it had to be an older model from the year 1907.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
Good kill.:beer:

Soon we will be hearing about how bad the driver was and how it had to be an older model from the year 1907.

Are you crazy!? Even the 1907's can beat a 2003 Cobra with a couple minor mods! :-D

(hope I didnt just light this place on fire but I couldnt hold back :) )

99SVTcobraVERT

i dont know abotu this, i love cobra's and i love our beloved SVT. but stock 02/03 zo6 i have run in various cars and they are FAST from roll and DEADLY at 80mph+ a stock cobra shouldnt have pulled no 4 cars on a Z06 by 115. no way... to pull that hard after he punches it with aftermarket exhaust (which one vette's or any ls1 ls6 for that matter adds 20rwhp+) i say either BS flag on the car lengths or the story. and/or bad driver, and wasnt pushing it because it was BRAND new. OR it was a used low mileage 2001 with bad driver because even those made 350+ with exhaust, hell made that stock. we all knwo that the 03 cobra is 25k or so cheaper and just as fast in some cases and sometimes slower. so not beating up on 03. i love them. BUT i have seen half and half of vids were cobra won vs z06 stock to stock and half where zo6 wins. and i have seen on this site alone stock numbers on 03 cobra be between 350-380rwhp that is considerable difference. we all know ls6 and 1's are famous for freaks with gobs of power, but have they ever been famous for making a zo6 so underpowered that a 380rwhp cobra would beat up on it like that when it gets the go? unless your car is making 430rwhp+ then you didnt pull on that Z like that and even at that power he was pushing it or couldnt drive! and if brand new it makes at least 370's-380's. since when has 50rwhp and the other car getting the hit been 4 cars from 80ish to 115? you are not going to pull a vette THAT hard up top without 100+rwhp more. for the simple fact that its body is made for trips to 170 range all day long. not to mention the other car making MORE torque 9x's out of 10? could he have beat z06 stock with exhaust.....maybe yes,maybe no.....win by 4 cars and make it look easy.....most def not!

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
Me either, but you just KNOW it's coming.:bored:

lol Not that this is any surprise but you deffinatly called it... Even started by one of our own this time too :nonono:.

03CobraBro

Established Member
I wonder what the excuses were back when the GN's were slapping the C4's around back in the 80's.

They were probably still going on about how the 350 was superior because it was N/A.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Originally posted by NOScobra2001
i dont know abotu this, i love cobra's and i love our beloved SVT. but stock 02/03 zo6 i have run in various cars and they are FAST from roll and DEADLY at 80mph+ a stock cobra shouldnt have pulled no 4 cars on a Z06 by 115. no way... to pull that hard after he punches it with aftermarket exhaust (which one vette's or any ls1 ls6 for that matter adds 20rwhp+) i say either BS flag on the car lengths or the story. and/or bad driver, and wasnt pushing it because it was BRAND new. OR it was a used low mileage 2001 with bad driver because even those made 350+ with exhaust, hell made that stock. we all knwo that the 03 cobra is 25k or so cheaper and just as fast in some cases and sometimes slower. so not beating up on 03. i love them. BUT i have seen half and half of vids were cobra won vs z06 stock to stock and half where zo6 wins. and i have seen on this site alone stock numbers on 03 cobra be between 350-380rwhp that is considerable difference. we all know ls6 and 1's are famous for freaks with gobs of power, but have they ever been famous for making a zo6 so underpowered that a 380rwhp cobra would beat up on it like that when it gets the go? unless your car is making 430rwhp+ then you didnt pull on that Z like that and even at that power he was pushing it or couldnt drive! and if brand new it makes at least 370's-380's. since when has 50rwhp and the other car getting the hit been 4 cars from 80ish to 115? you are not going to pull a vette THAT hard up top without 100+rwhp more. for the simple fact that its body is made for trips to 170 range all day long. not to mention the other car making MORE torque 9x's out of 10? could he have beat z06 stock with exhaust.....maybe yes,maybe no.....win by 4 cars and make it look easy.....most def not!

Aren't you the guy who got beat up on by a bolt on ACURA with a 100shot? From a roll no less? Maybe that right there would tell ya that paper racing is overrated. And an aftermarket exhaust-which ill assume means aa catback- adding 20+ hp? please maybe headers and a short h. But not a catback. I've seen 01 385 hp z06's, with borlas put down 350 rwhp. I've also seen an 01 put down 343 bone stock. Even 01's with headers and some other simple mods were only in the 370-380 range. So lets say its an 02 0r 03 and is making 25hp more now were talkin 350-360 range stock and a little bit more for the exhaust. There are so many factors involved its impossible to call bs. the vette may have been in the wrong gear-the driver may have let off - or our boy in the 03 might just be sittin on a 550rwhp monster, so cut the guy a little slack. If ya wanna talk bs, lemme tell ya bout the time I whooped up on a viper, in my stock '99.

99SVTcobraVERT

yes im the guy that got beat by an acura on 100 shot, with a malfunction solenoid (which on the dyno produced 347rwhp and 406rwtq on 150 shot @900psi before it was replaced), which now is replaced a rematch is yet to happen. this is so much in the past its not funny, not to mention has no validity in this thread. now BACK on subject. a complete catback on any ls1/ls6 is 20rwhp on the average, some even more. i have seen ls1 do things i didnt think possible, maybe go back and read the post and quote it one more time. i SAID maybe the driver couldnt drive (which would go along with not being in the right gear for racing) i have never been fan of lt1,ls1,ls6 etc etc but what they can do with bolting on headers,h and catback makes the same mods on a cobra look like a joke power wise. blah blah its a pushrod,blah blah blah its 1.1 liters more, and is 346 and some change cubic inch. not getting into that debate. so please spare me guys, i made my choice so im not against SVT. and one more thing, i never said he wasnt sitting on a 550rwhp cobra, i just said IF IT WAS STOCK. and based my post on him being stock or slightly mod. so please no flaming, i was just posting the facts on the zo6 from what i had seen. so i dont want a post war with e green or anyone else. you are right many things can happen off the paper and on the road. im just saying he has a mid 12 sec car minimum ,car cant help he could be a 14 second driver lol. peace

03CobraBro

Established Member
Not to be a smart ass, but the Z06 would have to be quicker than a mid 12 second car, Iv seen atleast a doesn 03 Cobra's on here run in the 12.5 range stock.

Which would also mean the SRT-10, with its extra 100hp would have to be alot quicker than the 11.9's the ones iv heard have been getting. Yet I havent really heard of any of them besting that. hmm :??:

Last edited:

99SVTcobraVERT

average zo6 on stock tires runs 12.5's that is average driver i have seen them go low 12's stock and high 11's with exhaust and good driver. im telling you those ls6 with just bolt ons will blow your mind....

sbc.cobra

HUWHAT!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by NOScobra2001

sorry, i was out of pocket for a while...call BS all you want. here are my mods (should have listed them in the first place...sorry for the confusion).

2.93 upper, magnaflow catback and x-pipe, Billetflow TB, Autologic chip, Densecharger CAI, NGK plugs gapped .037, steeda tri-ax shifter. gonna dyno it saturday, but my buddy w/ the EXACT same mods and chip burn (from same tuner) put down 456 rwhp and 475ish rwtq.

i'm telling you, if he didn't have that thing wrapped out (by the sound of it), i'll be a monkey's uncle.

now then, w/ the list of mods, the story seems more believable.

edit: 1st time to post a kill story...should have included all of the info in the first post so as to not confuse anyone.

Last edited:

sbc.cobra

HUWHAT!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
lol Not that this is any surprise but you deffinatly called it... Even started by one of our own this time too :nonono:.

easy trigger, i was not around after i posted it. i forgot to put my mods.

Users who are viewing this thread