Z06...highway run

03CobraBro

Established Member
I noticed on a couple other sites when somebody says they've beat an 03 Cobra nobody jumps the gun and says "No way, No way somebody beat an 03 Cobra with that list, bleh bleh bleh." My point is why does this stuff always seem to apply to every other car but our own? Or am I just missing it?

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
I noticed on a couple other sites when somebody says they've beat an 03 Cobra nobody jumps the gun and says "No way, No way somebody beat an 03 Cobra with that list, bleh bleh bleh." My point is why does this stuff always seem to apply to every other car but our own? Or am I just missing it?
The difference is we are not disillusioned like the others.:-D :beer:

The Red Baron

Established Member
Hey man good kill!!!! I just Had a Kill on a z06 last week.. and even though my car has a heavy list of mods, that Z06 did not impress me very much.:( and it was a 405hp Z06 too!!! Its seems to me people idalize these cars, and for what reason:shrug: just like the other guys said, at the track they are a high 12's car stock, w/ a good driver.... I wouldnt worry about these cars w/ a set of good tires a stock 03 cobra pulls better times than that.. give me a break on the worshiping of the Z06 :rolleyes:
Baron~

lovemycobra

Established Member
Originally posted by The Red Baron
just like the other guys said, at the track they are a high 12's car stock, w/ a good driver

not to burst your bubble, but the Z06 is a low-mid 12 second car with a good driver, and a high 12 sec car with a descent drive.

Most good drivers get consistent 12.2-.4 stock.

Put DR's on it with a CAI and some people have hit high 11's.
Just a FYI

:beer:

99SVTcobraVERT

just adding to what love said, a cold air,catback and h pipe will yeild high 11's on street radials from factory (this i have seen with own eyes) and high 11's ALL DAY long with decent to good driver on drag radials! they WILL in factory form straight out of the packaging run low to mid 12's. this however is not a rule because of how many drivers have them and cant drive. just what they are capable of.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
yea yea yea, and with shorties,and xpipe,catback,chip and stick axled 4.56-shiftin like Bob Cosby I can run mid 11's all day long...blah blah blah- and with an '03 and 2k in mods I can run those 11's too- so what? Ls6's don't make that much power- big deal 405 hp N/a outta 346cid or 1.17hp a ci, compared to a '01- @ 1.14hp a ci, Ls1@ 1.01hp a ci, 03@ 1.39hp a ci, and the 03 Viper @ .99hp a ci. The difference is the Z weighs in at 3200 lbs. which equates to a damn fine power to weight ratio- @ 7.9 lbs an hp- thats why Z06's are fast no other reason- the ls6 is not a godsend- its got 400lbs less to tote around. 12 sec cars from the factory are nice- but lets not get overboard here- its still just a stock vette.

03CobraBro

Established Member
I agree

P.S. lol, everytime you post something I picture that dog sitting at the keyboard typing it in hehe :-D

99SVTcobraVERT

whatever, slap 8lbs of boost to it and same mods and welcome to your worst nightmare! boost vs. na jesus just give it up to the vette for making that power w/o breaking a sweat d*mn. i have a small cubic inch motor just like you. plain and simple there is no substitute for cubic inches. all we are doing is playing catch up and its very fun to brag our cars weigh more, have less displacement have less ci.

lovemycobra

Established Member
agreed.

you guys keep on bashing on the Z06, saying it isnt impressive blah blah blah. If it isnt impressive, then what can you say about our cars?? a little less impressive? The Z06 is a bad ass ride. Period. A car coming out of show room floor that runs 12.5 bone stock that handles and brakes as good if not better then a car that costs 3x as much is pretty damn impressive to me. Am i saying the Cobra isnt impressive? Hell no. I love my Cobra. I personally think the Cobra is the best bag for the buck. But damn guys, give credit where credit is due.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by NOScobra2001
whatever, slap 8lbs of boost to it and same mods and welcome to your worst nightmare! boost vs. na jesus just give it up to the vette for making that power w/o breaking a sweat d*mn. i have a small cubic inch motor just like you. plain and simple there is no substitute for cubic inches. all we are doing is playing catch up and its very fun to brag our cars weigh more, have less displacement have less ci.

Like I said before if your going to slap 8 pounds of boost into an LS1/LS6 I would imagine it would be pretty quick, atleast I would hope. But, if your going to give the LS engines 5000 dollars to work with, we've got to imagine what the 03 Cob engine is going to be doing with 5000 dollars in mods. Im flattered that your giving the Cobra the benifit of the doubt by implying that its going to take as much as a blower costs for an LS1/LS6 to atleast make us look bad, but lets keep things in perspective.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by lovemycobra
agreed.

you guys keep on bashing on the Z06, saying it isnt impressive blah blah blah. If it isnt impressive, then what can you say about our cars?? a little less impressive? The Z06 is a bad ass ride. Period. A car coming out of show room floor that runs 12.5 bone stock that handles and brakes as good if not better then a car that costs 3x as much is pretty damn impressive to me. Am i saying the Cobra isnt impressive? Hell no. I love my Cobra. I personally think the Cobra is the best bag for the buck. But damn guys, give credit where credit is due.

Guys here is the reason Im not quite as enthused as most about the Z06... The ZR1 was doing all of that back in the early 90's. Granted the Z06 has its advantages in certain areas but it has been 10 years.

Look at it this way.

Since 1992 look how far the Viper engine has come, let alone the car itself, started out at 400 crank horse, now in 2003 im here'ing rumors that the new vipers are dynoing closer to 500RWHP than crank, thats close to a difference of 120horse out of that machine.

Since 1992 look how far the fastest mustang power plant has come, 225hp 300lbs of torque 11 years later the fastest production mustang is producing 390hp and an equal ammount in torque, im giving you the benifit of the doubt by not mentioning how underrated that is.

Since 1992 look at the fastest vette 1992 ZR1 LT5's were pushing out 385hp (1993/95 were making 405 horse power). GM's 350 has virtually progressed Nill in the passed 10 years. Maybe the LS series breaths better or something, but all I know is the LS6 really isnt anything new as far as a 350's output is concerned. Now thats impressive that the 350's output since 1993 is still competitive to todays standards but its just hard to be impressed by an engine thats been pumping out that kind of power for years.

Last edited:

03CobraBro

Established Member
When and If Chevy finally decides to build a 450/500 horse LS6 C6 then Ill be impressed. Impressed that they finally got there asses over that 405hp hump they've been stuck on for the passed decade.

The Red Baron

Established Member
Originally posted by lovemycobra
not to burst your bubble, but the Z06 is a low-mid 12 second car with a good driver, and a high 12 sec car with a descent drive.

Most good drivers get consistent 12.2-.4 stock.

Put DR's on it with a CAI and some people have hit high 11's.
Just a FYI

:beer:
Well JFI I live in a totaly diferent altitude as you and every Z06 ive seen run, runs no better than a mid 12!! Im sure they are capable of better but I go from what I see W/ my own 2 eyes...
My buddies father has one and runs constant 12.5's-12.7's all day long. forgive me for beeing at sea level and @ a 100% humidity every day.. Im not saying your wrong but just what I see......:p

The Red Baron

Established Member
Originally posted by NOScobra2001
just adding to what love said, a cold air,catback and h pipe will yeild high 11's on street radials from factory (this i have seen with own eyes) and high 11's ALL DAY long with decent to good driver on drag radials! they WILL in factory form straight out of the packaging run low to mid 12's. this however is not a rule because of how many drivers have them and cant drive. just what they are capable of.
If you worship then so much then why dont you trade you car in on one??????? I said a stock Z06, not a modded Z06. Im not saying they cant run them times w/ DR's, (im sure its possible) But from what I see at the track that hasnt been accomplished yet.... My friends dads car Has Nitto's on it an its a Z06 and it runs the best of a 12.58??? I think thats a mid 12 to me????
I'm not trying to be an ass, but dude its a chevy, and has more "Cubic Inches". despite the blower 281 vs 346 is a big difference...
Baron~

99SVTcobraVERT

put a blower on a Z06 and a set of slicks. 14lbs of boost on a Zo6 would be very bad news for an 03 cobra....given their launch ablity and are much lighter. and i dont know maybe Zo6 can handle more than 14lbs of boost, does anyone know? im with everyone that cobra is best bang for buck, but just because you didnt have 54k to spend on a car that you drive once a month or it just wasnt feasible space wise or for your application. (so those with money dont get offended. "i could afford one but i didnt")dont be bashing it or playing it down. that is just not giving credit where credit is deserved. the Zo6 is your race compitition not your campaign compitition so mudd sligging isnt necessary. remember that there is a difference between the two.

03CobraBro

Established Member
You forgot to mention those visits to the chevy dealer to get leaks taken care of ever so often if you plan on pumping 14 pounds of boost through an all alluminum engine with a 10.5 compression ratio. After you buy a more sturdy crank, heads, and a larger intake, to support forced induction, you'll have had to have spent atleast 6 or 7 thousand good dollars.

Now from what I heard, that nitrous pete guy's car, the rumor was he spent alittle over 5000 dollars and pulled that 9.99 with the Cobra's IRS. Granted that 5000 dollar number is still a rumor, I doubt its off by more than 2 or 3 thousand at the most. Thats not too bad IMO.

99SVTcobraVERT

not saying that isnt bad,but what would a Zo6 run with heads,larger intake,crank and all that? and i dont know about 5000, sounds a little light to me. esp since he did it on the IRS. which you know he had to build the sh*t out of to keep from snapping in half.

99SVTcobraVERT

and ok fine back to stock VS. stock what happens with cobra lines up with new Zo6 it comes down to drive most of the time. im one of the ones that barely have the money to pay payments and insurance on Zo6 much less mod it. im waiting for the new mustang to come out to see what it is like before i buy a 03 cobra. i dont want to make the same mistake i did by buying new 01 and then the 03 comes out. want to see then new cobra. give me a stock 03 cobra on drag radials and a stock Zo6 with radials. and ill see you at the finish line. course that is for 20k more. so back to the drawing board of bang for buck. i dont worship i just give credit, and if you think the Zr1 and zo6 are same or near same you need to have your head examined. run a Zr1 against a Zo6 and you will see what 10 years has done, not quite as much as viper or cobra. but then again its a vette....they dont have to. a viper is high priced and only makes the car for the super rich to drive around. the mustangs and cobras were made for us average middle class/ upper class guys. the reason mustang kept getting fastet was because chevy was getting faster. the reason the viper got faster was because the vette was getting faster. vette and ls1 set the bar. no matter what you want to say, its true. if there werent an lt1 we wouldnt have had the birth of dohc , if there werent the ls1 we would have 320hp. and if there werent the vette making 350 and z making 405 we wouldnt have 390 cobra. so chew on that one for a little while.

99SVTcobraVERT

ford won the war on value for the buck no question. but there was only a war because chevy made the power and said "ok play catch up" this is what we have been doing since 93 since 275hp lt1 came out against our 215gt and 235 cobra. lighten up. its a bad a** car that none of us wouldnt buy for the price of a cobra. so give it some credit

Users who are viewing this thread