Z06->lightning?

albino96

White is the fastst color
Established Member
I got approved for $15k on a lightning. now i just gotta see if I'm really gonna go through with it lol.

albino96

Established Member
So I went to look at one. I was a little disappointed because he forgot to tell me on the phone that it had a salvaged title (but he still wanted 14.5k for it). It also had a nitrous kit hooked up to it (even though he said he never used it). I obviously wasn't going to buy this one, but I hdan't driven one yet so I wanted to drive it. He didn't know if it had a pulley or not, but the boost topped out at what looked like 11-12 lbs on the stock gauge.

First thing I noticed before getting in is that I loved the way it looked. I love lightnings as far as looks for sure. When I started driving the first thing I noticed what that it was really smooth. I would be happy with it being that smooth as a DD (although I would probalby put a 3/4 lowering kit on it so I don't know how smooth it would be after). I stepped on teh gas and it was wierd to have some power and not shift. I think I just need to get used to that. I was a little disappointed in the power although I shouldn't have been surprised. I am so used to pressing the pedal (not even all the way) and it throws you back in your seat. The truck didn't really do that. It just felt really heavy is the best way to describe it.

So now I have some questions:

1. What would it take to get a lightning into the 11's? Built motor and KB/Whipple get me there?

2. How much do these trucks weigh?

I think I just need to realize that whatever I buy won't be as fast as my vette. I can't really afford my vette and can't expect a cheaper car to be just as fast. I think I will still keep looking for a lightning. I didn't see any more white ones in my area for a reasonable price.

The search continues!!!

SvtRacing

Established Member
vette-lightning

If you go built with a L you probably won't miss the vette..there is something different about going fast in a lightning. Built motor and 3.4 whipple you could be in the 10's with a day to day driver.

chrisheltra

Established Member
If you go built with a L you probably won't miss the vette..there is something different about going fast in a lightning. Built motor and 3.4 whipple you could be in the 10's with a day to day driver.

Youll probably go faster with a 2.3 because very few if any have figured out the 3.4 yet and how to make them go fast.

Scuba-Matt has his built motor 2.3 down to 10.29 and I personally know of 4-5 local L's going 10's with the 3.4. One local L owner who has been 10's with a 2.3 has been struggling lately to get the 3.4 to work like the 2.3 did.

chesster51

Established Member
You can get into the 11's with a whipple or kb with supporting mods on a stock block. There's quite a few of us doing it. Not the safest thing to do but with a good safe tune you should be alright. I run 14* timing and 11.4 a/f on pump gas which is pretty conservative and run high 11's. I could get more aggressive with the tune and easily get mid 11's but not worth taking the chance.

albino96

Established Member
Also, someone offered me a HD +$10k for my vette, and I really wish I liked the HD's as much as the lightnings right about now.

albino96

Established Member
Do you have to do much to the tranny and rear on L's to hold the power that would make you go 11's?

chrisheltra

Established Member
Not really you could run them completely stock but I would recommend a Stall, Valve Body and for the rear a Detroit True Trak or a Detroit Locker.

These transmissions are F250 diesel trans so they are pretty stout from the factory.

albino96

Established Member
Not really you could run them completely stock but I would recommend a Stall, Valve Body and for the rear a Detroit True Trak or a Detroit Locker.

These transmissions are F250 diesel trans so they are pretty stout from the factory.

That's what I like to hear!

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
You can go 11's on the stock longblock with a twin screw and supporting mods. Provided the previous owner took care of it of course. I went 11.46 with a Whipple. I was also on the stock tranny (with a converter and shift kit) and stock rear end. I'm still on the stock rear end now. A stock Lightning won't impress you after having the Vette but a nicely modded one will.

AL-B

Established Member
What about this one, i know its not white but is loaded already nice wheels, drop tinted windows, built motor and a whip! good luck youl love these trucks i love mine ;-] Item number: 390135299510 Thank you for your interest in another extra clean 2002 Ford F-150 SVT Lightning brought to you by one of the largest wholesale dealerships in the country, Global Motorcars of Houston. This truck was traded in at a large Ford dealership here in the USA. When I think of the start of automotive, I think of Ford. And with this clean F-150 Lightning, Ford still upholds its long history of excellent automotive manufacturing. You will not be disappointed with this Ford F-150 SVT Lightning with our aggressive wholesale price.

This Ford Lightning comes with:

Xenon Lights
20" Chrome Wheels
$18,000.00 Builted Motor
Upgraded Whipple Supercharger

albino96

Established Member
^^I have to get an 03-04 because that's all I can get financed on. Unless I change credit unions which I just haven't looked into yet.

Plus I kinda wanna build the truck myself anyway.

99kblightning

Established Member
I think I just need to realize that whatever I buy won't be as fast as my vette. I can't really afford my vette and can't expect a cheaper car to be just as fast. I think I will still keep looking for a lightning. I didn't see any more white ones in my area for a reasonable price.

The search continues!!![/QUOTE]

hate to bust your bubble but your vette wasnt that fast.there are tones of lightnings that would rape your car.my friends pulley,port cobra ran 125 in the quarter.
Ct top guns lightning ran 10.00 at 133+ with stock tranny,rear,basic built motor and a tinny mp blower,with a little spray.
even drove it 100s of miles to and from the track!!!!
plus there are vettes everywhere,lightnings are rare and special.oh and there are much faster than they feel.
ive owned and or driven,a c5zo6,turbo 99z28,03 cobra,procharged sn95,built foxbodys,tubed chevyII,2000 z28 H/C spray and Id take my lightning over all of them.

Last edited:

albino96

Established Member

The search continues!!!

Thanks, I almost forgot that I said that... lol

albino96

Established Member
hate to bust your bubble but your vette wasnt that fast.there are tones of lightnings that would rape your car.my friends pulley,port cobra ran 125 in the quarter.
Ct top guns lightning ran 10.00 at 133+ with stock tranny,rear,basic built motor and a tinny mp blower,with a little spray.
even drove it 100s of miles to and from the track!!!!
plus there are vettes everywhere,lightnings are rare and special.oh and there are much faster than they feel.
ive owned and or driven,a c5zo6,turbo 99z28,03 cobra,procharged sn95,built foxbodys,tubed chevyII,2000 z28 H/C spray and Id take my lightning over all of them.

Lol, I've been around plenty of fast cars and i know what fast is. Compared to a stockish lightning my vette is fast as f***. That was the context i was stating it in. Besides, since when is mid 11's on a car I drive 50 miles a day (while getting 25mpg freeway) not that fast? There are two cobras in our local club that are going twin turbo for 1k rwhp. 1 of them ran a 6.9 in the 1/8th on a whipple. I don't have a big head about my car being fast and I know where I stand. My car is far from the fastest even in our smallish local club.

All I was saying is the lightning is going to be a harder to make fast mainly because it weighs as much as a small herd of elephants and has the aerodynamics of a barn.

:beer:

Last edited:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
All I was saying is the lightning is going to be a harder to make fast mainly because it weighs as much as a small herd of elephants and has the aerodynamics of a barn.

:beer:

You're right about the weight and aerodynamics but it's surprisingly easy to make these trucks fast. They're a great platform despite their handicaps.

wd13

Established Member
These trucks really are very easy to make fast.... to a point. I currently own two. One is built and the other is my DD that hasnt even had a valvecover lifted. I'm in the process of making the stockish one run 11's with the little Heaton and a few very basic bolt-ons. There is no getting around the fact that these trucks are heavy and thats something that all of us have to deal with. However, they truely are a great platform. You get comfort, convenience, performance, and a truck all in one package. Now if only Ford made one in a 4x4.

albino96

Established Member
These trucks really are very easy to make fast.... to a point. I currently own two. One is built and the other is my DD that hasnt even had a valvecover lifted. I'm in the process of making the stockish one run 11's with the little Heaton and a few very basic bolt-ons. There is no getting around the fact that these trucks are heavy and thats something that all of us have to deal with. However, they truely are a great platform. You get comfort, convenience, performance, and a truck all in one package. Now if only Ford made one in a 4x4.

So, what's the point you speak of that's hard to get past?

SVTL Joe Joe

Banned
You're right about the weight and aerodynamics but it's surprisingly easy to make these trucks fast. They're a great platform despite their handicaps.

+1 i went from a 14.30 to a 12.50 on a tune and a pulley

ill be damned to find another 15k truck and shave 2 seconds off the quarter by doing a tune and changing a ring.

BTW you should look into another credit union times may have changed but you should be able to get an 02 depending on mileage and what its worth

when i got my 01 in mid 08 they didnt want to give me the loan on it but after i showed them the miles they were more than happy to. and i got a GREAT interest rate

good luck on the search

Users who are viewing this thread