Z06->lightning?

SVTL Joe Joe

Banned
So, what's the point you speak of that's hard to get past?

they have a limp noodle frame and even more of a joke are the factory rods for racing

the frame flexes ALOT and i havnt seen a picture of a truck lift the front end up even without a roll bar.

but with built rods and a blower while still using stock or reworked stock heads on the stock cubic inch of the motor its amazing the power you can make

i think the "wall" our trucks have is top speed on the freeway the lightnings dont rev very high and its not very aerodynamic, that and its never a good idea to go faster than your non-overdrive gears will let you IMO (as in dont do WOT pulls in with o/d on)

just some more 2 cents on the issue

Last edited:

albino96

White is the fastst color
Established Member
I think I'd be pretty happy with low 12's. All ^^that stuff if about what I expect. My problem now is I only have 1 L left in my price range to go look at. Prices seem to generally be higher in california. This one is a white 03 with 65k on it listed for $15k. If it's good and I can talk him down to 14 I'll probably do it. Hopefully this one won't be salvaged like all the other ones I've looked at...

If that's not good I either need to look at black ones or find another credit union to get a pre-03 (although I like 03+ the best). I can't go too far from me because the seller will have to be present at my bank and there's not too many branchers.

SVTL Joe Joe

Banned
If that's not good I either need to look at black ones or find another credit union to get a pre-03 (although I like 03+ the best). I can't go too far from me because the seller will have to be present at my bank and there's not too many branchers.

thats a bitch isnt it? i thought my bank was the only nazi credit union.

good luck on the hunt and get a carfax done.

albino96

Established Member
thats a bitch isnt it? i thought my bank was the only nazi credit union.

good luck on the hunt and get a carfax done.

Just ran a carfax on my last remaining good one and it's a clean 1 owner vehicle, which is awesome, but it says it's at a dealer. If that's true I doubt the dealer is sellinig it in my price range. I'll find out tomorrow. I just wanna find my truck. I have a 1 track mind and have literally been looking like a hawk every time I'm around my computer.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
they have a limp noodle frame and even more of a joke are the factory rods for racing

the frame flexes ALOT and i havnt seen a picture of a truck lift the front end up even without a roll bar.

but with built rods and a blower while still using stock or reworked stock heads on the stock cubic inch of the motor its amazing the power you can make

i think the "wall" our trucks have is top speed on the freeway the lightnings dont rev very high and its not very aerodynamic, that and its never a good idea to go faster than your non-overdrive gears will let you IMO (as in dont do WOT pulls in with o/d on)

just some more 2 cents on the issue

I agree with you on the freeway pulls. Having a 4spd auto in a vehicle with these aerodynamics doesn't make a good highway bomber (although the turbo does help a lot). Although the rods are a weak link in the engine we do ask an awful lot of them. They're not bad for a stock part. Unfortunatley we didn't get the benefit the Cobras got. Still, I made 501/582 with my street tune on the stock stuff with no problems. As for the frame and pulling the wheels without a cage, there are several people that have done it, including myself. I pulled the left front when I had the stock longblock and again after I went built. This was at "full weight" and I didn't even have the front sway bar pulled. Of course a cage is going to stiffen things up considerably but I wouldn't call the stock frame weak.

SVTL Joe Joe

Banned
I agree with you on the freeway pulls. Having a 4spd auto in a vehicle with these aerodynamics doesn't make a good highway bomber (although the turbo does help a lot). Although the rods are a weak link in the engine we do ask an awful lot of them. They're not bad for a stock part. Unfortunatley we didn't get the benefit the Cobras got. Still, I made 501/582 with my street tune on the stock stuff with no problems. As for the frame and pulling the wheels without a cage, there are several people that have done it, including myself. I pulled the left front when I had the stock longblock and again after I went built. This was at "full weight" and I didn't even have the front sway bar pulled. Of course a cage is going to stiffen things up considerably but I wouldn't call the stock frame weak.

i agree completely, he wanted the downside though

and really thats about it IMO

we have a great trans, rear end and engine design.

i didnt exactly mean to get on the L's case by going after the frame and the rods, but face it the frame gets twisty with high power and the rods break LOL

but i do 100% agree with our rods being good for what they are and the stroke they have to take. they just were not designed for the HP we are capable of, but in a stock application they do just fine.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
i agree completely, he wanted the downside though

and really thats about it IMO

we have a great trans, rear end and engine design.

i didnt exactly mean to get on the L's case by going after the frame and the rods, but face it the frame gets twisty with high power and the rods break LOL

but i do 100% agree with our rods being good for what they are and the stroke they have to take. they just were not designed for the HP we are capable of, but in a stock application they do just fine.

Definitely, when we twist these things up the stock rods and pistons got to go!

SVTL Joe Joe

Banned
Definitely, when we twist these things up the stock rods and pistons got to go!

pfffft what do you know about high hp? your still in the triple digits!

j/k with ya man i love your truck and your right, these trucks are great until you get up the power then as with any car you need supporting mods :beer:

Last edited:

wd13

Established Member
So, what's the point you speak of that's hard to get past?

IMO mid-low 10's is pretty easy. Expensive, but easy. Faster than that is where it starts to get complicated, with a street truck anyway. Not only does it take alot of power but it also takes alot of time to figure out the suspension. Traction is key to running good times. These things are to heavy and have to much frontal area to be able to leg it out down the big end.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
pfffft what do you know about high hp? your still in the triple digits!

j/k with ya man i love your truck and your right, these trucks are great until you get up the power then as with any car you need supporting mods :beer:

Thanks man. Speaking of triple digits, if I ever get my freaking turbo back from Precision I'll be back on the dyno for an E85 tune and I'll be cranking it up on C16 again for those quadruple numbers. :beer:

patrick_01svt

Established Member
i own an 01 L basically stock love the power and ride comfort and about the auto trans it is a 4r100hd (4spd rear wheel drive 1000 ftlbs tq) very reliable transmissions even stock i was racing once and had a torque converter seal leak and drained my trans til it started slipping! repaired the leak added fluid still running fine for me at this time and that was almost two years ago

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Im sorry but this is the first time i see the OP's vette in his sig. I must now say f*** a lightning. Keep the vette, amen. :)

Perhaps i feel that way cuz i cant even afford a used c5 z06 so i might be biased. Although the money i spent going built etc, i could of bought a used one by now for sure.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Im sorry but this is the first time i see the OP's vette in his sig. I must now say f*** a lightning. Keep the vette, amen. :)

Perhaps i feel that way cuz i cant even afford a used c5 z06 so i might be biased. Although the money i spent going built etc, i could of bought a used one by now for sure.

You can pick up a very nice '02 Z06 for $20k-$22k.

albino96

Established Member

I'll trade for yours + cash :rolling:

I put a lot of money into mine. I could afford the payments and maintenance, I just coudln't afford to build the drivetrain like I did and now I gotta sell it.

Last edited:

MJG

Established Member
MEH vettes are sweet and all, couple friends have them, one built to fly. BUT they're very common, around here at least and after being in a few, I'll take a 12 sec or better L any day of the week IMO

_XXX_

Established Member
I love vettes... But I'm into L's an Camaro's... plus 60's-70's muscle but ya that's more money n time then I have right now!

Good Luck on the search... Get a Auto broker... Most are very reasonable

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I'll trade for yours + cash :rolling:
Sry but ima truck guy. I dont have much use for a sports car here cept to show off. Gotta keep my baby. She hasnt been built 3 months yet.

Sadly though i think there will be a day that i will get tired of it and sell it.:whine: Hopefully by that time, i can pick up a nice used c6 z06 in my price range.

Users who are viewing this thread