01 cobra vs 2000 camaro SS? who do you think would win

94 White T/A

Established Member
No I just cannot agree with that. As much as a stock LS1 Fbody is faster than a stock N/A Edge Cobra a stock Terminator is faster than a stock Fbody. Fbody guys like to try and make you think otherwise but no, and especially not out on the streets.

Trust me I talk enough crap about Terminators compared to the new 5.0's, but a stock Fbody isn't faster than those either.

You might find this interesting

2001 Trans Am WS6 vs 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 - YouTube

As for the OP, I highly doubt you will win. It will be a drivers race and I just don't see you hooking better than the camaro at all. After the launch you won't be able to catch up. If you somehow launch well, you just might have a chance

Jroc

Established Member
You might find this interesting

2001 Trans Am WS6 vs 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 - YouTube

As for the OP, I highly doubt you will win. It will be a drivers race and I just don't see you hooking better than the camaro at all. After the launch you won't be able to catch up. If you somehow launch well, you just might have a chance

I don't care. I driven and ridden in enough LS1 Fbodies to know that a new 5.0 is actually noticeably faster. Stock for stock my money is on a new 5.0 over a Terminator. That's a video of a stock auto GT dragging a lightly modded M6 Fbody from a dig even on the second run, and loosing by a small amount in a roll. He may have not even been manually shifting it so he would have to wait for the car to downshift.

You might find this interesting.
2012 MUSTANG GT 1/4 MILE 12.37@114 - YouTube

Edit: Here's one of the same car(tune only) trapping at 116 MPH.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6EVAPw4wlA

Last edited:

Stopsign32v

Established Member
It was a drivers race. and I don't know if the passenger was like 500lbs or what, but that seemed to make all the difference.

Well here is my car (lightly bolt on Mach 1) with a passenger in my car vs a bolt on M6 LS1 with no passenger.

[youtube_browser]shiM-CvNSqs[/youtube_browser]

I guess this means I should beat a stock 5.0 by 5-6 lengths! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Is this you? ^

I have been in aviation for over 20 years. I understand the affects of altitude. If we were to take an 01 Cobra and a LS1 to 4300ft, the LS1 would still be faster. The fact that the OP has gears simply means he will wind out faster but the further they go the lower geared car will simply run out of gear. I define fast as the maximum attainable speed and quick as the rate at which it gets there. I will say that if they are only going 1/4mi and the Cobra can get out of the hole, it's lower gearing will pull until it runs out of gear. If it reaches the line before running out of gear then theoretically, it should win. As we all know a car that is geared for maximum potential for the 1/8 running against a car geared for maximum potential in the 1/4 and ALL other variables being identical, each car should take the win in their respective set.

But I got what you are saying. The sea level times for the Cobalt are faster than the times for the aforementioned cars at altitude.

That's me. Ya the ss will still make about 24+whp more than the cobra up here like I said earlier. At sea level it's about 28-30whp, favoring the ls mills.

This means its still faster assuming its an m6.

Gear wise, any gear shorter than the stock 3.27 upto about a 4.56? (I havent done the math) or so will get an 01 to a higher top speed than the factory gear if the gear and rev limiter deactivation are the only mods.

Stock 5th is really tall and with the 3.27, the engine cant get back into the 5800-6500rpms sweet spot. It cant continue accelerating much passed 160 because its too low in the rpms (5200~?) and not maximizing the motors powerband.

With 4.10's or 4.30's, 5th kicks in about 3-500rpms higher and the car is making about 20-40 more horsepower so it reaches a higher speed. 4th I believe goes to about 140 in these cars but I could be wrong, I do know you have to get in 5th to do 160 and that stock it's too tall/comes in below the rev range's powerband to go much faster.

Ideally for top speed, you'd want to pick a gear that puts the car at 165mph around 6000rpms in 5th so that you could maybe hit 170.

I haven't done the math, but I'd guesstimate that the 270~whp of an 01 with its .35? (Not quite sure) drag coefficient should do 170 maximized.

I've been in stock 03 gt's here at 4300ft that burried 150 so it's likely that I'm not far off with 170 at sea level in an 01. I know a few fbody's have been clocked there and faster bone stock.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
If the new edge GT (5spd coupes) can hit high 13s bone stock. I don't see why a Cobra with a 60hp advantage can't hit low 13s. Although the LS1 will pull on both

Stopsign32v

Established Member
If the new edge GT (5spd coupes) can hit high 13s bone stock. I don't see why a Cobra with a 60hp advantage can't hit low 13s. Although the LS1 will pull on both

So you say you think a stock Cobra will go low 13's but will get beat by a stock LS1 that has also been proven to run low 13's. :dw:

To answer your question: Gears and tires

94 White T/A

Established Member
I don't care. I driven and ridden in enough LS1 Fbodies to know that a new 5.0 is actually noticeably faster. Stock for stock my money is on a new 5.0 over a Terminator. That's a video of a stock auto GT dragging a lightly modded M6 Fbody from a dig even on the second run, and loosing by a small amount in a roll. He may have not even been manually shifting it so he would have to wait for the car to downshift.

You might find this interesting.
2012 MUSTANG GT 1/4 MILE 12.37@114 - YouTube

Edit: Here's one of the same car(tune only) trapping at 116 MPH.
2012 mustang gt 1/4 mile with bama tune and without - YouTube

For the record, I don't doubt the new 5.0's are faster, especially at the track, but on the streets everything is different and that was kind of my point.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
One thing altitude does help with is that air resistance dies a bit, sparser air is slightly easier to cut through.

That said a 1000whp, say 25psi, uncorrected (if its corrected then it will be slower obviously) car at 4000 ft should have the mathematical potential to reach a slightly higher top speed than it would making 1000whp, say 22psi, at sea level because the air is thinner. If you add boost/power to reach sea level numbers while at altitude, your top speed will raise slightly vs sea level because the air is thinner/cuts easier.

Edit* assuming optimal tune state, proper cooling system etc. a blower car might run worse top speed at altitude as the blower lobes get too hot and heat up the air charge entering the motor which will rob power

Last edited:

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
So you say you think a stock Cobra will go low 13's but will get beat by a stock LS1 that has also been proven to run low 13's. :dw:

To answer your question: Gears and tires

LS1s have been in the 12s stock and have a higher trap speed.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I find it funny how MOST Cobra owners will say that the SS/Z28 IS the faster car but there are a lot of doubters…

Now funniest thing I read, LS1's giving a Terminator a run? Sure, if the Cobra is spinning all first and second. Don't remember the LS1's trapping 110 or higher…...

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
M6 ls1's run faster than stock 01 cobras drivers being equal, but a well driven bolt on, geared 01 should walk away from a stock a4. That's what this thread was starter on and I don't see where there's wiggle room in that assertion.

What's the fastest a stock a4 ls1 has gone, 13.4? 13.3? Anybody know?

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
M6 ls1 run faster than stock 01 cobras drivers being equal, but a well driven bolt on, geared 01 should walk away from a stock a4. That's what this thread was starter on and I don't see where there's wiggle room in that assertion.

What's the fastest a stock a4 ls1 has gone, 13.4? 13.3? Anybody know?
High 12's, and it was done by a Z28…
M6 SS or A4 will BEAT especially from higher rolls, a stock 99/01 Cobra, both being equal drivers.
A bolt on geared Cobra has the advantage in the 1/4 mile but will fall behind the faster they go.

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
High 12's, and it was done by a Z28…
M6 SS or A4 will BEAT especially from higher rolls, a stock 99/01 Cobra, both being equal drivers.
A bolt on geared Cobra has the advantage in the 1/4 mile but will fall behind the faster they go.

12's? Wow I've never heard of an a4 doing that stock, factory freak? Best I've seen is a 13.4

I know m6's are faster than stock 01's. that's a given. The a4's make about 20whp less than m6's though so they are equal with 01 cobras give or take and they are geared taller/shift slushier. The auto shifts the car right around 6k which is about 150-200rpms past the sweet spot from what I've seen.

I'm not saying either car is slow but I don't see a well driven bolt on geared 01 falling to an a4 in any type of race. I guess it's just my honest opinion but the a4's seem a little slower/ don't handle as well as their m6 counterparts.

That all said, they're all great bang/buck cars, so rock on to all the owners. It really feels like glory days when you can buy mid 13 to high 12 second cars for under $10k.

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Isn't the fastest m6 a 12.89 in a stripper ss? That's crazy that an a4 has run 12's, how sure are you about that? I'm not calling bs but honestly I've never seen a4's dip below 13.4's, I figured 13.4's were close to hero runs for an auto.

Up here, a4 fbody's usually lose against Mach's and bolt on 01's.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Thread above sums it up. Reality here is the cobra will likely have traction issues with the gears and shit tires resulting in the 14 second a4 LS1 winning.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread