01 cobra vs 2000 camaro SS? who do you think would win

blkvenm97

Established Member
Anyways all told, the op has an easy win if he can drive. 1-2 cars if he launches well and powershifts.

I agree with you. I had a 97 cobra with a k&n drop in, offroad h, flows and 4.10s (less mods than the op is going to have since he's getting a tune) and i ran even with an 02 firehawk trans am twice. it was auto as well. I do believe the 01 cobras are slightly faster than 97s? I also believe that firehawks are faster than regular z28s? correct me if i'm wrong....

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
This cobra driver beat this guy by about half a second, is that 1 car length?

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/AsgtIzBcGao

Looks like 5+ to me... Check the time, and this is around 95~mph just past the "1/8"th at our makeshift rural track haha.

(I was running poor with a broken trans, read description/comments for full story, also spun all of second because I hadn't heated up my tires before the run, cold nt05r's spin a good bit with powershifts in fall weather haha)

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
You're wrong.

Troll harder.

du9epe8u.jpg

No one buys your gear.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
sorry man...I've been reading this whole thread and I had to call bs on this post. 03-04 cobra drivers race with 98-02 ss? you're CRAZY son....since everyone else here is basing times off of "hero" runs I will as well. the best hero runs i've seen for 03 cobras is something like 12.3ish....best I've seen from an m6 02 ss putting down 322 rwhp bone stock was a 12.8...both done by evan j smith. that'sw a half a second and it was several mpg different on the trap speed. that is NOT a driver's race by any stretch. .

12.43 IIRC and no they are not a drivers race.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Jdm got a 12.3 a few days after Evan ran 12.4 from what I've heard/read. I've never seen the run or slip though.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Thankfully I have facts and data to back my assertions. Are you claiming a fire hawk is faster?

Facts and data like 1 car lengths being half a second? Lolololol.

Same day same track same driver, a fire hawk or formula should ran faster than an 00ss. 01/2 ss's make 7-12whp than 00's so that might be dead even but I'd be surprised if a late firehawk or formula is actually slower than any 01/2 other than the ws6.

If you show me a 96 formula getting beat big woop.

And mainly I was referring to 01's being faster than 97's.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Where do you get your information?

The 96 and 97 models you mentioned are lt1 cars (with a rare few 97s packing lt4s). Those cars had several modifications over the stock model.

The 99+ firehawk (only 2 protypes in 98 were built) is a ram air/cat back car with some suspension upgrades. Optionally SLP cars could get lids from the factory (SS/WS6/Firehawk). To date the best time ever has been posted from a Z28 and if memory serves the formula is the fastest of the firebirds. The WS6/SS/Firehawk all increase weight slightly and the catback/ram air gained next to nothing (go Dyno hunting and it becomes obvious).

Also the 01+ cars are claimed to make more power but in reality they put down nearly identical numbers to the 98-00 cars. While the ls6 intake helped the 01+ has a truck cam that's not as aggressive as the previous cam but produces more down low torque. As stated previously a 99 z28 holds the best known time not an 01 or 02.

As for your quip about car lengths I'm not even part of that conversation.

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Slp firehawks made 350hp right? I'm sure people have gotten those in the 12's right?

I might be mixing it up with the 3rd gen slp that was crazy quick for the times, I'm pretty sure I'm thinking of the 92-94 firehawk from slp.

Last edited:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Slp firehawks made 350hp right? I'm sure people have gotten those in the 12's right?

I might be mixing it up with the 3rd gen slp that was crazy quick for the times, I'm pretty sure I'm thinking of the 92-94 firehawk from slp.

12.9 I believe for a Firehawk (01 if memory serves, popular mechanics maybe?)

The rating numbers are garbage so I ignore them completely.

My "310 HP" LS1 made 324rwhp/341rwtrq with FRA (not honestly sure if that made any difference at all but I list it anyways)

luke1333

Banned
Established Member

The 96 and 97 models you mentioned are lt1 cars (with a rare few 97s packing lt4s). Those cars had several modifications over the stock model.

The 99+ firehawk (only 2 protypes in 98 were built) is a ram air/cat back car with some suspension upgrades. Optionally SLP cars could get lids from the factory (SS/WS6/Firehawk). To date the best time ever has been posted from a Z28 and if memory serves the formula is the fastest of the firebirds. The WS6/SS/Firehawk all increase weight slightly and the catback/ram air gained next to nothing (go Dyno hunting and it becomes obvious).

Also the 01+ cars are claimed to make more power but in reality they put down nearly identical numbers to the 98-00 cars. While the ls6 intake helped the 01+ has a truck cam that's not as aggressive as the previous cam but produces more down low torque. As stated previously a 99 z28 holds the best known time not an 01 or 02.

This is spot on. I had a 96 ss/slp with 300 hp from factory with bolt ons and it was auto and it was like the exact same as my friends 00 ss/slp until we got up in gears since his was stick. His camaro took my 2v no problem but not by a ton but decent

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

94 White T/A

Established Member

I hate to break it to you, but ws6 cars were converted by ASC and have no SLP parts. Firehawks and SS's are the SLP cars

Jroc

Established Member
I hate to break it to you, but ws6 cars were converted by ASC and have no SLP parts. Firehawks and SS's are the SLP cars

Pretty sure only 1LE SS cars were SLP cars at least as far as Catfish go.

BTW I R drunk and this thread has gotten really stupid.

Kiohtee

Established Member
This thread is a big cluster ****, you can't blame him or anyone else for being lost at this point.

But this is what it all boils down to, no trolling: If the Cobra is in fact racing a truly bone stock SS, it's probably a solid 13.3-13.6 car, especially taking the driver factor out of it. I don't know of many 100% stock LS1's though. Most have at least the free mods or some exhaust work, which provide noticeable gains. The SS in question may be a 12.9-13.3 car with free mods and/or other work. OP doesn't even know the exact year of the damn thing, much less his setup. It's probably in everyone's best interest to assume it's at least slightly modified, if not by the current owner then by the previous owner.

Now onto the Cobra... With 4.10's he should very well get a jump off the line and from any roll easy, but probably won't with those banging Sumitomo's. The fact that he even has to ask what it'll do against a stock LS1 tells me he doesn't have much if any experience, so we can throw out these sub-13.5 times that other, more experienced drivers are running stock. And his is a vert no less.

OP is definitely going to have his hands full if we're talking realistically. Now assuming both parties are John Force-like and launch/handle their cars to the max, the Cobra on the streets should pull a stock A4 SS by a car or two.

What really needs to be faced at this point is the CAI and cat-back aren't really shit. No CAI provides signifcant gains on these 4V's and it's a Flowmaster cat-back, popular for it's sound not it's power. All the OP really has going for him right now is his 4.10 gears since the O/R X and tuner aren't even installed, and even then the tuner really isn't worth shit either.

Users who are viewing this thread