03 Cobra replaced with 08 C6 Z06

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Looks badass, congrats! I'm not a corvette guy I see them all over the place in my area, but not as nice as yours.

Pete's 03

Where's my eating helmet?
Established Member
What did you do to get those darkened tail lights and side markers? Are they inserts or did ou get them tinted?

The tail lights are tinted lexan covers over aftermarket LED tail lights similar to the GTR, and the side markers I did myself with the vht nightshades stuff and a lot of sanding to get them to my liking. No way I was gonna pay over 200.00 to buy some...

AWDLS2

Established Member
I guess that's what a high dollar DSLR and lens will do as the only scuff visible in person is right below the hood line on the top of the bumper from when I took it off to take a headlight out. Anyone will say it looks perfect in person... It is due for a buff, but there really are no visible swirls or defects. No broom here

Thanks, its the back yard...

You hear about motor issues as the only people that post about them are the few that have had issues. One of them was only on 06 and early 07's, and overall its probably .02% that have had problems...

LOL, I'm pretty sure you're in the minority there... Drive one for a few weeks and get back to me.
No year is less likely to have issues than any other. It's a much bigger problem than .02%. On the forums I doubt we have had more than 5-10 heads come back without wear and there's been over 200 owners do heads on the forum.

But it's a simple fix just do SS valves, bronze valve guides, and dual springs. 1000-1800$ fix depending whether you port the heads or not. If your a guy who likes to mod a car it shouldn't be a reason IMO to not buy the car

Last edited:

Mattio

Established Member
I looking at doing the same... love the Z but a supercharged ls3 vette might be the way I go. Not sold on the ls7.
loved your cobra by the way... my sig should prove that lol.

Pete's 03

Established Member
X2....I prefer your cobra . The terminator is timeless when compared to the dime a dozen vette. Yes the vette is faster but it is still just..meh

Base model Vette I agree, Z06 not so much, again, in my opinion. Around here I see way more 03 04 Cobras than I do 06 to 13 Z06's. That's also considering a car that was made for only 2 years vs a model made for 8 years. So to say dime a dozen..... Lumping a Z06 in with regular Vettes is no different than to lump in a Terminator in with GTs and V6s. Those are dime a dozen.... Don't get me wrong, I loved my Cobra, I had it almost 6 years and had tons of fun with it, but in the 10 months I've had this car I've probably had 50 people that I've noticed take pics or video of it when I'm out in it, where as the Cobra was maybe 20 the entire time I had it. Again, that's just the people I've seen doing it. That doeant include the comments and thumbs up I get EVERY time I drive it. That tells me that the general public finds this car "cooler or more exotic" that the Cobra. Like I said before, other than appearance alone, you really need to drive one for a few weeks to really understand how much better in every way it is. Even the gas mileage is at least 5 mpg better in the city and 10 mpg highway. When was the last time you went 425 miles on a tank of gas in a Terminator lol.

Pete's 03

Established Member
No year is less likely to have issues than any other. It's a much bigger problem than .02%. On the forums I doubt we have had more than 5-10 heads come back without wear and there's been over 200 owners do heads on the forum.

But it's a simple fix just do SS valves, bronze valve guides, and dual springs. 1000-1800$ fix depending whether you port the heads or not. If your a guy who likes to mod a car it shouldn't be a reason IMO to not buy the car

I knew the valve guide issue was over pretty much all years, but I thought I had read somewhere that the far more uncommon rocker arm needle bearing issue was only the early ones?? Could be wrong, and probably are, but 2% still seems high to me. They made 27,996 Z06s so that seems like a big number of them with bad motors. I'm changing out my heads / valves anyway so I don't even care about the issue, plus mine still runs perfectly...:rolling:

Pete's 03

Established Member
Good choice OP, but what do I know :)

Slap some PRC heads and a cam and keep smiling.......like I do.

Yup. Heads, cam, full exhaust, intake and FAST LSXR manifold are all next. Whatever gets me over 600 RWHP is what is going on it. I'm actually excited for the warranty to expire on October 2nd!!! :banana:

AWDLS2

Established Member
I knew the valve guide issue was over pretty much all years, but I thought I had read somewhere that the far more uncommon rocker arm needle bearing issue was only the early ones?? Could be wrong, and probably are, but 2% still seems high to me. They made 27,996 Z06s so that seems like a big number of them with bad motors. I'm changing out my heads / valves anyway so I don't even care about the issue, plus mine still runs perfectly...:rolling:
Oh ya the rocker arm issue was pretty small, your right about that. Thought u meant the valve problem.

Yup. Heads, cam, full exhaust, intake and FAST LSXR manifold are all next. Whatever gets me over 600 RWHP is what is going on it. I'm actually excited for the warranty to expire on October 2nd!!! :banana:
Nice killing 2 birds with 1 stone. Depending which cam you do it can be 600whp

Users who are viewing this thread