03 Cobra vs M6

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
caz713 said:
the M3 has done nothing but impress me from day one... whether that's on the street, track, drag strip, or auto-x course. it has a lot more "character and sole" than the gobs of run-of-the-mill modded domestics i see on the street every week. i'm not saying domestics are crap or anything like that, don't get me wrong, but the M3 is something special IMO.
I think we'll have to agree to disagree here :)

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
inteller said:
i would rather have supportive hard leather than soft nappa leather in a performance car. Only people with large asses complain about my Recaros and thats their problem not mine. Everyone else is like 'DAMN these seats hold you in'!

other than that M cars are what all other TRUE performance cars aspire to be.

I hate leather.

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
inteller said:
Don't be so bloody stupid :nono:

Most of the M cars are big, fat and over weight. And in the case of the M5 and M6 are not too hot in the looks department either. Not to mention the most stupid idiotic iDrive system. :xpl:

The M3 may well be a great drivers car, but to Jo public it looks just like a 318 Coupe. Which really isn't cool in the least. Plus one could certainly argue that the current M3 is underpowered.

For similar money you could have (Uk anyhow):

sagaris.jpg

szgy92.jpg

jaguar-xk-4.jpg

mitsubishi_lancer_evolution_16_07_06.jpg

amv8_vantage.jpg

aero8_im_feld2.jpg

porsche-cayman-1f.jpg

automoto%20997S.JPG

vette06.jpg

Caterham-Superlight-R500.jpg

ariel_atom_r34_big.jpg

radical_sr3.jpg

07ShelbyGT500_01_HR.jpg

lotus-exige-cup-2006-728918.jpg

Don't see none of these aspiring to be an M car. :dw:

caz713

Established Member
inteller said:
i would rather have supportive hard leather than soft nappa leather in a performance car. Only people with large asses complain about my Recaros and thats their problem not mine. Everyone else is like 'DAMN these seats hold you in'!

actually my seats hold me in great when i'm on the track

caz713

Established Member
300bhp/ton said:
The M3 may well be a great drivers car, but to Jo public it looks just like a 318 Coupe. Which really isn't cool in the least. Plus one could certainly argue that the current M3 is underpowered.

you seem to have a beef against BMW and M cars in particular... why is that? you have bashed the M3 in more than one thread.

as far as what the general public thinks, why should I care? i bought the car for my enjoyment, not for joe-blow on the street corner. besides, the e46 M3 looks nothing like a 318 to me, and most other enthusiasts know what it is and most respect it for what it is.

if you consider a car that can run low 13s in stock form underpowered than so be it, but not all drivers need to run 12s or better to have fun with a street car.

Last edited:

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
It you want refined performance (and can afford) go for the BMW. If you want to spend half as much and around 5K in mods and destroy nearly everything on the road go for the Cobra.

The original poster wasn't lying, the dipshit in the car next to him was in non-race mode. 400hp/320tq 4200lb. BMW vs. 450hp/450tq 3700lb. Cobra from a roll= ass whipping for the Cobra. Don't believe that Cobras made that much stock? I've got the dyno sheets to prove it.

BMWs are nice luxury and sports handling cars but for street racing they're not a very good value. A Whippled Cobra will wipe the pavement with 99% of vehicles out there and will put 5 cars on a C6Z. Whippled Cobra= Best bang for the buck EVER! :burn:

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
caz713 said:
you seem to have a beef against BMW and M cars in particular... why is that? you have bashed the M3 in more than one thread.
I don't particulary care for their styling or design. And I personally feel they are totally over hyped. Espcially here in the UK.

caz713 said:
as far as what the general public thinks, why should I care?
Well I guess it's different state side. How many 3 Seires beemers do you see compared to other cars?

Over here the roads are infested (yes I use the word wisely) with 3 Series BMW's.

Even M3's. I should think on average I see 10-12 new M3's each week.

caz713 said:
i bought the car for my enjoyment, not for joe-blow on the street corner.
I would never disagree with such a statement and I am with you 100% on this one.

caz713 said:
besides, the e46 M3 looks nothing like a 318 to me,
Yes but you know what too look for, but to most people. Even some mildly interested in cars it's often very hard to tell. The bonnet bulge, flared arches and quad exhuast pipes are all nice touches.

misc141_280x170.jpg

bmw-m3.jpg

A quick clance at a 100 yards and it's not easy to tell.

caz713 said:
and most other enthusiasts know what it is and most respect it for what it is.
Maybe, although probably not let out of a side turning. :lol1: Don't worry its a long standing UK joke.

caz713 said:
if you consider a car that can run low 13s in stock form underpowered than so be it, but not all drivers need to run 12s or better to have fun with a street car.
Certainly don't. But for the same money you can buy more speed, better look and more exclusive.

But each to their own.

Last edited:

caz713

Established Member
300bhp/ton said:
But each to their own.

agreed :beer:

i guess the M3 does offer a little more exclusivity in my town compared to other places. I see lots of 3-series cars, but i will often go a week or two without seeing another e46 m3. as for being in Europe, there may very well be a lot more BMWs running around on the streets there. i spent 3 months in germany a few years ago, but i neglected to keep a tally ;-)

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
93 347 Cobra said:
450hp/450tq 3700lb. Cobra from a roll= ass whipping for the Cobra. Don't believe that Cobras made that much stock? I've got the dyno sheets to prove it.
I seriously hope that's a typo. :D

If not I am going to have to call you out on this one. Also to make sure it's actually a usable as proof, please ensure its from a load bearing dyno such as a Mustang Dyno and not an inertia dyno like a Dynojet. Also they numbers will need to be SAE corrected as STD means jack S%^t. And it would be better if it used some form of graph smoothing to avoid any spikes giving false PEAKS. :)

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
caz713 said:
agreed :beer:

i guess the M3 does offer a little more exclusivity in my town compared to other places. I see lots of 3-series cars, but i will often go a week or two without seeing another e46 m3. as for being in Europe, there may very well be a lot more BMWs running around on the streets there. i spent 3 months in germany a few years ago, but i neglected to keep a tally ;-)
Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing on your car at all. I have a extreme amounts of respect for performance BMW's. I just however have no love or passion for them.

I do rather like the Z Coupe (Z3 based). It had the same engine in as you M3 (UK anyhow, 333bhp), but I prefered the styling to the M3. And there have been BMW's of the past I have liked, such as the original 635CSI, or the mid 80's 520 and 750.

caz713

Established Member
300bhp/ton said:
I do rather like the Z Coupe (Z3 based). It had the same engine in as you M3 (UK anyhow, 333bhp), but I prefered the styling to the M3.

i love the Z3 as well. my dad had an imola red s52 (240 hp) M roadster that i inherited when he passed away. it was a beautiful and incredibly fun car that i daily drove for about 9 months before i sold it - it is the car that really got me into BMWs. i still miss that car (as does my girlfriend) and occasionally regret selling it :(

TacticalKaos

Established Member
300bhp/ton said:
I seriously hope that's a typo. :D

If not I am going to have to call you out on this one. Also to make sure it's actually a usable as proof, please ensure its from a load bearing dyno such as a Mustang Dyno and not an inertia dyno like a Dynojet. Also they numbers will need to be SAE corrected as STD means jack S%^t. And it would be better if it used some form of graph smoothing to avoid any spikes giving false PEAKS. :)

I agree, the difference between a Mustang dyno and a Dynojet is night and day. You can't even compare the two. I made 314awhp with a tune and exhaust on a Dynojet. Months later with a tune, exhaust, header, intake, 280 lph fuel pump, injectors and aftermarket top mount I made 332 on a Mustang and it was much, much more powerful. I was amazed and initially rather dissappointed as I thought I'd wasted my money.

MZM Performance's WRX made 374 awhp and ran an 11.2 while I've seen other guys running GT35s (similar to the SR55) with over 500 on a dyno sheet running similiar times. I'd love to make 400+ on their dyno.

SVTCOBRAKID

Established Member
Wow there must not be a lot of beamers in north carolina. I see atleast 15 20 m3's a day here. Btw go UNC, taking a visit there next week. Haha take it easy

Beetle6986

Established Member
TacticalKaos said:
I agree, the difference between a Mustang dyno and a Dynojet is night and day. You can't even compare the two. I made 314awhp with a tune and exhaust on a Dynojet. Months later with a tune, exhaust, header, intake, 280 lph fuel pump, injectors and aftermarket top mount I made 332 on a Mustang and it was much, much more powerful. I was amazed and initially rather dissappointed as I thought I'd wasted my money.

so you basically got 18 HP at the wheels from header and intake. How much more were you expecting? You're saying that 18 WHP was not nearly what it should show?

baloo

Established Member
Even if the M6 was in P400 mode, it wouldn't be possible to pull 4 car lengths. Here's why:

70-100mph should take about 4 sec in a 460hp Cobra.
In order to pull 4 car lenghts (60ft) in 4 seconds, the average difference in speed over the course of the race would have to be 15ft/sec = 10mph.

Since both cars start out at the same speed, you would need to finish about 20mph higher than the other car to achieve this average speed difference.

This means unless you do 70-100mph in the time it takes the M6 to do 70-80mph, you're not going to pull 60ft ahead. Basically you would barely be able pull 4 cars on a Prius in the race you described and a base Focus would be too fast already.

TacticalKaos

Established Member
Beetle6986 said:
so you basically got 18 HP at the wheels from header and intake. How much more were you expecting? You're saying that 18 WHP was not nearly what it should show?

No, add aftermarket intercooler, injectors and a pump which is a big deal with the STis fuel system. It should have been a much larger percentage.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
TacticalKaos said:
No, add aftermarket intercooler, injectors and a pump which is a big deal with the STis fuel system. It should have been a much larger percentage.

Why did you add injectors and a pump if you didnt upgrade the turbo?

I've tuned STIs to 340-350+ WHP and torque with stock injectors and pump.

TacticalKaos

Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
Why did you add injectors and a pump if you didnt upgrade the turbo?

I've tuned STIs to 340-350+ WHP and torque with stock injectors and pump.

Because the turbo was on it's way and I wanted to do what I could while I had it. The stockers were pushed to the max as it was anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread