04 cobra 3.27 gears?

termipowa

Established Member
So I have seen a few old threads on this wondering if it's something worth looking into. Im having problems with traction 1st and most of second are almost useless. Mods. Are cai,steggy 4, 2.93 upper 4lb lower,x pipe, borla stingers, sra swap, tubular k member a arms coilovers strange 10 ways, tubular upper and lower control arms. Tires are 315/30/17 r888.

Satyr

Established Member
You're not making too much power with that setup, so traction shouldn't be a huge problem. Of course, 1st gear is going to be useless in most all cases with a modded cobra, unless you're running slicks. But after kicking into second, you should gain traction, especially in the meat of the gear. How are your tires?

I know that there are tons of setups on this forum (and 3 of which I've had myself) that make more power than what you're putting down and didn't swap gears out.

Prototype007

Established Member
What gear do you currently use?

Your current wheel and tire combo doesn't offer much sidewall either.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Are they 315/35/17 or 315/30/18 I've never seen a 30/17 R888. I have a similar set up as you and as long as I'm smooth releasing the clutch they grab pretty well. This is with 315/35/17 and stiff MM springs. How old are the tires?

termipowa

Established Member
Tires are still good. I think they are the factory 3.55 it hooks up the top of 2nd after about 50 I have some upr solids on order they should be here thur. Gears just seem short to be 3.55s I've had 3.27s and 4.10s in my gt. The 4.10s with 150 shot with fullbolts on would go from a 40 hit. I'm kinda at a loss at why it spins so much

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
This is such the wrong section for this question. You do know there's a Terminator Section don't you?

termipowa

Established Member
Lol thanks I'm just messing with you. I really just want 1st to be more usable. I rarely take my car to the track. Do you think 3.27 would be a Better street friendly gear or should I just try a 28in tire first.

4a7191a

Established Member
I'd stay 355 gears op. I've got several buds whom have 600+ HP cobras still running stock gears. Driver mod man. Practice . I've taken a terminator off the line throughout 2nd gear til 3rd. In my Mach making much less power. After kev caught full steam of Whipple power though I got a flyby. Lol
Maybe stiffer front springs will aid your launch ?

termipowa

Established Member
I'm just curious as to why you think I need a driver mod. I can pedal the car that isn't the problem. Spinning isn't winning I'm looking for a viable solution to the spin I'm running eibach lowering springs in the rear heard that can contribute to wheelspin.

termipowa

Established Member
Also 4a I have tried every combo possible with setting the firmness on the strange 10ways in the front it seems to hook best on 6. The complete suspension from my other car is now on my cobra. The only difference is my gt the battery is in the rear I wouldn't think it would make up that much of a difference.

Prototype007

Established Member
Tires are still good. I think they are the factory 3.55 it hooks up the top of 2nd after about 50 I have some upr solids on order they should be here thur. Gears just seem short to be 3.55s I've had 3.27s and 4.10s in my gt. The 4.10s with 150 shot with fullbolts on would go from a 40 hit. I'm kinda at a loss at why it spins so much

Diff still in good working order? Kicking out to one tire? The solids will help.

Also have you paid attention to the pavement you've been racing on? Cold blacktop is a small sidewall stick cars worst enemy.

termipowa

Established Member
Yes sir diff works great swapped in the cobra diff with new 31 splines when I did the sra swap. It has been in the 60s. Well I checked ups the New control arms Will be here Tom so I'll report back if they improve anything. What tires are you guys running do they make a decent sidewall tore in a 17? I haven't seen anything over a 40 aspect.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
If you really wanna gear down get some 2.73 from a fox. Anyway as other guys said 3.55 should be fine for your setup. You could try a different tire to help your 1st traction issues

FICannon

Semper Fidelis
Established Member
Hahaha. Everybody just repeats the same post over and over... I personally could never use first gear in my Terminator, I tried all viable tires and nothing worked so good on OP for trying something different. And unless the cobra had slicks, I've yet to see a Terminator hook until second and I've been to many street races and seen many of my buddies' run.

Last edited:

gabe1530

Banned
the problem is your tire. the r888 has a stiff sidewall and is meant for open track / road racing. it is a good street tire but you need a drag radial with a lot more sidewall. even a nt05r will help you out if your trying to stay in the 315 size.

SlowSVT

Established Member
3.27's are going to put more of a load on the driveline in every gear. It already has double overdrive on top of that. 1st gear is there to overcome inertia and get the car rolling. There is only so much you can do for traction when the wheels are connected to a 500+ hp engine. I would stick with the 3.55's which is an excellent all around gear for this car.

2003cobra22

Corn Fed
Established Member
Your power setup is similar to my current one. I had 295/35/18 G-Force KDWs and those things brand new wouldn't hook in 1st or part way through 2nd, swapped over to 305/35/18 MT Street Radials and those thing STICK in 1st or 2nd

Users who are viewing this thread