04 cobra vs a heavily modded ws6

S8ER01Z

Established Member
S8ER01Z you feel that a LT1 has much on a 2v P.I GT? :??:

I wouldn't say much (especially considering the overall performance difference)...but seat of the pants and real world numbers the LT1 has more torque off the line and overall.

Of course the LS1 makes more torque overall than an LT1 does butdoesn't 'feel like it' so seat of the pants feel doesn't mean much.

FWIW i owned an LT1 (1995 Auto 3.23 Bone Stock) and it went 14.1 @ 97mph on a 2.1 60ft...so I know they are far from 2v PI killers (since you guys run about the same) :beer:

lilb_svt

Established Member
i said i was sitting at 4500 and what i meant was thats where i hit the gas from. guess you didnt know i eat 600 crotch rockets for lunch

for some reason my car doesnt light them up all that bad. but i am by no means even hinting that i can take liter bikes. thats still out of my league. i only mess with the 600's and i am looking for a 750 to run but havent found one yet. i am running a 315 tire in the rear and it helps a lot with the traction issues.

Careful if you do find a newer 750 there nothing like a 600.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
no shit sherlock. anyone with half a brain would take the GT over a Vette...it wouldnt be a hard choice. but if you give them more choices...im willing to bet they would choose other over a GT aswell.

+1000 I like the Z06, but I LOVE the Ford GT!!!

GT FTW!!

E

KILRSVT

Established Member
nice kill feels good to shut up a dumb ignorant crap talker. Those who under estimate the termis dont know much about cars!

Jroc

Established Member
all you guys arguing over low end Torque between the 2 motors are forgetting about one very important factor.....gearing. if i remember correctly, Mustangs have allways been known to have better gearing than f-bodies and is one of the reasons why your "Butt Dyno" feels what it does.P

What rear gear does a WS6 come with, a 3.42 I think? A New Edge GT has a 3.27, and a T-56 is better than any 5-speed ever put in a Mustang. I have always thought GM did a better job with its gear selection but IDK. A Fbody does have a very tall 6ths gear, but thats a good thing IMO. Just like with Fbodies 4.10's are a great mod for Mustangs.

so what ls motors dont have any torque below 3500rpms....its under 3500rpms for all of 1.2 secs. races arent won in the beginning, they are won at the end so who cares anyway.

Exactly. Thats what I've already said, but noones listening, they just think I'm trying to bust on a LS1. LS1's do not need to be lowend torque Monsters because if they were then they probably wouldn't be as strong in their topend, which they do have very good upper mid to topend power.

http://www.idavette.net/hib/ls6/images/LS6 charts/01LS6 vs 00LS1vs 90LT5.PDF

Show me one stock N/A mod motor that makes as much torque under 3500 as the LS1. Rwhp or fwhp I don't care. What you're feeling is the gearing. Torque mulitplication can fool alot of people.

I can't because they don't. I know that. But LS1's don't feel that much stronger than New Edge GT's below 3,500 IMO. Atleast not with stock gearing on both cars. But like previously said who cares because if your racing your not going to be below 3,500 rpm very much. And Mustang GT's gearing isn't great so lets not get it confussed that a GT's gearing is so much better, because I prefer a Fbodies gearing. Or maybe its just the T56 I prefer though.

Doesn't a stock Z28 and Formula come with 2.73's? I think a Foxbody has a similar rear gear and its initial hit and lowend power feels stronger than a LS1's, and I bet if you look at a dyno graph its not. To me a LS1 feels like it hits somekind of powerband at about 3,500 rpm's. I drove a new 06 GTO and I thought that its power delivery was more linear and increased its pull more constantly with rpm's, where I've always thought a LS1 feels like it surges into more power a 3,500 rpm.

Opinions are like assholes or whatever that old saying is, and thats mine. I'm not going to change until I drive a car that makes me think different. I'm sure if you add 4.10's or something it will give a LS1 a much stronger feel down low, but thats with all cars. What does a N/A 2v and a 4v graph look like compared to each other? Most people you talk to will tell you that a 2v feels stronger down low, but does it really make more power below 4,000 rpms? Up top a N/A 2v just can't breathe good enough to make power like a 4v.

BTW y'all need to quit acting like I'm out to just bash on LS1's because I'm not. I have a ton of respect for them, and have had several friends who had them.

Heres an example from the day before yesterday.
Hum, IDK a Fbody is a very good drag racing car, and they launch much better than a pre-05 Mustang on a stock suspension, and IMO a 03/04 Cobra is the hardest Mustang that I've every driven to launch good. (I don't go to the track, I'm just talking from driving the cars on the street) I've talked to people that DR their Terminators and they say with a stock suspension setup it takes some finesse to get a good launch. Also Fbodies are fast for the power they make. I think it probably has alot to do with the way a LSx goes about making its power. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying your going loss, and not to do this race, I'm just saying don't go half steppin to him. Fbodies with a few mods will run, especially with some spray, and especially more if he was cammed to go along with it.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521137

Again all I'm saying is they don't throw your head back into the seat at 2,500 rpms.

DRIVN Ind.

Clothing Hustler
Established Member
Again all I'm saying is they don't throw your head back into the seat at 2,500 rpms.

I mean, thats kind of a moot point. Who starts at 2500rpm's? Even with a six speed car, youre dropping it at 4k at minimum. With an auto if you dont have at least a 4000 stall youre a vagina. I used to drive around with a 5,000 unlocked stall daily, so dont give me no "you cant drive it around" story.

Hell, even at 2500 rpm's, 408 + cube cars feel torquey as a sumbitch. Unless you are referring to solely 346/3.42 geared stock LS1's.

Kingcater

Can't stop modding...
Established Member
Doesn't a stock Z28 and Formula come with 2.73's?

They do stock if an Automatic, but have the option for 3.23s. All manuals no matter the trim level come with 3.42s. All SS/WS6/Firehawk's come with 3.23s Auto. Just for future reference.

I think a Foxbody has a similar rear gear and its initial hit and lowend power feels stronger than a LS1's, and I bet if you look at a dyno graph its not. To me a LS1 feels like it hits somekind of powerband at about 3,500 rpm's.

I somewhat agree with this. I think the Fox's tranny gear ratio's may be a tad steeper first & and slightly more in second.

Here are the Fox's tranny ratio year by year

Year Model TQ 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th Rear Gear

86-89 Mustang 5.0 265 3.35 1.93 1.29 1.00 0.68 x 3.45
90-93 Mustang 5.0 300 3.35 1.99 1.33 1.00 0.68 x 3.45
94-02 Camaro 5.7 340 2.66 1.78 1.30 1.00 .74 .50 3.42
04-06 GTO 5.7/6.0 400 2.97 2.07 1.43 1.00 .84 .57 3.46

The highlighted numbers are why a Fox body feels like it has more torque.

I drove a new 06 GTO and I thought that its power delivery was more linear and increased its pull more constantly with rpm's, where I've always thought a LS1 feels like it surges into more power a 3,500 rpm.

The GTOs had a close ratio T-56 [ specs above ] which helps with that

Last edited:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
They do stock, but have the option for 3.23s if an Automatic. All manuals no matter the trim level come with 3.46s. All SS/WS6/Firehawk's come with 3.23s Auto. Just for future reference.

3.42s for the Manuals...and only on years 94+ in 1993 manuals could come with 2.73 gears.

Kingcater

Can't stop modding...
Established Member
LOL! That is pretty funny. What gear are you running? Are 4.10's the popular gear with the A4 crowd? Good gear info BTW.

You can run 4.10s, but 3.73s are usually the best gear for A4s unless you really don't care about gas mileage.

ou're better off getting a stall in the 3600-4400 range than gears. There are guys running 10's with stock 3.23s

Jroc

Established Member
Really. I might be having a brain fart, but I think Stang guys usually run taller gears in auto's than manuals. Actually I think I'm right. Some people say 4.10's for an auto GT and 3.73's for a manual. I think a 4.10 are still probably the better gear for a manual N/A Modular though. I remember the manual Foxbody guys use to say go with 3.73's.

Jroc

Established Member
Edit.

It double posted for some reason. I don't think I hit the post buttom twice.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
So uh, is this vid ever gunna come up or is the C6z06,fgt,03/04termi,s197,WS6,etc,etc,etc the new subject?
I kinda wanted to see the vid, but instead I find a 7 page pissing match about comparing pony cars to full on sports cars, and sports cars to exotics... Whats next a Peterbuilt with 8 turbos, propaine injection, 4:10s, and a Whipple vs a ZR1?

Users who are viewing this thread