'04 Dodge SRT-10 $45K

UVa SVT

Established Member
I know of several people when the new lightnings were staged for release that were looking into one, both seriously and for sh!ts and giggles. I honestly don't know anything who is looking at this vehicle seriously. except all us lightning owners, but we're just commenting on what we like/dislike

-Mike

svt_lightning12

Established Member
All i know is that dodge was talking about how it was gonna be priced at a reasonable amount...lol....reasonable amount my ass, i knew that this truck would be in vette territory as far as price is concerned. Mayor of truckville...yeaaaaaah riiiight..

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
When I worked for Dodge 2 years ago they said the truck would be about 50 to 55 grand. Does anyone know if they kept the IRS in the truck?

OkiedokieRidge

Established Member
Ahhhhhhhhhhh yes, the truck that peterbilt.;-)
hah hah hah haaaaa....um....anyway.

I'd say the 1/4 mile times quoted are going up so they can save the drivetrain and still keep competitive with the L. But, I'd be willing to bet Ford is downplaying the new L stats, just so they can sneak back past the stock SRT-10 when they go to production. But, to be honest, as far as the L goes, I like the looks of the 2nd Gen over the pics I've seen of the concept L.
But, good looks are so intangible. What one person likes, another dislikes. It'll still be a marvel of engineering, especially if they keep that super chiller thing they were talking about.

Prediction: Dodge SRT-10 will be on top very soon after its release. But, Ford will trump them when they release the Gen3 L. Oh, and the chebbie SS will still be a choked down version of a sport truck. (By the way, does anyone else think GM is just being lazy with their so called sport models, relying on the aftermarket to make their stuff fast in order to keep their corporate MPG/emissions average in check?:rollseyes: )

My my, I may have to hold a book signing for this post.:read:

Dave

Helix

The Beast
Established Member
Personally, I don't really think the SRT 10 will be on top at all. Well except for the owners of the truck. They will think "there on top". Until they meet a stock gen 2 L at a red light and get a run for there money. Then, they will realize there stuck at $800 a month for 5 more years for this....? It will be a very disappointing time for those consumers.

I predict with an experienced drivers those trucks will be lucky to get in the upper 12's. Stock L vs. Stock SRT pretty close. With a big hp difference.

Helix:beer:

LightningPhil

Established Member
My $0.02

Well... first off, I don't have a problem with Dodge... they make great minivans... and Vipers are cool... but really how cool is it to just drop a viper motor into a truck... it still says VIPER on the valve covers... how dumb is that? Shouldn't it say like SRT Ram or something? It's not a VIPER RAM.. Also... I've never cared for the Ram... I don't like it... never have. Just looks like crap to me.. The Lightning is very sexy... it's curves just flow throughout the truck and it just looks so very beautiful. The '05... definately blockier.. but it's got some cohonies... so that's ok... it'll take the SRT. Oh... The pic with the engine... only one intake? .... Thought the vipers had 2.... SO that sucks even more... or less is that? At any rate... Lightnings ROCK ... Dodge... makes good Vipers and Minivans... oh... put the Viper motor in a Soccer-mom-mobile.... that'll bring in the sales... look at Porsche's Cayanne(sp?) TT.

P.S. Oh yeah... 22's suck

Last edited:

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
Actually, the valve covers say "Viper Powered", but I suppose it wouldn't have broke Dodge to stamp new valve covers. I reckon they want to heavily market the fact that this Ram is Viper powered. Not sure if you guys remember seeing it or not, but this isn't the first Ram to get a Viper V10. When the Dodge Ram SS/T (with those racing stripes) debuted in showtruck form back in 1996 or 1997, it also boasted a Viper V10, but that never made production of course and the SS/T received the old 5.9L instead.

John M.

Banned
You guys are funny, You all bash a product that is out because deep inside you have fear. Fear of the unknown, I hope this truck does come close or do better than Current Lightning. Competition makes a better product, If Dodge give us competition Ford is gonna have to make the 06 even better. As for the truck lifting off the ground at 125 ? C'mon get serious, it has a Cover and rear spoiler which equates to more downforce than a Lightning. I know my truck doesnt lift at 140, I dont see why this would lift at 125. The 1/4 ET might only be 13.9, but I bet the MPH is close to 110. I also remember reading that 03 Cobras ran 13.2, We all know in stock form they easily run mid 12's. Folks, we all think our Flavor is best and have pride in our product but give the competition credit when its due. Looking at this picture

http://www.classic-cars-worldwide.com/ford-svt-lightning-pictures.html

Do you really think where that shifter ends is the transmission ? Also, I dig the riced out yellow interior.

The point of my post, keep it real. A ZO6 is a better product than Cobra.

Last edited:

Shanezam203

Established Member
Originally posted by Helix
Personally, I don't really think the SRT 10 will be on top at all. Well except for the owners of the truck. They will think "there on top". Until they meet a stock gen 2 L at a red light and get a run for there money. Then, they will realize there stuck at $800 a month for 5 more years for this....? It will be a very disappointing time for those consumers.
Helix:beer:
I have been saying that all along. I can't wait for the Ram Srt-10 to come out. I think even with a good driver it will run a mid 13. I hope some go 12's stock, I just don't see it happening.
I'm sure you can mod it and do things to it and make it fast, but for the money you pay for it, I don't think they are getting much more than an over priced truck with the name Viper on it. 500 horse is 500 horse, but dodge has a hard time getting power to the wheels. I would like to see a stock Ram Srt-10 vs a stock 03 gen II lightning. I'd give the edge to the guy in the Lightning not only because it's an automatic and all he has to do is get traction, and go... But because I think a stock Lightning will keep up with a stock Srt-10 because it is a little lighter and has better aerodynamics...

Originally posted by John M.
You guys are funny, You all bash a product that is out because deep inside you have fear. Fear of the unknown, I hope this truck does come close or do better than Current Lightning.
Close to the Gen III or the Gen II? It will be close vs a stock Gen II I think, but it won't even be a race against the Gen III's...
I dont see how you can say we are afraid of a truck that costs $10,000 more than ours and runs the same times. Explain how we are afraid of the SRT-10...
Thanks, Shane

John M.

Banned
Shane, by all means Im not a Dodge boy and not looking to start a pissing match. From what Dodge is sayin, its suppose to be better out of the box than the current 03/04 Lightning. We dont know what all is going to be on the Gen III, if 1/2 the stuff that is on the Concept Gen III had, you can expect the price to be $45 K too. We are also comparing a stock Dodge to our current modded or the Gen III Lightning, who knows what kinda mods will come out for a Dodge. Can you imagine what a small shot of juice would do on that thing ? What happens if you put a small Turbo or Blower on it ? Im a auto enthusist, I like and Race Fords but give Dodge credit for doing it NA.

My truck

http://home.comcast.net/~buzzlightyear2002/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

Skittles Racing <-- Brothers racecar

http://home.comcast.net/~sn952kill4/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

Last edited:

Shanezam203

Established Member
Yeah I'll give credit where credit is due. But I still don't think the srt10 is worth 45,000. The gen 3 Lightning I think will cost even more than that and my personal opinion, I'd rather the gen3 lightning. Others will say they'd rather the srt10 but thats normal debate... I'm just saying for the price they are paying, it should come well into the 12's (dont you agree). At very very best I think it will run a 12.9 and that's at very best. If it doesnt run that, I think there will be a lot of angry customers...

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
Wouldn't it be safe to guess that the Ram SRT will have performance expectations of the Viper with an extra 1600lbs of weight? I mean, afterall, its the same engine and transmission. With proper traction, it certainly shouldn't perform any worse outside of those perimeters I would think.
Regarding its price, you have a Dodge Ram boasting the same powertrain as a $80,000+ Viper. Why would Ford offer the Gen III Lightning for much less than that with the engine from the $120,000+ GT? My guess is the Lightning is in for a substantial retail price increase, as well as both SVT and PVO gear up to go head to head. Realistically, both are going to command high dealer premiums to play anyway in their maiden year, which is an often unfortuate bi-product of a limited edition, powerful vehicle such as these are. I can see the dealers now rubbing their hands together and salivating at the thought of all this marketing between the two companies.

Get ready to take out a second mortgage in coming years as this horsepower race continues. You gotta pay to play!!

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
Like i said in a previous post, I talked to a dodge field engineer who is now a district rep for Chrysler he was the one who told me about the aerodynamics issue with that truck, and after working for Dodge for 5 years and seeing the quality of Vipers and Prowlers i hope that the truck is even close to those. I don't think that this truck is being made my team viper so i doubt it will be worth the 45k or more that dealers may ask for it.

John M.

Banned
Originally posted by Shanezam203
I'm just saying for the price they are paying, it should come well into the 12's (dont you agree). At very very best I think it will run a 12.9 and that's at very best. If it doesnt run that, I think there will be a lot of angry customers...

With the right driver and proper traction it should be into well into the 12's. Who knows we havent seen anything besides what the rags report. Here is what I do know, its possible to have the power to run a 12 not have the skill or traction to do it. Some Cobras run 13's@110 and others run 12s@110, MPH indicates HP and ET indicates driver and/or traction. This truck is prolly going to have quite a bit more MPH in the 1/4 mile Vs a 03/04 Lightning.

SVTADVISOR- Ive raced a Hemi truck to over 120 MPH on the street, If a standard Dodge Pickup Body and Chasis didnt lift, I doubt the SRT is going to.

BTW- this truck was chipped and had N20 and I still killed him :lol1:

Traveler- This truck will be nothing like a Viper, the only thing that will be similar is the powertrain. The same goes for a Ford GT Vs Concept Lightning. The Viper is a very well built car, it is basically a car built around a racecar's frame. The Viper is a supercar and thats the reason its priced the way it is. The Ford GT is more than just a fast car, Its a mid engine car built car that will also be built on race car style chasis. 95 Lightning came with a 351 but it in no way can be compared to a 95 Cobra R.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread