13ft, 900lb Gator caught in S.C.

txyaloo

Established Member
Haha you dont think these gators hang out in crystal clear water do you?

I've seen gators in crystal clear water scuba diving in the Florida panhandle. They've been small, but they still scared the shit out of me. Only three things really scare me under water... snakes, gators, and (sometimes) barracudas.

70Maverick

Established Member
The story I read said they never did kill it with the gun so she cut through its spinal cord behind its head with a knife to kill it. Sounds like a sweet old broad. Shame to have to kill such a beautiful animal but if indeed they are overpopulated, it will end up helping them overall so they don't dessimate what little territory we have let them have. Come to think of it, we are overpopulated too. Maybe if we let them live they could help with that. :shrug:

Last edited:

70Maverick

Established Member
:beer:fried gator tail ftw!!

You would have 40 lbs of meat. That is what the butcher said was useable out of the 1,165 lb gator. Yes, there are different accounts of what it weighed. Seems like a good ratio.

BayouFX4

GEAUX TIGERS
Established Member
You would have 40 lbs of meat. That is what the butcher said was useable out of the 1,165 lb gator. Yes, there are different accounts of what it weighed. Seems like a good ratio.

That's crazy you get such a small amount from such a big gator. 40lbs would last quite a few tailgates though.

Niks97cobra

Ready to Go!
Established Member
What and amazing creature. Im all for sport fishing but I wouldnt have the heart to kill it. For all we know it could have been 100 years old. It didnt deserve to die.

It is an amazing creature, its kind of like killing a senior citizen. I understand we are over populated around here, and I ran into them all the time when I was kayaking, but the range should run from 4-8 feet. Not 4+.

There over populating the area and when that happens and man become the prey its game on. What is with you people animals are put here for our consumption.

Eight alligator attacks have happened in SC in the last 30 years. None have been fatal. Genius.

Southeastern Outdoors - Small Alligators Not A Problem

Can't get enough of that show :rockon:

+65000 :D

And on the other hand, it would kill you just soon as you stare at it the wrong way. That damn thing would flip your boat or charge at you in a heartbeat, do you have any idea how fast gators are when they get that short burst of energy?

On a side note, would love a pair of gator boots.

Yes, because alligators attack people so often. See above comment. :rollseyes

lol.

I want some fresh steaks..

8 times though? Didn't have a boom stick...amateurs...

I love alligator meat and even was a part of a group that killed one during last season. It was six foot and we used a boom stick. There was no reason to torture the animal, and it was not ancient. I hate seeing this old beast getting killed. The meat probably isn't even worth eating on a big one like that.

You don't just pull up beside a gator , especially one this old, and shoot it in the head. And I do not believe steve would have jumped on the back of a 13 ft lizard........

You have to get it to the bank, so why not use a boomstick? Why shoot it 8 times?

Because it's hard to eat when it's still alive.

This did make me :lol: but again, this is sad for the environment. Alligators are keystone species and taking away something of that size is going to severely effect the ecology of the region, especially knowing that other big gators are going to be killed in the region as well. I know it must be done, but the state should better give out alligator tags by region, not just overall the state with no rules.

good job, idiot.

that gator was awesome. too bad it had to be killed by some dumbass looking for a trophy.

Agreed.

I understand there's a season on them for a reason but shooting it 8x is just not right.

and dont say it should've more haha

Exactly, no reason to torture it.

Most of those bleeding hearts in the south probably came from up north.

Born and raised in the south. Fortunately for me, I didn't become ignorant of my surroundings or other life forms. I have no problem with hunting but to me, something of this size being killed is sad.

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
Holy crap...this thread went crazy!!!! i can see the points of all the people saying it was a shame to kill it. Yes, I bet that gator was freakin old as hell but that is the sport guys...HUNTING. There is no discrimination as to how old they are. Same thing it get a large buck. If it was a 16pt. buck would you not shoot it if you had the chance...I WOULD!!! Welcome to hunting! I have no problem with killing animals like that as long as it is all used! Use as much as possible.

Also as already stated this woman did not just shoot it from 50+ or whatever yards away. That is not legal hunting methods! There is one tour group that takes you out at night and you have a bow that you hit the gator with and then have to figh it and drag it to the boat. The gator must be within a very short distance of the boat before you are allowed to use a gun for safety reasons!

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Because it's hard to eat when it's still alive.

Hahahaha!!!! :lol::lol:
If you watched the story on it you would know that she had to get it fished in AND secured to the boat before they could kill it as per state law, its not like they went out with a boat full of guns and just started spraying bullets at it from 50ft away. I guarantee you would shit your pants if you had that thing tied up to a boat trying to kill your ass.:smmon:

Holy shit logic and facts brought in......

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Severing the spine is the only way to ensure the animal is dead.
Only a fool would bring a gator aboard without making sure. They're not mammals, the amount of damage they can sustain and keep going is ridiculous.

As for the meat. Gators especially big ones store fat in the tail, which is also what most people eat. Some like the ribs as well. 6footers seem to be the best balance between meat and tastiness.

I like Gators, but honestly when they get around 10 ft. They're alot of trouble, at that size they start sizing up humans, and they are patient, sneaky bastards.

And that's not getting into the whole "we're encroaching on their habitat" argument, which I 100% agree with.

The story I read said they never did kill it with the gun so she cut through its spinal cord behind its head with a knife to kill it. Sounds like a sweet old broad. Shame to have to kill such a beautiful animal but if indeed they are overpopulated, it will end up helping them overall so they don't dessimate what little territory we have let them have. Come to think of it, we are overpopulated too. Maybe if we let them live they could help with that. :shrug:

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
So I watched some Swamp People on demand, and I'm pretty sure one of those crazy bastards was trying to shoot a 12ft gator with a Ruger 10/22. Are their caliber restrictions or something? Because if I'm hunting something that weighs 800lbs you can damn sight bet I'm bringing more than a .22LR

usmcrebel

Established Member
So I watched some Swamp People on demand, and I'm pretty sure one of those crazy bastards was trying to shoot a 12ft gator with a Ruger 10/22. Are their caliber restrictions or something? Because if I'm hunting something that weighs 800lbs you can damn sight bet I'm bringing more than a .22LR

SC vs LA

my uncle who lives in the swamp and fishes all the time has had plenty of run in with gators and he carry's a .357/ AK..but im with you im not going to hunt them with a .22

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
It's amazing how some of you people can still type with all the tears streaming down your face and hitting your keyboard.

BayouFX4

GEAUX TIGERS
Established Member

I was thinking a .22 was kinda small as well, but it seems to get the job done for them. I guess they have the experience to place the shot perfectly. I'm sure a larger caliber would damage the hide.

Users who are viewing this thread