18's, 19's or 20's? (I know another wheels thread)

5.0_SD

Established Member
Need some opinions...I have a 2014 track pack w/ brembo's (so 19" wheels). This is my daily driver and it will see some road course action from time to time (no drag strips for me) and I do throw it around a bit going through twistys, roundabouts, etc.. I'm thinking Forgestar F14, Enkei PF-01, or the Jongbloed 700 series from Cortex.
What would you guys recommend for what my car will be used for?
Please give tire size recommendations as well.
Car will most likely be on the Cortex coil overs but I haven't decided yet.
I want the widest square set up possible (I'm thinking between 295 and 315...and I know I would need the special offset stuff like Cortex has if I go 315 front)
So if you were in my shoes and your budget was under 8K, what would you get?

Last edited:

lovebread

Established Member
I don't see a huge benefit in going to a rim larger than 18". You should be looking for a square setup at 275/40s for best bang/buck.

Joey8

Established Member
my Forgestar CF5Vs should been done within 2 weeks. I went 19x9 for the front and 19x11 for the rear. Spent $1500 on the wheels. I went with a Nitto Invos 275/35/19 tire for the front and a 325/30/19 for the rear. Altogether said and done I spent ~$2800 for a killer setup in my opinion. But if I had allocated 8k to spend on mods i'd be getting a TT Kit or VMP TVS but thats just me lol.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
20's all the way!
No. Just no. :nonono:

He said the car will see road track duty. You don't want to be pushing the car hard into corners on a heavy 20" wheel with a 30-35 series tires. That's stupid.

OP, stick to 18s, 19s max for what you want. Try for at least a 10" wheel all around.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Contact Vorshlag Motorsports in Plano, TX and Terry can tell you everything you will want and need to know about running a big setup.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
From the looks aspect 20'' is the best because of the size of the car in general.

19 would be good for looks and performance

18 is good for road course racing but looks too small imo

I'm going with 20's for street purposes and light weight 19's for track.

86Fbody

Established Member
If you lower the car 18's look fine, plus less rotational mass means your car will be faster without adding any power, plus a smaller lighter wheel will increase steering responsiveness and give you a lot cheaper and wider option for tires. There are no real benefit's to the other wheel sizes.

Baysixx

Established Member
IMO 18's look too small on our body style. I like the looks of 19's but the lack of drag radials kills me. If I went for new rims I would get 19x9 for the front and 18x10's. But I prefer drag racing.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
if you lower the car 18's look fine, plus less rotational mass means your car will be faster without adding any power, plus a smaller lighter wheel will increase steering responsiveness and give you a lot cheaper and wider option for tires. There are no real benefit's to the other wheel sizes.
+1

lovebread

Established Member
aTLesN3.jpg

18" AMRs, 255 9" and 275 10" rear. 40ish profile, will be moving to a 275 and 305 setup soon.

Great looking wheel that can hold some chunky rubber.

Swine

Established Member
18x10" forgestars with a reasonable weight 275/40 saving 10lbs per corner, 40 lbs of the best kind of rotational weight you can save. Your ride quality improves with less unsprung weight as well.

That fact alone makes going to a bigger wheel a hard pill to swallow, the mustang is heavy, it needs to lose some weight.

86Fbody

Established Member
With all due respect, if 18's look out of place because they look too small on the car then how can 20's look right with the small 4 pot brakes and 13' rotors?

Quesplosive

Atomic Snake #3
Established Member
I was/am in the same boat as you. I will not road course the car so I don't need the 18s for that. I needed a dr and there were none that fit the brembo rims. So I went ahead and ordered some 20s. Now I have my street tires that will hook and will look killer while doing so. I have big's and little's when Im trying to make et passes so the 20s served my purpose perfectly. In your case if you are not trying to have a set of rims just for your racing purposes then 18s are your best bet to be a great all around size with many tire options.

GT915

Established Member
Jason at Vorshlag Motorsports said that the best performance comes from the smallest wheel that will fit over the brakes. I believe their car runs 315/18 at all four corners. Looks awesome too imo.

Users who are viewing this thread