19 Bullit Caliper installation on my 07 GT500

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Additional feedback:

I had some concern going with such a larger caliper that I might need a new/larger master cylinder due to a soft peddle

No such issue. Peddle is fine. One observation is the steering seems to be heavier. Hard to explain but it may be due to the additional weight of the rotor and caliper. My previous set up was a australian 5000 2 piece rotor which had a alum hat and was smaller over all.

Im sure its the added weight, much like adding bigger rims and tires. So does the brake pedal feel the same as before? Or stiffer or softer?

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
Further updates, I love the new set up. The brake dust seems to be nowhere near as bad as the OEM pads it came with the four piston Brembos
When my front tires wear out, I will probably get a set of Michelin sport cup twos for additional grip
I have to be extremely aware when I do a panic stop that nobody is close to my tail or they will rear end me

Last edited:

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
Just inspected the pins that hold the pads in place and they are fine.

Because the other pins that were sent with the kit were bent (part of that problem was I forgot to pound them in all the way which is how they got messed up, installer error)

I will take both wheels off next week and do a better visual inspection

Race Red Boss

Established Member
When I use to drive the old GEN I SHO's, I did all the work on them from tune up to engine overhaul. Had a dedicated track SHO and used those exact calipers as an upgrade.

Most fun I ever had running NASA at HDPE 3

View attachment 1645345

Loved my 1st gen SHO! Man they were a fun car to drive....and such a great sleeper car. Did the Timing Belt, Waterpump/CPS a couple times on it (no failures...just preventative maint.) as well as the valve shims. That Yamaha 3.0 V6 was quite the motor. Never tracked the car though. Sounds like you really enjoyed yours as well.

As for the bigger Brembo's....I took a buddies 19 GT PP1 car out and those brakes were sooooooo grabby compared to my Shelby's. Great upgrade for sure.

Last edited:

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
Loved my 1st gen SHO! Man they were a fun car to drive....and such a great sleeper car. Did the Timing Belt, Waterpump/CPS a couple times on it (no failures...just preventative maint.) as well as the valve shims. That Yamaha 3.0 V6 was quite the motor. Never tracked the car though. Sounds like you really enjoyed yours as well.

As for the bigger Brembo's....I took a buddies 19 GT PP1 car out and those brakes were sooooooo grabby compared to my Shelby's. Great upgrade for sure.

The GEN 1's were fantastic cars and the engine drop dead gorgous. I like you, started working on the car little by little. Took the intake off ... than the intake and valve covers .... than did the timing covers than 60k tunes with one of the largest shim collection in the country. I did tranny rebuilds .... motor swaps from a 3.0 to a 3.2 and converting it for a manual car.
I did quaife installations so I had cars from all over the country coming to my house and my neighbors didnt like me !!

It got so big at one time I had 5 part cars in storage

They were great cars for sure and still are

BlownPony306

Established Member
I have been wanting to do this upgrade as well to my 08. Looks pretty straight forward. I have never been overly impressed with my 4 piston Brembos. Did you have to make any adjustment to the proportioning?

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
those brakes look fantastic. if i was to do it again i would get those (already red) instead of the GT500 version and having them powdercoated. if you ever take your gt500 on a big track, you will realize the true awesomeness of those brakes. be sure to change out to high temp brake fluid though. i used ATE.

The GEN 1's were fantastic cars and the engine drop dead gorgous. I like you, started working on the car little by little. Took the intake off ... than the intake and valve covers .... than did the timing covers than 60k tunes with one of the largest shim collection in the country. I did tranny rebuilds .... motor swaps from a 3.0 to a 3.2 and converting it for a manual car.
I did quaife installations so I had cars from all over the country coming to my house and my neighbors didnt like me !!

It got so big at one time I had 5 part cars in storage

They were great cars for sure and still are

sounds like my buddy who used to wrench on SHOs and do cam welds for the gen 3 lol. customers cars, spare parts, etc.. ended up with a 4 post lift in his driveway. spare parts everywhere. must be a SHO guy thing lol
one of his Karen neighbors called the city on him. inspector told him just to build a fence blocking the view of the lift from the street.

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
I have been wanting to do this upgrade as well to my 08. Looks pretty straight forward. I have never been overly impressed with my 4 piston Brembos. Did you have to make any adjustment to the proportioning?

You mean master brake cylinder? No it brakes straight and massively. Didnt have to adjust anything.

There was some concern of a soft brake peddle but there isnt.

The two biggest issues were the brake lines and pushing the caliper out about 0.050 thousands. The washer I gave a part number too worked great.

A couple of caveats. I retired from the Ford dealership I got the parts from. The rotors were readily available. The brake line we got one real quick, the other I had to call a dealership up north and buy it. Also the hardware kit, you want the 19 Bullitt hardware kit and they are hard to find. Your ford store can look up and print all the stores that have the part your looking for in stock and phone number. Thats how I got the other brake line and the caliper hardware kit. The hardware kit I got from LMR wasnt a bullitt kit. My guess was a Performance pack 6 piston brake hardware kit.

This list of parts at other stores you might not be able to get it. That said the parts guy will take his time and call the stores and eventually find what your looking for

I also downloaded the PDF file from either LMR or FRPP or CJ Pony directions ...... prob FRPP ... this will give you all the torque specs too bolt everything back up and I used blu loctite

hope this helps

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
those brakes look fantastic. if i was to do it again i would get those (already red) instead of the GT500 version and having them powdercoated. if you ever take your gt500 on a big track, you will realize the true awesomeness of those brakes. be sure to change out to high temp brake fluid though. i used ATE.

sounds like my buddy who used to wrench on SHOs and do cam welds for the gen 3 lol. customers cars, spare parts, etc.. ended up with a 4 post lift in his driveway. spare parts everywhere. must be a SHO guy thing lol
one of his Karen neighbors called the city on him. inspector told him just to build a fence blocking the view of the lift from the street.

That would have been Kirk or possibly Doug Lewis.

I couldnt and wouldnt do it now, too old. But I was pretty well known in the SHO community as the go to guy to get your SHO upgraded or fixed

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
That would have been Kirk or possibly Doug Lewis.

I couldnt and wouldnt do it now, too old. But I was pretty well known in the SHO community as the go to guy to get your SHO upgraded or fixed

my buddys name is John. he was more involved with the 3rd gen scene and doing the cam welds for the west coast. he was going to build his gen 1 up but lost interested when he bought a vette lol. he actually parted out his gen 1 and sold the built motor to doug lewis.

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member

Thanks Steve. I had the 13-14 GT500 calipers on order and was later told they were on nat back order. One wouldnt have come in until mid June ( I wanted to start this the beginning of June ) and the other caliper wasnt available until ealry July. So I cancelled that order and started loooking at the Bullitt calipers

regarding the looks, your right cant beat a red caliper on a red car !!!

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
my buddys name is John. he was more involved with the 3rd gen scene and doing the cam welds for the west coast. he was going to build his gen 1 up but lost interested when he bought a vette lol. he actually parted out his gen 1 and sold the built motor to doug lewis.

Another reason I learned on how to work on SHO's is Doug did all my work. And I was the very first recipent to have a super charger on his v6 yamaha motor. Since I was the first, there was some R & D growing pains and things kept braking. He would fix it and reinforce it so it was getting old and expensive.

henceforth learned to rebuild the whole dam motor myself and tranny repair( manual only )

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Thanks Steve. I had the 13-14 GT500 calipers on order and was later told they were on nat back order. One wouldnt have come in until mid June ( I wanted to start this the beginning of June ) and the other caliper wasnt available until ealry July. So I cancelled that order and started loooking at the Bullitt calipers

regarding the looks, your right cant beat a red caliper on a red car !!!

on any color car imo. i really wanted red. i sent my 13/14 calipers to Brian to have him powder coat red and hydro dip. they came out perfect but the hydro dip actually darkened the overall brightness. oops. i considered selling and just going all red, like yours, but i have way too much $$ invested in my set up lol.

if it was me, i would buy the Bullit rear calipers and call it a day. they'll match perfectly to your front calipers. no need more even more shelby logos on the car lol.

my buddy has custom wildwoods on his 68 camaro he's building. two different yellows. drove him nuts. he finally had them redone to match each other. lol

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
on any color car imo. i really wanted red. i sent my 13/14 calipers to Brian to have him powder coat red and hydro dip. they came out perfect but the hydro dip actually darkened the overall brightness. oops. i considered selling and just going all red, like yours, but i have way too much $$ invested in my set up lol.

if it was me, i would buy the Bullit rear calipers and call it a day. they'll match perfectly to your front calipers. no need more even more shelby logos on the car lol.

my buddy has custom wildwoods on his 68 camaro he's building. two different yellows. drove him nuts. he finally had them redone to
match each other. lol

I thought long and hard about that but I have had the same cover on ( but in black to match at thst time my black brembos ) for some time and I prefer those but now red.

I will take another look at a bullitt mustang at the dealership and ponder. Probably will stand pat though

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
Been a while since I last posted and I am only smiles.
Issues with the hardware specifically the pins that help hold the pads in place once I got the right kit havent budged.

Absolutly love the size of these calipers and of course the color.

The only issue is I dont have enough tire or stickness to use the 15 inch rotor and 6 piston calipers to its fullest

Once my front tires are gone I am going to go with a 275 or 285x30x20. Already did a test fitment on a used cup 2 tire and am aiming at replacing my Nitto G2's with this tire

Users who are viewing this thread