1973 Detomaso Pantera Build Thread - Group 4 - FAT BTTM

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
1973 Detomaso Pantera Build Thread - Group 4

So, I decided to consolidate some threads that I originally started over the years, and keep it all in one place. Hopefully, I'll create a coffee table timeline of this build. It's been 7yrs to the date. Through life changes, and other challenges, there was some ebs and now some flows. The car is definitely not for everyone, but I've had a thing for these cars since I was about 3yrs old (apparently).

Looking forward to starting it up at the end of the summer and finally putting some tags on it. Officially deemed "Fat Bottom" (tags hopefully will be FAT BTTM) as a friend ironically called the car...and, with any car, this lady definitely has her own personality. Blue eyed floozy, without question!

So, as this thread progresses, I'll hope to include timeline, and method to the madness. Enjoy....continue to stay tuned for further pics. I'll be adding pics throughout the thread, not to the original post.

Acquired the car after selling my 2003 Cobra. Made some cash off the Cobra, bought a Tahoe and with the extra cash, got this lil gem. I saw a diamond in the rough...but was chastised heavily by my Father and local Pantera crew. I grew up around the cars, so I've had the pleasure of meeting a good amount of folks with these cars as their dear passion.

Cobra:
IMG_3057_zps038ac6cf.jpg

IMG_0816_zpsed7cccec.jpg

Pantera - First Sight:

cb581e83_zps725daaae.jpg

c76d5624_zps6554284f.jpg

0994f8cd_zps4d208f60.jpg

To the Garage:

original_zpsa1eac59d.jpg

originalrear_zps93317e49.jpg

original2_zpsccb6cb4e.jpg

Start-up video on page 7.

Last edited:

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
As one could see, the car required substantial body work. It seems as if the previous owner, who had dreams of turning it into a race car, had banged it up a bit in the rear...the damage was trivial from the outside, but the surprises would come.

However, we trucked along. First up was getting the suspension set up and put on the car, and off the silly dolly. The suspension is relatively beefed up, compared to stock. Good amount of camber, and caster. I pan to drive the proverbial wheels off the car, as well as tool around with it on the track. Been racing since I was 17, so the plans are to create one helluva a street car with enough sass to heckle some Corvettes (albeit the Pre-C7 cars).

photo-1.jpg

...clearly, the wheels don't fit, as I was using my Dad's old '71 wheels that were 15" tall. Those weren't cutting it for me, as I was planning on a nice little resto-mod style to the existing design perfection (IMO).

photo3.jpg

Had some plans to get wheels similar to these...but, they halted production, so I was left to find another path forward.

3010053154_F8E64E11CF251C624BBE6262.jpg

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
With the additional challenge of finding wheels both that I like, and fit those fat ass flares (not to mention tires that would accommodate), I decided to go the custom route. Needed something that looked like these:

CameraPictures648.jpg

GR4_zps46b9aba5.jpg

Enter Steve from True Forged. What a bad ass with his customer service. Shipped me sample wheels so that I could test fit the sizing, given the ridiculous sizing, and offsets:

photo-2.jpg

Ended up going with the Formulas: (not a fan of the wheel bolts, so I went 2-piece...much to Steve's dismay, as I think these were SLIGHTLY harder to make.

(Rears 19x14)

wheel6_zpsf101010b.jpg

wheel2_zpsf6c2d5d9.jpg

(Fronts 18x10 (I think))

wheel3_zps93ed9a90.jpg

Frontal:

1wheel50_zps3db76000.jpg

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Can't wait to see this. Love Panteras and would love to see them come back from the dead.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Paint took roughly 2 years:
Body ended up being in pretty rough shape. Rust, and major amounts of repairs...and it cost me 3x the amount originally estimated. Two body shops wouldn't even touch the car because they didn't understand the body lines.

Body guy and paint guy absolutely killed it. Smoothed out all the holes, and ensured it's ready for shows. I didn't particularly care for a show-car paint job, as it's going to get tracked, but it turned out really nice....painter assumed that 2yrs after I receive it, he'll come back and smooth everything out and correct all the paint due to damages from assembly.

clean-up20repair20area1.jpg

ready20for20first20prime2.jpg

ready20for20first20prime3.jpg

ready20for20first20prime.jpg

first20prime6.jpg

Had to trim the flares up a bit, which was a doozy due to the wheels already fitted to the car. Turned out all good though:
first20prime5.jpg

rh20door20first20prime.jpg

much20better20rh20qrtr.jpg

Last edited:

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Ended up getting some teaser photos from him: (not cool...after all it was 2yrs missing)

I went with a midnight, metallic blue. It looks dark blue, or black inside and at night...but, gives off a nice blue hue with a hint of purple in the daylight. It's classy, if I do say so myself.

IMAG0140-1.jpg

IMAG0141.jpg

IMAG0139.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

Last edited:

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Then it arrived...wheels and all. I was unable to make it to the arrival, so I had my Dad (tall dude in the photos) organize it's storage in the garage until I could get time to get to it.

photo3f.jpg

photo2b.jpg

Neighbors were like "WTF?"

photo4-2.jpg

Dad's Pantera in the background too.

photo3-2.jpg

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
So, the assembly begins:

photo1-3.jpg

Engine is a .030 over 351C. Dyno'd at 475hp...nothing too fancy. It will be transplanted with a mega 427 stroker in the future.

pistons_zpsbba709da.jpg

clutch_zps836027b5.jpg

engine_zps84f68963.jpg

parts_zps04083882.jpg

longblock_zpsefcb70b6.jpg

Radiator. They don't cool all that well, so it's a beefed up radiator. AC was moved to the front as well...I decided not to have the gaudy looking AC unit in the rear of the car. Cleaned things up a bit.
znfv_zpsd58107f6.jpg

phu7i56urwy3_zpsbaab77dd.jpg

Brake lines were a bitch. I despise installing grommets!

photoqqtrqwe_zps1575fcd7.jpg

Wiring harness...naturally had to re-wire the car from scratch. Used a 40yr old wiring diagram that didn't match for shit...but, it worked/works.

photoe_zps184d6487.jpg

photon_zps00d3eb5e.jpg

photo4-3.jpg

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Got the brakes rebuilt and modified slightly. I got the larger wheels to accommodate for some beefy 6-pistons, but those had to wait. Had to make some cuts due to an engagement ring and my budget getting tight!

photoqwery_zpsbabd948b.jpg

photoiuyu_zps17ab277b.jpg

photoqwer_zpsd008189c.jpg

Installed the master cylinder and chassis brace kit:

phototyui_zpsb2635330.jpg

ph34584_zpsd4130b1a.jpg

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Now that the chassis was largely finished and the brakes and lines were finished up, I moved onto the more challenging bits. Interior....ugh. I had a 6pt cage installed and it makes the build just a bit more challenging...and, that is putting it lightly.

Couple of photos of it on the lift, with some other pics of the garage.

asdf_zps16856660.jpg

photob_zps0bf3c8c0.jpg

photoasdf_zpsb57579f2.jpg

Had to cut the dash up to get it to fit. That and I found an early dash (71 model), but my car is a "late" model...so, things need a little.massaging. to get to fit. I use "massaging" lightly. I had to custom make all the brackets, re-mount the steering column mount and re-drill holes in the car to get it to fit. I'm still praying it all comes together!

photoi_zpsb727c726.jpg

photot_zps4066d037.jpg

photop_zps8d8c4318.jpg

I'm interested to see the look on the upholstery guy's face when I discuss how I want him to re-lay the cover. Looking at a gray color for the interior to offset the dark blue.

photoc_zps914d421b.png

Then bought a set of kick ass Corbeaus for the car. Think it will go nicely! They kind of look beige, but they're actually gray. Hoping to match the Mercedes gray interior color with these.

image_zps7929227b.jpg

Last edited:

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Dynamat'd the entire interior. Left some areas of the floor pans until I get the seat belts and seat mounting locations. The seats will be bolted straight to the pan as it's a LIL tight in there with the cage! When I sit in the seats and put a helmet on, I bang the upper right support!

photo5_zpscff67f1c.jpg

photo3_zpsbabbdc1d.jpg

Was missing a headliner, and one probably wouldn't fit anyways due to the cage...so, I used carpet. It turned out fantastic! Not that you can see it in the photos, but it's reallllly clean looking. I'm STILL pulling glue out of my hair from spraying it on the ceiling.

image_zps36a561ea.jpg

Last edited:

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Installed the exhaust:

I MAY go 180s...but, these really fill out the back of the car:
image_zps1da439de.jpg

Couple of shots until I get the interior updated and installed. Looking to put the motor in the car in a couple of weeks.

image_zpsa03407be.jpg

A little shop help: (he prefers duck hunting, I think. But safety first!)

image_zps9726d00a.jpg

You can really see the blue/purple popping with the sunshine coming through the garage.

image_zps7615c339.jpg

A shot awhile back. Notice the wheels tucked up under the car. I was a bit nervous about it, since I spent so much time and effort getting them perfectly measured. But, not to fail! A little weight in the car and some Timkins bearings and updated up-rights:

photo098_zps5fad627e.jpg

photob_zps9282b1f7.jpg

Last edited:

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Car is gorgeous. One of my favorite cars (pantera) and you're doing it very well.

Thanks for the pics!
William

Users who are viewing this thread