2000 Cobra R Vortech install progress

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member

Bill Anderson

Established Member
Bill - I don't know if this is true, but I have heard and read it on several occassions that the centrifical blowers and the roots type blowers do not put out the same horse power numbers lb. per lb. of boost. I do not know the reason why? maybe volume differences?, not sure.........

I can say that I have seen Vortec centrif's that do spec at 1000+ hp but the S/C's I have seen are larger units and they were far from being street or emissions friendly. What is your Vortec unit rated in boost, size, etc?

The blower in the upper right of this post is the 3.6LC KB. It is rated at 800 rwhp. and 900 flywheel according to Roger at Shelby American. It is a step up from the Super Snake 2.8H that is at 725-750 (flywheel) and way larger than the Eaton that originally came on my car at 500 horse.<<All of this with OEM cast iron exhaust manifolds (no tubed headers) and still meeting emissions in the 50 states. Going beyond emissions, SA Motorsports is now building a 1000 hp Super Snake. One of the 1000 hp was recently sold to a buyer in the mideast.

I can say that currently, even with my 2.8H level @ 725-750, the hp drops off quickly as the heat rises. When I install the 3.6 liquid cooled I am also going to install the Shelby Upgrade Cooling System which includes a new/larger radiator, I/C, dual fans and other associated parts. Without a correctly sized intercooler system, the hp is short lived when things get hot.

When I was at the 40th, I stopped at the Vortech vendor tent and noticed that a 2000 Cobra R was on the cover of their brochure. I asked them if they made a kit for the 00R, they said no, but they had a 3rd party vendor who did.

This was the brochure back in 2003.............

Picture1958-1.jpg

I must admit that a 2000 Cobra R would be much more exciting at these higher S/C'ed hp levels, but there is also something to be said for having these higher hp levels and pinning yourself back in the seat with the A/C blowing............

R

Hi,

I will be using a V7 which tops at 30psi 1200hp...it is a replacement for the old V4... I think...but has been made to fit the v1 and v2 bracketry.....the guy that is having the brackets fabbed up runs one on a renegade car with a navi style 5.4, cobra intake with spacers, big stuff 3...at around 30psi I think he is making well over 1200, but he spins the crap out of it....but has been very reliable...the class he runs in will not allow an intercooler, requires an air filter, mufflers and full interior...bottom end is equiv, but don't know what cams he has, but don't think they are much larger than what the stock r cams are.

I approached vortech about brackets a year or so ago, and they did not mention to me that they had someone that could fab them up, they pretty much told me that I was on my own...luckily, my friend down here has already gone through installing one of these on a 5.4 and knows what is required...

I am curious to see what kind of power it makes...

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Established Member
Some additional pics of the fore hat with dual GT pumps and some experimenting with some vortech cast adapters to attach to the inter-cooler piping..as it turns out the elbow (used on 99/01 cobra) when installed backwards from a normal cobra, transitions up, this will clear the blower perfectly...will give it a nice factory look...hopefully...more to come :)

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/billanderson10257/IMG00208.jpg
http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/billanderson10257/IMG00207.jpg
http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/billanderson10257/IMG00206.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Established Member
I am the owner of the Vortech 00R in Virginia. Still have it and she runs very well. With only 8 lbs. and the supporting fuel system with an h-pipe running around 650 at the rear. She's a blast with the blower. Only problem is need new tires.

Hello,

I am the one adding a V7 to mine...which model did you use on yours?

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
Can these ECU's be tuned yet, or do you have to go to stand alone?
I would love to build a silly "R"!

NVRENUFBOOST

Established Member
That's only with 8 psi. The heads on these cars are incredible. The only thing I don't like is that it almost boosts like a turbo. It's very gradual and then all of a sudden it's a rocket. I had planned on changing pulleys for more boost or doing an upgrade on the blower but got sidetracked.

CCM302

Established Member
I'm in the midst of a 5.4 DOHC with FGT heads and a '00R intake. I noticed upon disassembly of my fabbed upper intake that the o-rings supplied were too fat for the grooves. I found the correct size to be a #35 o-ring...or an ID of 9/16" and an OD of 11/16". FYI. Not sure if this is old news or not.

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Established Member
I'm in the midst of a 5.4 DOHC with FGT heads and a '00R intake. I noticed upon disassembly of my fabbed upper intake that the o-rings supplied were too fat for the grooves. I found the correct size to be a #35 o-ring...or an ID of 9/16" and an OD of 11/16". FYI. Not sure if this is old news or not.

thanks for the info, that will come in handy

CCM302

Established Member
Does anyone happen to know what material to use for the upper intake mounting boss o-rings? I found that McMaster-Carr has several different options for materials. Rubber, Neoprene, Silicone, and Buna-N just to name a few.

Bill Anderson

Established Member
Does anyone happen to know what material to use for the upper intake mounting boss o-rings? I found that McMaster-Carr has several different options for materials. Rubber, Neoprene, Silicone, and Buna-N just to name a few.

would have to be buna-n to be compatible with gasoline

CCM302

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread