2001 Cobra Crank No Start

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Went and unhooked the Light Green/white strip wire that I had repaired. No change. The side without voltage looks like it runs over to the plug that runs inside the car to the PCM. Unsure where it’s getting its voltage.

Decided to make everything normal minus connecting the above mentioned wire and try to run codes. With OBD2 no codes since I erased them. With engineering/test reading only DTC9356. What does that 9356 point to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just googled it and it’s ignition circuit issue

Maybe @hotcobra03 can swoop in with a diagnostic guide

67 cdime

Established Member
Hard to find help a lot of times lol. Finally got my daughter to try starting this thing while I pulled the plug and laid it on the strut bolt. I am definitely not getting any spark. Repeat no spark which changes the game.

What causes no spark?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Hard to find help a lot of times lol. Finally got my daughter to try starting this thing while I pulled the plug and laid it on the strut bolt. I am definitely not getting any spark. Repeat no spark which changes the game.

What causes no spark?

Sounds like you need to run down that diagnostic code and find the wiring issue. Try googling that code 2001 cobra pinpoint guide maybe

67 cdime

Established Member
Quick question, when I'm looking at the pinout for the ECM. Particularly 26 shows a light green/white wire as the COP wire for Cylinder 1, but it also shows it as the PCM to ignition coil plug as well. Why are they sharing pin 26. Kinda confusing.

67 cdime

Established Member
Does anyone have the exploded view of the engine wiring harness with route and colors? I'm struggling to find it.

01yellercobra

Established Member
@Vinnie_B might have something too.

This is the best I could do on my phone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240519_100528_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240519_100528_Samsung Internet.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20240519_100540_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240519_100540_Samsung Internet.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 12

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
NO SPARK (Check related Ignition wiring diagrams attached in PDF'S)

CHECK PCM DRIVER TO COILS
  • Connect incandescent test lamp between B+ and each coil driver circuit at the harness connector.
  • Crank engine.

Does lamp blink consistently and brightly (one blink per engine revolution)?

IF not, it could be either or

• Crankshaft position (CKP) sensor
  • Harness Circuits: CKP+ and CKP-
  • Powertrain control module (PCM)

Attachments

• Ignition page 1 (No Spark).pdf
    151.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Ignition page 4 (No Spark).pdf
    139.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

67 cdime

Established Member
Thanks all for the information. I was busy all day yesterday and was unable to do anything. Hoping to get some time tonight with the information you guys have provided.

One question, so to test the coil, its a test light between the Battery + and the coil?

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks all for the information. I was busy all day yesterday and was unable to do anything. Hoping to get some time tonight with the information you guys have provided.

One question, so to test the coil, its a test light between the Battery + and the coil?
This YT video may help explain testing coil driver. Go to 4:51 in the video. If you feel uncomfortable with it just get a spark plug/coil tester and check all the coils/plugs for spark. Here is a amazon example or something similiar.

Tool Aid 23970 in-Line Spark Checker Kit for Recessed Plug​

67 cdime

Established Member
Only thing I really accomplished was verifying all grounds at the ECU plug. I also verified that the Light Green/White wire that was mouse chewed is most definitely the cylinder 1 coil wire. Unsure why it comes up on the drivers side of the engine as well. Seems odd.

That’s about as much as I accomplished. I will try to put everything back to normal tomorrow and start testing the coils as mentioned above.

hotcobra03

Established Member
All signs point to spark it seems. With the plugs wet, that tells me the injectors are pulsing fuel.

No idea on the wire that I repaired. I took the loom off from the CMPS all the way back to cylinder 8 injector as that was where the damaged wire was. It’s an odd wire that slack just seems to come up that loom and disappear behind the engine. It’s a GREEN wire with a WHITE strip. I tested keyed 12v on one side and no voltage on the other. At first I thought it was 2 different wires going up the harness. I have struggled to find any wiring diagrams to figure out what the wire is.

This is interesting.
LG/white wire
On side had 12v with key on?
And the other no power ..

How about a photo of said wire. ,

Few other things.

All fuses were checked in engine bay and under dash?
With a actual tool. Not just looking.

Than while you have been playing and spraying into motor.

Has the air inlet been off? And open throttle body?

Have you scanned for codes after cranking engine?

Than say you do have spark and have been cranking like crazy and find the plugs wet?

Very common for a set of plugs to cause a no start after flooding on these .

Will wait on your results as to having spark

hotcobra03

Established Member

In here. Service manual on 2003

Close enough to 01.

Has small manual with basic wiring,will work on a cell phone ,,

Same paragraph that's in.

Icon on the left of paragraph is link into the full service manual with everything for a computer/laptop

67 cdime

Established Member
The wire in question is most certainly the cylinder one COP. I traced it out on both sides. The reason it has voltage is that it is getting powered like the other coil wires by the red wire at the coil when the coil is plugged in. I traced the other side to Pinout 26 in the ECU harness.
4c760f28b9f4f67fbc34d1bda895e1d2.jpg

I have verified power to the coil plug wire (red) and back probed the signal wire with the coil pack plug in and verified voltage there (without coil plugged in, it reads no voltage and open lead with DOM). I have 12v present at the coil plug as well. I haven’t gotten a spark tester to verify spark yet.

67 cdime

Established Member
I am not getting spark. Tested on 2 plugs. Used a known good spark plug as well. No spark. Like I said according to all diagrams, I have the proper voltage. ECU just isn’t sending a spark signal.

What do I check next? Verified CKPS and TPS. Only code is DTC9356. I pulled negative wire and cleared all codes. This one is persistent.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I am not getting spark. Tested on 2 plugs. Used a known good spark plug as well. No spark. Like I said according to all diagrams, I have the proper voltage. ECU just isn’t sending a spark signal.

What do I check next? Verified CKPS and TPS. Only code is DTC9356. I pulled negative wire and cleared all codes. This one is persistent.

The PCM provides a ground for the primary side of the coil. Secondary side of the coil is what provides spark. As I stated before it could be either or below.....

• Crankshaft position (CKP) sensor
  • Harness Circuits: CKP+ and CKP-
  • Powertrain control module (PCM)

Users who are viewing this thread