2003 Sonic Blue Stolen 02-25

lethal

Established Member
Been gone a while. Short story is that my baby was stolen Thursday morning (story below) and recovered thanks to a $600 investment made in Oct 2002.
My daily driver is a 08 Rubicon. The story has a happy ending =)

-----------------------

So, as best we can figure, the car was stolen between 2:30 and 5:00 AM when the theft was discovered by my brother. The Jeep was in front of the car, so they disabled it (undoing the tranny cable and pushing it across the street). The thieves got in, broke the steering column, got it steerable and then pushed it down the street. Since it is a manual transmission, they rolled it -- popped the clutch and the car started. A neighbor thinks he heard my car down the street about 2:45 AM. After the theft (discovered about 5AM), I called police to report it and activiate Lojack, so they can track it. I was concerned about the battery, because it was dead, but I found out Lojack has its own battery internally as well. Plus, they drove it and that charged up the battery. The cops came out, got my statement and dusted for prints. After they left, I tried to start the Jeep, but the car thought it was in neutral, so it would not start. I had to call my shop, have them tow it and fix it. Within 20 minutes it was good to go, I showered, dressed, left the house and went and got the Jeep so I could go to work.

I got to work about 9AM. I got a call from CS police at 10:10 AM. The Hialeah police recovered the car and it was in a police impound. I don't have the full report, but it is highly probable they got the car well before 10AM, it took a while to get reported to me. I had to go back home, get keys, and a copy of my registration to retrieve the car. I met my insurance company down there. I told them I wanted the car fixed, not to total it. I went down there (35 miles from the office) with a friend. The car was in decent shape, the engine, transmission, new wheels and tires, radio and amplifiers were all there. They messed up a couple of parts and some paint. On the inside, the panel below the steering column was removed, but it looked all there. I was so relieved. I gave the yard permission to turn over the car to Progressive. This was all on Thursday, what a day.

On Friday, I found out the car will be at Platinum Paint and Body. They will fix it up, I'll pay my $500 deductible and all will be well. I'm going to ask them about painting the entire car (on my dime) and hopefully, they will work with me on a price. I'll be very happy to get the car back, I'm also putting in a security system (cameras) and there is a very cool upgrade to Lojack. Adding on to what I have, there is an early warning system that can e-mail me or page my phone, alerting me that the car has been moved w/o my permission. Then, I can notify police even quicker and catch the bastard driving it. What a month. I'm just so glad Feb 2010 is over.

John

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
wow glad you got it back in one piece and so quickly, good luck with the paint job

how many times do you think they hit the rev limiter :burnout:

Last edited:

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
They must have really wanted your car to have moved your Jeep just to get to it. Glad to hear there wasn't too much damage!:beer:

Without the Lojack, the car would have probably been stripped by the time the cops found it...:eek:

moot09

Established Member
Awesome you got it back. I need to look into getting Lojack. Id go crazy if my car was stolen

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
everyone wants their hands on a sonic blue cobra:rolling:

its goes without saying .. glad you got it back:beer:

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
good to hear that you got your car back, best 600 you ever spent. without that lojack, you would have never seen it again

gabe1530

Banned
i know i need one but this just makes me want to get lojack asap!

glad you got it back and it wasnt too messed up!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Always a very low chance a stolen Terminator will be recovered in decent shape. Many disappear forever and others are wrecked/destroyed beyond repair. Lojack was certainly a great tool for you in this case. Congrats on getting it back so soon and in fairly good shape. Shame, though, that apparently the thieves got away.

Sounds like you park your car on the street. If so, then you most definitely need the maximum anti-theft protection possible. Especially down there.

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
Good thing they didn't pull the Lojack out. They are all in the same place on the Mustangs and any 'seasoned' thief would yank that within minutes of taking the car. Glad to hear that it all worked out for you in the end.

lethal

Established Member
Thanks guys.

I don't really have another place to store the car, I'm working on getting a garage built, this really opened my eyes. I figured I would have needed the Lojack for the first 5 years, but certainly not now... I mean, the car can be had for $15-20K in better shape than mine. This is my VIN, and I'm the only one (until that night) who put miles on her.

Nobody was caught, if I upgrade to the early warning system, it will require a whole new unit, so instead of a $300 upgrade, I'd have to spring for the $995 total package. The EWS will page your phone if the car is moved w/o the keys (missing FOB). I'm considering it, for sure, just alot to spend considering I'm thinking about getting it painted. I may just throw the $1000 towards the garage.

Users who are viewing this thread