2011 gt500 1-2 shift problem

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
3 of 6 passes

went to the track this past Saturday, couldnt hit 2nd 3 of my 6 passes.....UNLESS i distinctly paused took my foot off the throttle put it in 2nd then nailed 2nd again, costs me ET and MPH, my car wont let it in under hard acceleration and quick shifting.....it grinds as if the clutch isnt released all the way but my foot is through the floor board.....someone told me it could be the driveline stress at the point that im about to shift but im lack thats whacked and makes no sense....im wondering if going to an aftermarket shifter will help.....i love my car, its a 10 GB Shelby, im at the point where i just want to pull on it as hard as i can and force it in no matter the consequences.....i tried just driving around town at slow speeds and keeping my clutch pedal right down to the floor and yanking on the shifter as hard as i can and their is a distinct clunk....i never engage the gear i just go 1-2 with my clutch all the way down to see what happens and i hear a clunk every time and im doing this at 15-20 miles/hr....definately something going on and it sounds like we all have the same problem.....ive gone on youtube and watched the early lethal performance vids and who ever is driving is slamming gears pretty good and seems not to have issues.....it just sucks that POWERSHIFTING is a no no and quick shifting is a roll of the dice and a 50/50 proposition unless u shift it like an old lady......im very frustrated...i just put a whipple on my car to go fast at the track and 50% of my runs i couldnt nail second because it would reject it, the other 50% i had to go to my shift point, come off throttle, then kinda slam it in 2nd then nail the throttle again, it seemed like a year had passed between my 1-2 shift.....funny thing is it goes in like butter on my stock tires, BUT when i have grip with my Drag Radials it doesnt so the driveline loaded stress comment i was told earlier kinda seems bang on although i find it to be rediculous.....i hope their is a fix for this....shiatty thing is what are we suppose to do, head to the dealer and say hey last night at the track when i went to slam 2nd it was rejected? I know it wont do it on my stock tires or at least it will only do it 10% of the time and its because im blowing the tires away just spinning so their is no load build up on the driveline.....

BigDan

Established Member
I also have the same 1-2 shift problem just like every other 2010+ member here but it seems to only do it on the first or second pass or if im not totally focused on the shift. I'm also having grinding when I try to shift into reverse so bad it wont engauge unless I go into 1st gear before reverse. Oh and my air bag light comes on about 50% of the time. I'm not looking forward to taking it to the dealer, and they will probably give me a $13k rental car

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
so has anyone changed shifters to see if that fixes the shifting problem on the 2010-2011

kent1

Established Member
This is terrible to have this problem on a new car that has been in production for 5 years now. The car is suppose to get better not end this way. It seems Ford's quality control is lacking on testing the GT 500. Their is no excuse for their top car to be having these problems. I will just keep the 08 for now. Thanks for all of the posts of this issue.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Man, this sounds incredibly similar to what the 03/04 Mach 1 guys experienced. Of course, that was the T-3650. But, often it was a clutch related issue. In that case the plastic quadrant would flex during hard shifting. Makes me wonder is this is slave cylinder related, given the GT500s hydraulic set up.

Last edited:

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
2-3 does this in my 08 on the drag strip if i try to shift really fast. I have the clutch 100% depressed, but it will still very lightly grind, i can feel it in the handle, but it always goes in

svtcobra2k1

Dead Crawlin...
Established Member
At first I thought it was my driving but after doing some searching there are tons of other people with this problem, seems like half have it, others done. I think that the problem should be reported so ford can find a fix for this and issue a tsb.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
has anyone noticed on the 10 or 11 the length of the throw? for example on mine, the distance from neutral to first or third is about twice as far as the distance from neutral to second or fourth. just a thought.

mine 08 goes into 2nd and 4th fine, but i can feel it in the handle like i'm trying to overshift

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
This really amazes me that this problem hasn't been resolved yet. A good share of the blame should also be placed with Tremec since the vette and viper owners are having similar problems.

One thing I can tell you is these trannys do not like to be shifted slowly, especially when cold.

If you've had grinding and don't want to take it to the dealer, my advice is to change out the tranny fluid and lose the stock shifter as fast a possible and replace it with an aftermarket piece. I happen to have the Shelby shifter, while pricey, it is a quality piece. The tranny fluid should be changed since you've had grinding and you don't want the metal floating around. I'm still using the Mercon V which is what you get from Ford.

svtcobra2k1

Dead Crawlin...
Established Member
I also noticed the length of the throw is different for 1,3,5 and 2,4,6

Guys, I called svt and talked with a rep. He had no idea about the problem. I told him there were a ton of us with the problem. He reccomeded that we call to report the problem and they can start keeping track. He said there was no fix or tab he knew of.

1-800-ford-svt

Users who are viewing this thread