2013 Super Snake 850 Clutch Failure!

BADER_Q8

I just got my 2013 Shelby Super Snake 850 package delivered recently, the first thing I noticed was the clutch pedal seemed a bit heavy, and the clutch engagement takes place way at the last inch of releasing it.
The failure took place at around 310 miles on the odometer, when I was on 2nd gear and the clutch slipped for the first time! Now even cruising on 6th gear overtaking a car it slips!
I contacted Shelby American and they seemed surprised of my case and thought that the stock clutch shouldn't fail.
I am wondering if I am alone or is there someone else with the same problem? if so, where should I start? I would really like to keep everything stock on my car (possibly bleeding the clutch or any other adjustments), but if I had no other choice than going aftermarket, what is the best clutch recommended?

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
6th gear passing is guaranteed to stress a slipping clutch. You'll need to go with a McLeod but I thought those were standard on Shelby 850s and 1000s...:??:

How did you drive it those 310 miles? If you started giving it hell from the get-go you may have been the cause.

Van@RevanRacing

I just got my 2013 Shelby Super Snake 850 package delivered recently, the first thing I noticed was the clutch pedal seemed a bit heavy, and the clutch engagement takes place way at the last inch of releasing it.
The failure took place at around 310 miles on the odometer, when I was on 2nd gear and the clutch slipped for the first time! Now even cruising on 6th gear overtaking a car it slips!
I contacted Shelby American and they seemed surprised of my case and thought that the stock clutch shouldn't fail.
I am wondering if I am alone or is there someone else with the same problem? if so, where should I start? I would really like to keep everything stock on my car (possibly bleeding the clutch or any other adjustments), but if I had no other choice than going aftermarket, what is the best clutch recommended?

850 Super Snake will over stress the clutch. The OEM Clutch was never designed to handle 850 crank horsepower. It's not a matter of if it was simply a matter of when and in your case when came very early.

Clutches have been a heavily discussed and argued topic on the forum. I use and prefer SPEC. I used a SPEC SS on my 765 RWHP 2013 GT500 and it performed flawlessly after the break in period.

For the sake of discussion Shelby does not use or sell McLeod they only use SPEC when they install or sell aftermarket clutch kits.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Once again an overpriced kit that does not include the important mods.....not surprised a stock clutch failed on that setup

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
Stock Shelby clutch break in is about 1 K miles a Spec twin disc is 500 miles so get a new clutch and break it in right.

faisal92

Established Member
السلام عليكم ،، احس الامريكان مستغربين وش قاعد اسوي ههههه بس مالي خلق اكتب بالانقليزي ... انا سيارتي شلبي ٢٠١٣ عليها بولت اونز وبكره (بولي ) الكلتش بدا يفوت شي طبيعي لاتخاف ،، اطلب كلتش مكلاود احسن لك لانه خفيف ويصلح استعمال يومي انا طلبت سبيك هو حلو وقوي بس مشكلته يتعبك حيل وثقيل واذا قومت السياره تقعد تهز شوي ههههههه

Myfast70

Established Member
That's awesome, a $41,500 "upgrade package" to 850hp and they don't even swap the clutch. Maybe they were surprised the clutch went because you actually drove it and didn't let it sit in the garage like some others tend to do.

Put a Spec clutch in it and be dne with it. Then have them (Shelby American) credit you for the clutch and the install.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Put a Spec clutch in it and be dne with it. Then have them (Shelby American) credit you for the clutch and the install.

I would be very surprised if that ended up working.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
I am surprise that they do not use a aftermarket clutch in that system....no bloody way the stock clutch could hold that kind of power. My clutch gave up at 600 whp

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
السلام عليكم ،، احس الامريكان مستغربين وش قاعد اسوي ههههه بس مالي خلق اكتب بالانقليزي ... انا سيارتي شلبي ٢٠١٣ عليها بولت اونز وبكره (بولي ) الكلتش بدا يفوت شي طبيعي لاتخاف ،، اطلب كلتش مكلاود احسن لك لانه خفيف ويصلح استعمال يومي انا طلبت سبيك هو حلو وقوي بس مشكلته يتعبك حيل وثقيل واذا قومت السياره تقعد تهز شوي ههههههه

ما نكح؟

R1Lello

Established Member
like I posted in the past, it's another Shelby mod shop rip-off. Overpriced big time !!! did you get that fake (hey he's dead) authentic signature :)

steverferguson

Established Member
My clutch failed on my 2014 GT 500 at 180 miles, slipping just like you mentioned. The original clutch had a very high bite point. They replace the clutch under warranty. The clutch felt totally different once replaced. I think there were some faulty clutches and you may have one.

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
Shelby's mod shop would have done any clutch you like on the package. You just have to order it.

It doesn't come on the Supersnake build because it would add too much money, be too labor intensive and everybody has different ideas on clutches.

I actually prefer McLeod. Many prefer Spec.

Last edited:

Imatk

Established Member
You'd think they would include a clutch upgrade since the factory clutch is designed for factory HP and 850hp is a BIT higher than factory :)

I just cracked my 2012 clutch and I'm at about 630 hp or so... so yeah.

I'll be going with McLeod when I do another clutch.

Users who are viewing this thread