2014 GT500's on Nurburgring

IShb3w

Established Member
taken from leftlanenews.com who shot this video:

Last week, our spies caught a different test mule that has the same unique cooling modifications, as well as two other brand-new changes. The first is a pair of winglets added to the front bumper to generate additional downforce, suggesting Ford is planning on doing some fairly high-speed testing of this mule. The second change only adds credence to that theory as it is the addition of a complete roll-cage system including a crossbar extending over the top of the dashboard.

Update #2
Upon closer inspection, we have also noticed the addition of drilled rotors on both the black and red GT500 mules we spotted, which are not available in any way on the 2012 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500. When an automaker adds more serious brakes it is almost always confirmation of more power – suggesting that will be the case for the next GT500 as well.

What we know so far
Ford is expected to unleash a new Shelby GT500 around 2013 and various reports have suggested anything from a 5.8-liter supercharged V8 to a twin-turbocharged version of the company’s new 5.0-liter V8.

If you look closely at either set of spy photos, you will notice the addition of what appears to be an extended intercooler in the vehicle’s left foglamp housing rather than the lamp itself. By contrast, the opposite side features a simple tape coverup, likely intended to give the appearance of the same darkened area created by the removal of the bulb and housing for the left side.

Furthermore, it appears additional cooling lines – possibly an extension of an intercooler system – are visible in the upper grille area.

Given the continual push toward more fuel-efficient vehicles due to rising fuel prices and more stringent CAFE standards, it makes sense that Ford and Shelby would opt for a presumably more efficient 5.0-liter V8 than a traditionally supercharged large displacement V8.

fangstang

Established Member
I love the fact that Ford is taking the mustangs handling seriously. Its about time

JBR87

Established Member
Saw a test mule last night had a brief convo with the engineer driving it until he told me I actually knew too much then he left letting it hang a bit.

he said no turbos and I was not the only one asking him about it (although I did see the massive intercooler/heat exchanger)

It had nice racing recaro type seats with the snake embroidered in them when I pointed out they were new he said maybee lol

sounded sick did not seem to have a blower whine when he left.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Saw a test mule last night had a brief convo with the engineer driving it until he told me I actually knew too much then he left letting it hang a bit.

he said no turbos and I was not the only one asking him about it (although I did see the massive intercooler/heat exchanger)

It had nice racing recaro type seats with the snake embroidered in them when I pointed out they were new he said maybee lol

sounded sick did not seem to have a blower whine when he left.

Dude, sweet. Good job Ford!

BleedBlueOval

Established Member
I've listend to this clip with bose QC2s over and over, and know very well how superchargers sound like, and know how the 5.0s sound like.

You can put this in the front page, back page middle page wherever-- headliners, column one or two. I guarantee this is not a 5.0 SC'ed Snake or supercharged for that matter.

60% certain its NA.

edit I fail. it is supercharged. Damn it. right at 35 seconds as it goes down a small straight away, you can hear the "weeeee" off the guard rail. Gonna have to go with the TVS 5.4L option here.

GD, i was really hoping for the 5.8 NA. :(

Last edited:

BleedBlueOval

Established Member
its still a 5.4

skip to 49 seconds and you can easily tell its still a 5.4 by comparing it to this video
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgxgofbO0NA"]YouTube - ‪Legend - Shelby GT500 Opening Scene‬‏[/nomedia]

Jroc

Established Member
I thought the Mustang was up for a full re-design in 2014?

I agree that I feel it will still be S/C. Honestly there's no need to change to TT. I also agree that Ford will at least step up to a TVS blower with the new Camaro ZR1 coming out. It would be great if they opened up the 5.4's bore to a 3.700" bore, and made it a 5.8L motor, but that's too early to tell IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread