2014 -vs- 2015 share you're two cents

2014 -vs- 2015 share you're two cents

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gabed1972

Established Member
Maybe I am the only one that feels this way but if "I wanted a euro styled car" or something "Aston Martinish" I wouldn't be driving an American Muscle Car, with a Big V8, and loud exhaust.

To me this is the equivalent of The Harley Davidson Motorcycle Company saying hey here is a "bright idea" new Harley's will now look and sound and have the look and feel of a rice rocket.

This should increase our sales. :xpl:

I think ford might be on the verge of loosing loyal mustang buyers to other euro brands if the cars look so European why not just buy a foreign car.

Plus I don't want to drive a car that might be mistaken for a fusion. (At least from the front)

I like that the mustang has it own look and think this isn't going to be as big a hit as others seem to think... :sleeping:

cababah

Established Member
No sense in crying foul; the car isn't even released yet!

I have a feeling Ford knows what they are doing...

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Maybe I am the only one that feels this way but if "I wanted a euro styled car" or something "Aston Martinish" I wouldn't be driving an American Muscle Car, with a Big V8, and loud exhaust.

To me this is the equivalent of The Harley Davidson Motorcycle Company saying hey here is a "bright idea" new Harley's will now look and sound and have the look and feel of a rice rocket.

This should increase our sales. :xpl:

I think ford might be on the verge of loosing loyal mustang buyers to other euro brands if the cars look so European why not just buy a foreign car.

Plus I don't want to drive a car that might be mistaken for a fusion. (At least from the front)

I like that the mustang has it own look and think this isn't going to be as big a hit as others seem to think... :sleeping:

You are experiencing the same thing generation upon generation has felt since 1964. Change is scary when you love what already is. Ford has always done it's best to maintain the "DNA" of what a Mustang is at it's core. They know we are an opinionated lot. They found that out when they tried to make the Mustang a front wheel drive (Ford Probe). They got so many publicly unpublishable letters from fans they quickly regrouped and chalked up that "Ooops!" to "Lesson Learned". The car will be fun, don't worry. :beer:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I think I can dig up similar threads from across the Internet from some point in 2004...

We all know how that turned out.

kabooka

Established Member
As much as I love the s197, the new Mustang will rage forward and leave it in the dust. Maybe in 20 - 30 years the s197 will be remembered.

Last edited:

mike.b

Established Member
Its not fair to compare or judge the 2015+ when we don't even truly know what it looks like or what its outfitted with. Its all speculation to this point. Ford has been making intelligent moves for several years now, give them a fair shot at this before opening up on them.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Looks like the entire Ford line-up, ( cars ), will have a Fusion flavored front end.
Glad I ordered a 14..

SlowSVT

Established Member
You are experiencing the same thing generation upon generation has felt since 1964. Change is scary when you love what already is. Ford has always done it's best to maintain the "DNA" of what a Mustang is at it's core. They know we are an opinionated lot. They found that out when they tried to make the Mustang a front wheel drive (Ford Probe). They got so many publicly unpublishable letters from fans they quickly regrouped and chalked up that "Ooops!" to "Lesson Learned". The car will be fun, don't worry. :beer:

:nono: Don't be so sure of that

As you recall the Ford Probe almost ended up being called a Mustang. John Colletti almost single handedly put a stop to that.

I hope Ford has the sense to keep the pony car architecture on the Mustang. They might be tempted to change the formula to widen the cars appeal for international sales. Looks like the 4 cylinder might be the base engine. It would be nice if they got back to the Fox chassis proportions and weight which is very likely.

Let's keep our fingers crossed

Last edited:

badmammajamma

Established Member

Yes ...some of that change was BUTT UGLY ..remember the late 70's and early 80's?

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
:nono: Don't be so sure of that

If you recall the Ford Probe almost ended up being called a Mustang. John Colletti almost single handedly put a stop to that.

I hope Ford has the sense to keep the pony car architecture on the Mustang. They might be tempted to change the formula to widen the cars appeal for international sales. Looks like the 4 cylinder might be the base engine. It would be nice if they got back to the Fox chassis proportions and weight which is very likely.

Let's keep our fingers crossed

To be fair, if John Clor (who at the time was a journalist for Autoweek and ended up working for Colletti, and now under Ford Racing) hadnt snapped spy photos of the probe when he did and published them, the probe would have been a mustang, and the mustang would probably not have seen a 5th generation.
(For the record, Colletti did a great many things for Ford and SVT, and John Clor cant say enough good things about him!)

But that aside- this topic is about as half cocked as it gets. There is zero chance we can formulate an opinion at this point.

Now, Im not saying it isnt without merit- If you want to change the thread to this-

IF Ford releases a Mustang that is a complete departure from the current S197, and loses all characteristics of what we associate with the mustang platform, ....thoughts, opinions. That is a different story.

But, even at that, I hesitate to make a judgment even in theory.

What if Ford comes out with a two seater, 400 pound lighter, a powerplant that is dropping 450RWHP, an IRS, and better suspension that runs 0-60 in under 4.5 seconds, and a 1/4 mile time of +-12 seconds that looks nothing like a muscle car? What if the car has really good styling that departs from anything we have seen, and they throw out a car that suddenly can go head to head with a vette, in its own class, and beat it in every statistic, and be 20k less? (Base model to base model)

Is that likely? No. But my point is more to illustrate that there are a multitude of "what ifs" to this build right now, and to formulate an opinion would be unfair.

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
I like the looks of the uncovered front end of the 2015.. BUT i dont like that it looks like the fusion. Look at it and try to forget there is a fusion and it looks pretty mean. But I agree, we dont want a 2door fusion like cadillac has a 2doorCTS, nissan has a 2door altima, etc.

I am still postive about the next stang and seeing how it turns out... and even more interested on what the top dog stang will be called, what it will have as an engine, and what it will look like! Exactly the interest and anticipation ford wants!

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
I can't vote til I see it and the real specs. Until then mags are as inaccurate as weather forecasts.

I have my '14 and am thrilled with this, my 12th mustang, and I do hope the S550 is as cool, no matter the heritage part of it, so when they offer a killer perf model I can move on to lucky 13 ownership.

If not, I suspect the '14 can keep me smiling for many many yrs. I have faith in Ford & SVT, I'm not a fan of any of the renderings, but I've been around too long & seen the mags generate so much crap speculation I wouldn't believe them if it was 2 days before the reveal and they printed something, lol.

SlowVert

Established Member
I bought a '14 simply because I doubt any newer Mustang will depict the nostalgic elements of the 1st generation Stang so strongly. I'd have loved to by a 69 Cobra Jet or 302 Boss instead, but needed something more realistic to drive and not worry about working on... hence the 14' GT500.

With that being said - I'm a Mustang guy - and barring Ford making it a 4 door or something like a Mini I'm sure there will always be something I like about it and it will grow on me eventually.

With that being said... I don't think the Mustang HAS to be a "muscle" car.... the first gen of Shelby 350's weren't muscle cars - they were small, lightweight road coarse focused cars running Hi-Po 289's... It was until 3-4 years later the mustang started to add the real "Muscle" to the lineup. So it's still in the Mustang DNA to be a smaller, lighter hi-powered rocket... which I'm guessing it will evolve into over the next generations.

J.

Steve@BAS

Established Member
I remember in 04 when they first announced the retro style 05, and everybody lost their minds, "Why is ford going backwards instead of more modern", and now the opposite. All I can think is
tumblr_m058ynUd1W1r2zvsmo1_500.jpg

And after a year or 2 when the aftermarket world gets moving on the 15+, everyone will start to like them too. And unfortunately the prices of most S197 will drop drastically. I think the GT500's will hold a while longer as no cobra/gt500 is rolling out right away, but it will be there eventually.

Of course there is always chance of a flop, but from the spy shots looks like it will be pretty cool. A good friend of mine works at Pratt & Miller, works on the C6R team, and got to see the 2015 mustang in person. While he couldn't say anything specific, he did say "you are going to like it" and he has good taste in cars, so X-fingers!!

NametoShowOther

Established Member
Aston Martin makes probably the best looking cars in the world, but they do not perform anywhere near their cost.

I look very much forward to a mustang gt350 that is closer to an Aston in size, style, but performs like the rumors of the new gt 350 suggest. The current mustang could use a significant upgrade on the interior as is.

So what I think will happen is a great looking mustang, most astonish, but remains a mustang, cost 1/3 the price of an Aston, weighs less, drives better, has better performance and actually is reliable. Not a bad thing. Of course the Aston will have better interior, oh well

BossAnaki

Established Member
And after a year or 2 when the aftermarket world gets moving on the 15+, everyone will start to like them too. And unfortunately the prices of most S197 will drop drastically. I think the GT500's will hold a while longer as no cobra/gt500 is rolling out right away, but it will be there eventually.

The 2015's are going to be direct injected so it will be a challenge to get anything more out of them then what they leave the factory with. I think that alot of people are forgetting this. The days of bolting on a supercharger may be over as upgrading direct injection is near impossible at this point and very expensive. Hopefully because the Mustang is so popular in the after market that will push someone to come up with real cost effective upgrades and not band aid ones either.

Last edited:

Gabed1972

Established Member
Aston Martin makes probably the best looking cars in the world, but they do not perform anywhere near their cost.

I look very much forward to a mustang gt350 that is closer to an Aston in size, style, but performs like the rumors of the new gt 350 suggest. The current mustang could use a significant upgrade on the interior as is.

So what I think will happen is a great looking mustang, most astonish, but remains a mustang, cost 1/3 the price of an Aston, weighs less, drives better, has better performance and actually is reliable. Not a bad thing. Of course the Aston will have better interior, oh well

I guess time will tell. But I don't see any people with old Aston Martins at car shows. Or any resto/modded Aston's. Get my point people love the classic style of the current mustangs because the original ones never went out of style.

It "American". Like rock and roll. Apple pie, Harley Davidsons and All the American Muscle Cars.

I think if someone wanted a forgien styled car they would drive something other than a Mustang.... :rockon:

Last edited:

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
You can bet that Ford will strive to make the product better with each new model year. Although I think the 13/14s will compete for quite some time (like the 03/04 cobras did/do), I would bet that the 15+ cars will become king down the road.

I'll reserve any judgements on looks until I see the final product in the flesh!

Crowley

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread