460whp/390wtq SAE!!!

86merc

Established Member
Boss IM picked up 20rwhp for me. And a much longer peak hp band.

Boss intake works. I was alittle skeptical myself at first because of all the "forum talk"

You added a boss intake to a Boss long block. Different heads, different cams and of course things like the headers help as well. Most Coyote motors are not going to see 20 rwhp gains.

I like seeing what you did for the gains. I have always been about "doing more with less". So thank you for sharing. But it looked like you were looking to stir the pot with your posts as well as putting it in the GT section versus the Boss section.

What are you planning to change next?

But in this case Efficiency is the name of the game. JPC took it even further with their Coyote Stock car.

It was cool too see that car progress. The amount of time, effort and tuning is unreal. Getting as much power to the ground as possible is not always easy. They did a great job with that car.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
OP, I do like the minimal mods you have done to get your car to where it is. I would like to do lightened 3.90's and new clutch a flywheel but just alot of money for it all.

Where did you have the gears lightened and polished?

poof100

Established Member
I am also interested to see what you have done to get down to 3375...and what you plan to do get to the goal weight?

+1, also would like to know what you have done to get your Boss down to 3375. What wheels are you running? Also, is that weight with you in it? Do you have a bar/cage in the car?

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
guess this site is a bit different then others... How do I add an attachment? (graph)

It's not that the site is different. You're just being an obnoxious attention whore and obviously not being received well. I'm on 10+ forums and these guys are being gentle. Just post up your #'s and mods and have an open discussion. Don't use terms like "old school HP knowledge" That's condescending. That phrase implies the fact that you more "experienced" than others. And you may very well be experienced, but to start a thread like this and continue as you've been is just annoying. You're taking a slight different approach to modding your car and that's cool, that's why you bought it. If you want to avoid the common mods that are known to make power and try to make it other ways, that's cool too. But it seems like you want people to be like "omg" and "how'd you do that". I can't imagine any other reason why you would say "I'll post my mods soon, I wanted to see what sort of responses I got first"

Rick88LX

Established Member
I guess I missed the part where a 2012 Boss isn't considered a 2011-2014 Mustang. It's pretty clear to me that it was a Boss right from the start...and I didn't feel mislead or offended. Some people clearly need to chill out.

OP - Congrats on the numbers.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I guess I missed the part where a 2012 Boss isn't considered a 2011-2014 Mustang. It's pretty clear to me that it was a Boss right from the start...and I didn't feel mislead or offended. Some people clearly need to chill out.

The fact the Boss has it's own specific section says otherwise. He can post it here, but it belongs there just as much as here.

01bluesnake

Established Member
OP, I do like the minimal mods you have done to get your car to where it is. I would like to do lightened 3.90's and new clutch a flywheel but just alot of money for it all.

Strange Engineering has the 3.90 gears with the light weight and polishing treatments.

To the OP, you made good power with your car, the thread just started odd. In no way was i trying to be an ass if it came off that way, but just was wondering why you were trying to compare a boss to a gt motor with power gains. Good power non the less though, always loved the CO boss.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Strange Engineering has the 3.90 gears with the light weight and polishing treatments.

To the OP, you made good power with your car, the thread just started odd. In no way was i trying to be an ass if it came off that way, but just was wondering why you were trying to compare a boss to a gt motor with power gains. Good power non the less though, always loved the CO boss.

I remmember you saying that they are a good deal cheaper then jpc's.

EJR

Established Member
I understand the removing rotational weight part of your rwhp search, but the fact is that you are no longer messing with the motor and garnashing more power from the motor itself. You are simply making it easier for the motor to put the power to the ground.

So I would say it's a safe bet that your motor is making no more power than any other Boss with the same mods, except for the fact you cut like 20 lb of rotational mass out of the equation. Still awesome, but kind of misleading.
Ive actually removed right around 75lbs of rotating weight. The Aerospace drag brakes in the back will remove another 10-15 off the rotors.
nevermind the naysayers EJR. keep up the good work. people need to understand there is a lot to be gained in driveline efficiency. I like the fact that you are dynoing in increments to show the gains. really pleased with the fact that the flywheel and clutch gained a good amount of power (since I just did this). I am curious as to what you did in the pumpkin? I have heard of lightening, but not polishing. is it advantageous over the long haul or more of a number of 1/4 miles, repolish and repeat? also, what are you setting your lash to? I assume its loose, like .015+?

I am also interested to see what you have done to get down to 3375...and what you plan to do get to the goal weight?
REM polish. Instead of removing material to get a mirror like finish, its actually along the lines of bead blasting which packs the metal...or so this is what i was told from a shop who does it. That actually makes them stronger in the process. The polish does not go away.. its permanent.
Awesome work and great numbers! Dez is an old friend or as I like to say a mentor to me over the years. He did a lot of work on my old 3v and is one of the best tuners/shops in the country. He has been around for along time and has built some fast cars. You are in great hands with him. :rockon:
Mike is an awesome guy and a good dude to just talk to and he knows his shit. He tunes things very safe as well. Sometimes a little too safe lol... but theres nothing wrong with that. He recently had a mishap with his 5.0... still trying to figure out what may have went wrong.
Congrats on the great numbers!
The Boss engine seems to respond better to exhaust than the GT's.

But in this case Efficiency is the name of the game. JPC took it even further with their Coyote Stock car.
Thanks man. It would appear I offended some of your customers by mentioning your shop. Was not my intention. I simply brought it up because you have proven gains on this platform and was only referencing it to show it wasnt one of the elements I used in making more power. I wouldnt doubt you would be able to pull a few extra hp out of the car. Mike at Dez is an awesome tuner but hes still learning the coyote platform.

Ive followed that car for a while now...quite impressive. I thought about going to a faceplated/REMed tko600... but i dont like either gearing for the street.
Good numbers OP
Thanks

Evans Performance... they did a hell of a job polishing them. And it only cost me 150$ shipped back to me. I actually scored the gears from a friend who owns a local shop. He ran them in his car for one track day and realized they were the wrong gear for the car and took them out the following day. I have no idea who lightened them. All the weight was removed from the ring gear.
+1, also would like to know what you have done to get your Boss down to 3375. What wheels are you running? Also, is that weight with you in it? Do you have a bar/cage in the car?
i have no cage/bar in the car and have no intention of installing one. Ill post a list very shortly of what i have done. And yes its race weight. Not vehicle weight. Its also with minimal fuel in the car as well... so it is subject to change. I have another 150lbs to go before i get it to where i want it.
Nice #s OP, love the way your car sounds! I enjoyed your Boss vs the World video!
Thanks man, appreciate it.
It's not that the site is different. You're just being an obnoxious attention whore and obviously not being received well. I'm on 10+ forums and these guys are being gentle. Just post up your #'s and mods and have an open discussion. Don't use terms like "old school HP knowledge" That's condescending. That phrase implies the fact that you more "experienced" than others. And you may very well be experienced, but to start a thread like this and continue as you've been is just annoying. You're taking a slight different approach to modding your car and that's cool, that's why you bought it. If you want to avoid the common mods that are known to make power and try to make it other ways, that's cool too. But it seems like you want people to be like "omg" and "how'd you do that". I can't imagine any other reason why you would say "I'll post my mods soon, I wanted to see what sort of responses I got first"
Not even gonna bother with this one... You should spend less time thinking about what is said on a forum...

:beer: Thanks. People take forum designation very seriously haha
Those are great numbers!

-Garrett

Thank you sir!

Last edited:

EJR

Established Member
Original Weight: 3550lbs w/ 1/4 tank of gas

Remove Strut Tower Brace: - 8lbs
Remove Washer Resevoir: - 8lbs
Replace rear control arms and pan hard bar: - 7 lbs
Exhaust: - 60lbs
Front End Plastics: - 20lbs
Radiator Support: - 15lbs
Front Bumper support: - 10lbs
Sway Bars: -30 lbs(removed front/link, lighter rear bar)
A Arms: - 12lbs
Driveshaft: - 25lbs
K Member: - 20lbs
Headers/x pipe: - 20lbs
Skinnies: - 60lbs
Trunk: - 10 lbs
Rear Wheels: - 35lbs
Random plastics/liners: - 5lbs
Gears: -5lbs
Clutch Assembly: - 13lbs
Heat Shields/wipers: 7lbs
Battery: -10lbs

Final Weight: 3170 lbs

Rear Drag Brakes: - 20lbs(estimate)
Front Street Brakes: - 65lbs(estimate)
Coil overs: - 15lbs(estimate)
Rear Bumper Support: - 10lbs(estimate)

Total weight: 3060 lbs

Quick little list. I weighed every stock piece VS every aftermarket piece on the same scale. I have a few more things to do before it goes back on the scale.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Ive actually removed right around 75lbs of rotating weight. The Aerospace drag brakes in the back will remove another 10-15 off the rotors.
Yeah, that's considerably more then.

I wasn't trying to come off rude, just stating what I saw.

But I will say, as I failed to before, the car is definitely an excellent performer!

Removing that much rotational mass, even in different areas of the drivetrain, I'm sure helped a ton! Which is often left forgotten by many people, mainly due to the cost that comes with it.

EJR

Established Member
My main intention was to show people what i gained from NOT doing the typical mods to a 5.0 that get the big gains. Was mostly to show what doing the little/expensive things to them gained. But i suppose i approached it wrong. And thanks for the compliment. Once I head to the shop, ill bring my flash drive and grab a few of my charts for you guys to show mod for mod gains

poof100

Established Member
Original Weight: 3550lbs w/ 1/4 tank of gas

Remove Strut Tower Brace: - 8lbs
Remove Washer Resevoir: - 8lbs
Replace rear control arms and pan hard bar: - 7 lbs
Exhaust: - 60lbs
Front End Plastics: - 20lbs
Radiator Support: - 15lbs
Front Bumper support: - 10lbs
Sway Bars: -30 lbs(removed front/link, lighter rear bar)
A Arms: - 12lbs
Driveshaft: - 25lbs
K Member: - 20lbs
Headers/x pipe: - 20lbs
Skinnies: - 60lbs
Trunk: - 10 lbs
Rear Wheels: - 35lbs
Random plastics/liners: - 5lbs
Gears: -5lbs
Clutch Assembly: - 13lbs
Heat Shields/wipers: 7lbs
Battery: -10lbs

Final Weight: 3170 lbs

Rear Drag Brakes: - 20lbs(estimate)
Front Street Brakes: - 65lbs(estimate)
Coil overs: - 15lbs(estimate)
Rear Bumper Support: - 10lbs(estimate)

Total weight: 3060 lbs

Quick little list. I weighed every stock piece VS every aftermarket piece on the same scale. I have a few more things to do before it goes back on the scale.

Thanks for the details. I wish my Boss was this light, it's nowhere close and have most of the weight savings items, minus the drag brakes. I do have to run more fuel though with the Turbo, but still.

Looks good though and nice #s. Definitely like to see what it does at the track.

Shaun@AED

Thanks man. It would appear I offended some of your customers by mentioning your shop. Was not my intention. I simply brought it up because you have proven gains on this platform and was only referencing it to show it wasnt one of the elements I used in making more power. I wouldnt doubt you would be able to pull a few extra hp out of the car. Mike at Dez is an awesome tuner but hes still learning the coyote platform.

I was not offended.
There are MANY high quality tuners out there with vast years of experience and knowledge. Most don't do tuning by email. These guys are my colleagues and I wish them nothing but success.

pufferfish

Established Member
just want to throw in that after discussing with Taylor Race Engineering getting the REM Isotropic Finish done to my gears, that lightening may not be a good way to go for most folks, including myself. The integrity is compromised, which shortens the lifespan by 400%. its a 1/4 mile thing and I am a road racer.

but many thanks for posting about the polishing! its totally worth the $150!

EJR

Established Member
just want to throw in that after discussing with Taylor Race Engineering getting the REM Isotropic Finish done to my gears, that lightening may not be a good way to go for most folks, including myself. The integrity is compromised, which shortens the lifespan by 400%. its a 1/4 mile thing and I am a road racer.

but many thanks for posting about the polishing! its totally worth the $150!

Local friend has been cutting 1.4X 60 fts out of his stick car with lightened 4.56 8.8 gears for about 10 years now.

steveofiveo

Established Member
Nice

CONGRATS !!!

my factory stock race buddies reduce drag from drivetrain to gain RWHP all the time. If you cant make any more power there are other ways of getting it to the ground. It gets expensive though.

S

offroad x pipe
custom made 3 inch exhaust with bassani mufflers
c&l air intake
Tuned (consists of retarding the cams 4 degrees and adding a few degrees of timing/no tq managements)
Meziere EWP
aluminium driveshaft
mcleod rst/aluminium flywheel
3.90 REM polished/lightened gears with shockproof gear oil
race wheels (275/60/15)

Thats everything that would effect HP. The goal is 480whp...still on 93 octane and no CJ intake setup[/QUOTE]

Users who are viewing this thread