5 New Jersey Fifth Graders arrested for planning to detonate explosives in a school

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
The entire fiasco has me wondering and scratching my melon. If this "threat" was/is as serious as the government claims, why are the kids (according to the linked article when read this morning) released into the custody of their parental units?

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
They're suspended from school. Now they can sit home all day and strategize on COD and BF.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Hrm, in 5th grade I had already figured out how to modify a piccolo pete to explode. I'm sure if I brought that into school back then id be left with maybe a day of in-school suspension, but nowadays its expulsion and criminal intent.

I HIGHLY doubt 5th graders have the capability to manufacture and produce "explosives" that do any more than blow a GI Joe in half. A formulated plan? What, they drew boxes that represented buildings and red crayon in places they would strategically place charges, using their extensive structural engineering backgrounds, to do the most damage. Im sure thats exactly what they drew......

oldmodman

Established Member
Today, everything that my friends and I did for fun when we were ten is now a matter of National Security and we would all be jailed and expelled.

And it was all a result of all our parents telling us "It's a nice day. Go outside and play"

Planter

Banned
They're suspended from school. Now they can sit home all day and strategize on COD and BF.

i know right?

sure, lets give them a vacation so they can have fun and inhibit their education and progress. lot of good that does.

that never made any sense to me when i was in primary education. i hated in school detention much more than suspension.

jbs$

Established Member
I don't know man. I think we all knew better than to create a plan to kill other children. I don't think these kids should serve serious time but they should be punished and mentally evaluated. I also think their parents have some accountability here as well.

I strongly suggest that you hold a photo of a average class of fifth graders, look at yourself in a mirror, and read your above paragraph, out loud, to yourself. If every young child were subjected to legal punishment for some wild, even inappropriate, flight of imagination, what a poor and out of control society we have become.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
I strongly suggest that you hold a photo of a average class of fifth graders, look at yourself in a mirror, and read your above paragraph, out loud, to yourself. If every young child were subjected to legal punishment for some wild, even inappropriate, flight of imagination, what a poor and out of control society we have become.

I strongly suggest you reread my post.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member

Andrew Golden, 11, and Mitchell Johnson, 13, were responsible for killing four students and one teacher and wounding 10 others at Westside Middle School in Jonesboro, Arkansas on March 24, 1998.

The incident became known worldwide as the Westside Middle School Massacre.

Golden and Johnson had carefully planned the attack. On the morning of the shooting, the boys snuck into Andrew’s grandparent’s house and stole several guns and ammo from his grandfather’s collection and loaded their weaponry into Mitchell’s parents’ minivan. Mitchell was marked absent from school that day, but Andrew attended so that he could pull the fire alarm and meet up with Mitchell in the woods to prepare for their ambush. As soon as students and teachers started filing out of the school for the fire drill, the boys started the shooting spree. Police captured the boys in the woods and took them into custody.

But why should we worry, there is NO way young boys could actually plan and execute a REAL massacre.......Right?

:nonono:

Kiohtee

Established Member
A lot of people don't realize that the fifth graders of today were the ninth graders of yesteryear.

tallfreak

Just a newb
Established Member
This. These kids need an ass whooping they will never forget.

Hitting children doesn't work. It only teaches them violence. You send them to their room to think about what they did. You're supposed to be a friend first before a parent. Don't you know that?

That was sarcasm just in case you didn't catch it.

I agree that a lot of the problems in today's society is that parents stopped being parents and started being friends.

A lot of you think that 5th graders don't have the knowledge and resources to follow through with a plan like this, but a lot of you didn't have the internet when you were kids. If they want to know how to use a gun or make explosives, they have access to that information 24/7. Kids are growing up faster than ever.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
This sounds like over reaching to me. Like they were talking up some weak baking soda vinegar "bomb." In 7th grade my friends were making Clorox and aluminum foil bombs, no doubt someone joked about blowing up a bathroom toilet or teachers desk.

The very idea that kids, indulging in make believe roll play, with out any means or possibly of actually carrying out their wild scheme, are charged with anything, now, that is the crime. Are there no longer any adults in our World?

I stand by my statement. Where in modern society are the Adults exercising Adult judgement over issues great and small? It is a sick and irresponsible society that criminalizes childhood behavior.

I'm with you. Apparently the adults charging these kids aren't aware that an empty mini Altoids tin containing vegetable oil, salad dressing and cinnamon sticks isn't explosive or dangerous. Now they want to give these kids a record for exercising poor juvenile judgement. Its embarrassing what they're trying to do to them. Many kids don't even understand the ramifications of doing these kind of things and people want to treat them as if they thought this out like adults.

jbs$

Established Member
As we know from clock boy schools have to treat every threat as a legitimate threat.

They do so as to avoid all and any responsibility for having to make any adult decisions. Better to rune a child's life than to actually get involved and resolve a simple issue.

Lemers

Established Member
5 New Jersey Fifth Graders arrested for planning to detonate explosives in a ...

Our criminal and civil legal system has forced these kind of policies.

When someone with an ethnic background brings a "suitcase clock" to school people call racism.

So if this school didn't call the police for any threat real or imagined then again racism will be brought up.

It's to the point if the authorities / school administration act in anyway that could be perceived as discriminative they can be held criminally and civilly liable.

The individual gets to sue for discrimination. And the DOJ Gets to press federal criminal charges of civil liberties violations.

So, the system that we have created in some ways is becoming a runway train and once anyone steps out of line there is no getting off. Because everyone down the line "must act" according to policy or face litigation themselves.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm with you. Apparently the adults charging these kids aren't aware that an empty mini Altoids tin containing vegetable oil, salad dressing and cinnamon sticks isn't explosive or dangerous. Now they want to give these kids a record for exercising poor juvenile judgement. Its embarrassing what they're trying to do to them. Many kids don't even understand the ramifications of doing these kind of things and people want to treat them as if they thought this out like adults.

And that is in large part because nowadays parents (A) don't get actively involved in their children's lives and actively teach/instruct right from wrong, (B) are reluctant to discipline their children for fear of breaking the law or not being PC, (C) don't hold their kids accountable for making bad choices. JMO.

Users who are viewing this thread