98 Cobra dedicated track build thread

tistan

Established Member
Shifter showed up this morning. Picked up a cheap pro 50, this one has the stock handle with some nice bushings to make it fit perfectly. I am not crazy about how tall it is so I ordered a Pro 50 handle from eBay for cheap.

View attachment 1487150Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Hit 26k miles on it today as well. She's getting up there.

View attachment 1487151Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Wrenched on the 85 a bit and took it out for a cruise today. All in all it was a good day.

View attachment 1487152Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Back when I had my sn95, I used a pro 5.0 base, and I welded the stock shifter holes. I then drilled them to make the stock shifter shorter and lean back closer to the driver. It worked out great, it was comfortable and I could still powershift at the track.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Are those FRPP Cobra Rs?

Cobra R reps from LMR.com

most likely they are reproductions of the 1995 Cobra R wheels...

^ this.

Back when I had my sn95, I used a pro 5.0 base, and I welded the stock shifter holes. I then drilled them to make the stock shifter shorter and lean back closer to the driver. It worked out great, it was comfortable and I could still powershift at the track.

I have a short pro 5.0 handle on there now. I have the seat in a position where its a good fit.

wkornf

Established Member
how is the on center feel for steering while on track and road? I always hear it's loose and unsettling even with the cobra rack but maybe a bit better than GT rack.

by the way nice track footage, looked like a good time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
how is the on center feel for steering while on track and road? I always hear it's loose and unsettling even with the cobra rack but maybe a bit better than GT rack.

by the way nice track footage, looked like a good time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The car feels like a million bucks honestly. For a stock car all around, I am super happy with it. I have no other 94-98 to compare it to. Not much different than my 03 Mach I had.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Got my new steering wheel on, loving the way it feels!

42456284142_23c6cd6e11_k.jpg
Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

I purchased this a few weeks ago but just got around to taking a pic of it now. Airbag delete.

40699676010_a35a01b656_k.jpg

I also wanted to clean up the dash a bit, so I bought a big sheet of the same material that was used on the airbag delete with the same texture. I ended up just cutting out two rectangles for the radio deletes.

42456284222_73a2667732_k.jpg

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
I was able to get out into the 100 degree heat today and do some work. It sucks having the 85 in the garage because there is no room to work in there now that I have AC in the garage lol.

Anyhow, I purchased some Baer drilled and slotted rotors for the 85 but figured they would be better off on the 98. So when I got the brakes off the car... lets just say im glad I changed them when I did.

42475170332_6d00d9a706_k.jpg

All buttoned up!

41624453665_b0f60b1e39_k.jpg

I went with Hawk race pads and they ended up feeling strange when I was bedding them in. Felt like it would pull to one side... I found out why.

41624453955_9b493e8736_k.jpg

When I took the pad off I found that it was thicker on the bottom than the top causing it to only bite in the center of the rotor.

I took it off and hit it with the sander to even it off but it wasn't perfect so im hoping that it will end up evening it self out.

On a positive note my Simpson Head and Neck restraint came in!!

28653344908_9031f39a4b_k.jpg

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Had a pretty good weekend! Went out to a track that I don't have much experience on and gave it hell! Initial thoughts were that the car has much more dive in the front with the new pads and rotors. Because of this the rear end is walking around on me. Took me a bit to get use to it however still isn't feeling 100% right.

I signed up for UMS time attack and ended up getting 4th in my class. First place car was a brand new Camaro ZL1, and behind him was a race prepped NSX. My class was basically anyone who didn't have a dyno sheet and hasn't been weighed. (Time attack classes you by HP/Weight ratio only).

Anyhow I treated myself.... I picked up a AIM Solo2 lap timer. This model has lap predictability so it will tell you if you are on pace to beat your best or previous lap.

Next thing I treated myself with was........

Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

This ole thing!! A while back I posted on Facebook a WTB ad and I got a message from a guy stating he had an IRS for $500. After discussing details, its out of an 03 so it has the 31 spline half shafts. Has 100k miles on it and the stock 3:55 gears. Upgraded rear diff brace and diff bushings about 10k miles ago. Bilstein shocks, stock springs, ABS sensors, all brackets. I also got a magnaflow cat back with it. Everything is a bit dirty but for the money, I can't complain one bit.

I thought getting this thing out of my truck was going to be a royal pain however I picked up a tool cart from Harbor Freight and it was the same height as my truck. slid it right onto this cart and wheeled it into the garage and fired up the AC unit.

I was really debating how deep I want to get into this thing.... you all know me though.... I decided to tear it all down!

The heat really plays hell on all these bushings.

Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

I got a pretty good start to tearing it down today.

I will end up working on taking the diff out this week at some point.

These are the newer bushings however Im debating on changing these as well...

And as always an organized work place is a happy work place.

So I am currently looking into FTBR bushing kit and the MM bushing kit. Only difference I see between the two is the bushings that the cradle mounts to the body with. Looks like MM uses prothane bushings and the FTBR is derlin solid bushings.

Price is about the same but I can get a better deal on the MM stuff. Thoughts? anyone?

Another thing I am debating is a rear diff fluid cooler.. they are pricey but from what I hear very necessary!

Can anyone make any other suggestions on things I should look at? remember this won't be a super high HP car... I just want it to be planted!

01performanceredvertsnake

Established Member
Had a pretty good weekend! Went out to a track that I don't have much experience on and gave it hell! Initial thoughts were that the car has much more dive in the front with the new pads and rotors. Because of this the rear end is walking around on me. Took me a bit to get use to it however still isn't feeling 100% right.

I signed up for UMS time attack and ended up getting 4th in my class. First place car was a brand new Camaro ZL1, and behind him was a race prepped NSX. My class was basically anyone who didn't have a dyno sheet and hasn't been weighed. (Time attack classes you by HP/Weight ratio only).

Anyhow I treated myself.... I picked up a AIM Solo2 lap timer. This model has lap predictability so it will tell you if you are on pace to beat your best or previous lap.

This ole thing!! A while back I posted on Facebook a WTB ad and I got a message from a guy stating he had an IRS for $500. After discussing details, its out of an 03 so it has the 31 spline half shafts. Has 100k miles on it and the stock 3:55 gears. Upgraded rear diff brace and diff bushings about 10k miles ago. Bilstein shocks, stock springs, ABS sensors, all brackets. I also got a magnaflow cat back with it. Everything is a bit dirty but for the money, I can't complain one bit.

I thought getting this thing out of my truck was going to be a royal pain however I picked up a tool cart from Harbor Freight and it was the same height as my truck. slid it right onto this cart and wheeled it into the garage and fired up the AC unit.

I was really debating how deep I want to get into this thing.... you all know me though.... I decided to tear it all down!

Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

So I am currently looking into FTBR bushing kit and the MM bushing kit. Only difference I see between the two is the bushings that the cradle mounts to the body with. Looks like MM uses prothane bushings and the FTBR is derlin solid bushings.

Price is about the same but I can get a better deal on the MM stuff. Thoughts? anyone?

Another thing I am debating is a rear diff fluid cooler.. they are pricey but from what I hear very necessary!

Can anyone make any other suggestions on things I should look at? remember this won't be a super high HP car... I just want it to be planted!

FTBR is the only bushing I’m putting in my 01 and it’s a daily

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Established Member

Established Member

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
You are a dick...
Kidding , but I have been trying to get another irs since I sold my 91 modfox notch .
Every one I find on the west coast is way over priced, and needs rebuilt .
So what class will you be running in , with that irs?
I am looking at building my 84 Gt t top for CAM , as it is a pretty opennxlass as far as modifications go , but requires a finished interior and street legal as far as registration and insurance .
I like driving to events , in my car , not towing with my truck .

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
You are a dick...
Kidding , but I have been trying to get another irs since I sold my 91 modfox notch .
Every one I find on the west coast is way over priced, and needs rebuilt .
So what class will you be running in , with that irs?
I am looking at building my 84 Gt t top for CAM , as it is a pretty opennxlass as far as modifications go , but requires a finished interior and street legal as far as registration and insurance .
I like driving to events , in my car , not towing with my truck .

I lucked out for sure on this setup.

I am running TA-B and will eventually run TT with NASA. I would be disqualified from CMC or AI however we don't run either of those here in AZ.

Driving to events wouldn't be bad but I prefer to be prepared in the event of a disaster I could still get my pile home if anything happens.

Users who are viewing this thread