Aeroforce Interceptors owners beware!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-D

'03 10th Anniv. Cobra Cpe
Established Member
for some dumb reason you have to unplug the sensors inputs on these gauges because they lose their ground I guess, so everytime I datalog I make a habit of disconnecting the sensors on back of the gauges first and then disconnect the OBDII connector

This ^ is the third rendition of procedures needed to do before running car w/o Aeroforce OBD plug is disconnected.

So you simply disconnect the analog connectors at the back of the gauge(s) before pulling the Aeroforce OBD2 plug? Don't have to pull fuses or disconnect sensor connections @ sensors themselves?

Also- Anyone on my voltage input question on the Aeroforce MAP 3.5bar (12v verses 5v).

DD

04Ryan

Established Member
Yes the Aeroforce 3.5 bar MAP sensor is 12V...my GM 3 bar MAP was 5V. The wideband will work without anything hooked up to it's 5V analog output wire. The GM map sensors are known to blow if they receive 5V input power and don't have a PCM (as in the case of a GM vehicle) or a gauge to read the 5V output. I don't know why...I just know I hooked up 5V and a ground to my GM MAP sensor and without wiring anything to the output it blew it up. The wideband I never had that problem...

On my setup I tee'd into the output wires from both my wideband and GM MAP sensors...this went to the gauges and to my XCal analog input cable I used to datalog. At the track I would unplug the OBDII connector and plug my XCal in...then I'd plug my analog input cable into my XCal and start the car and datalog away. Never had an issue for almost 2 years this way. Hope that clears some of the confusion up!

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
My Secondary gauge almost always needs a button push to power it up. ANNOYING!

Okay I had to datalog my car for Justin at VMP so we could check the tune and I had a few tune revision requests.

I have the Aeroforce Interceptor single gauge and the Aeroforce Wideband gauge wired into the gauge.

I assumed since the WB controller has it's own separate ground and switch power, I figured it would be fine to just unplug the 16 pin connector. So I could connect my SCT x3 then to laptop to use SCTs Livelink datalogging software.

Well after making my datalog I connected my Aeroforce gauge again and noticed that my A/F read was 13.2 at idle and it was stuck there. I'm thinking WTF?? All the Wideband controller does is send a 0-5v signal to the Aeroforce gauge, so I figured it would be fine.

There are no Bosch LSU 4.9 Wideband o2 sensors available locally, so I had to order one. Got it from OxygenSensor.Net home page received in 3 days, which is great considering this time of year and the price was great 69.98 plus shipping. Here is the exact link for the Bosch LSU 4.9 (part number 17025) Bosch 17025

You can not use a Bosch LSU 4.2 sensor, which is what most kits use. The circuitry and design of the Aeroforce Wideband kit will not work with the LSU 4.2. I did a lot of research on the differences between the LSU 4.9 and LSU 4.2 sensors. There are some major differences between the two. I figured I would try since Advance and Oreily's has the LSU 4.2 for around 50 bucks.

I contacted Aeroforce, no phone number, I sent several emails and waited. No response, so I called Lethal Performance. This is where I purchased both kits. As soon as Lethal called them I received an email right after Lethal called Aeroforce. Confirmed that you can only use the Bosch LSU 4.9.

The tech at Aeroforce emailed my back and said that I was right about the WB controller, it shouldn't have matter if the Aeroforce gauge was plugged in or not. Well it does matter!

After installing a new sensor all is well.

By the way Aeroforces' customer service sucks! You would think they would be willing to send me a sensor, if I had emailed them that question before I logged they would have told me it would be fine to just unplug the gauge and datalog.

So everyone beware if you datalog and have an Aeroforce gauge with the Aeroforce wideband, remove the sensor from the exhaust bung. I love their stuff, but after this I will never buy anything from them again. I was considering getting the dual gauge setup, but not anymore. Hopefully someone will better customer service will come out with a similar product around the same price.

So there must be something that the Aeroforce Intercepter gauge signals to the WB controller, because the sensor was done.

Just wanted to vent and give anyone who has this setup a heads up before you datalog.

Thanks and have a great Christmas.

I just stumbled across this, coming in late in my defense. Can you at least be truthful about the facts here? Your first email was sent Monday morning, Dec 19th. My first reply to you was Monday at 12:11pm, 3 hours later. Please don't make statements about our customer service that aren't true. You're implying that days went by. Since then I roughly counted at least 11 more responses to your emails and have spoken to you over the phone at least 2 other times over this. All in a very timely manner (same day).

You failed to mention that you drove the car 50 miles without the gauge connected. You have used the product in a way that is outside of it's design. We did not test it for this situation. I have disconnected the gauge with wideband powered countless times with no issues, I have not driven the car for 20, 30, 40 , 50+ miles this way though. The devices are designed to be connected, why would I do this? I'm curious as to what may have happened during this time, but it's not a product failure. This is one of thousands of reasons why we, Innovate, Dynojet, etc DO NOT warranty the sensor, at all, not even for a day! No one one does. There are countless ways of damaging it that we cannot control. The sensor has a lifespan, and it can be short depending on how it's used.

I told you where to go to get a replacement for the cheapest price I knew of, saving you about $15 over what we could sell you one for.

This is really disappointing seeing a post like this.

Todd

Last edited:
Wow we need everyone on the same page with these. I get different answers from Lethal and finally got emailed back from Aeroforce. Lethal says its fine to unplug the Odb2 but Aeroforce says not to unless I disconnect power from the sensors 1st. Crazy. Almost $700 for gauges and sensors and can't get straight answers!!!!!! Anyone know if the 3.5 bar boost sensor needs 5v power and what about the wideband. 5v for that 2????

You asked me this in a PM, and I said that the 3.5 bar MAP and A/F kit would be fine if unplugged to jump start your car. I said the exception was the oil/fp sensor.

3.5 bar needs 12v, w/b 12v. It's all described in the instructions.

Todd

Last edited:
The 3.5 bar MAP needs 12v as stated in the instructions.

Like the GM 3 bar MAPS, the oil/fp sensor we use need to see a high impedance load or the output amplifier fails. When the Aeroforce gauge is unplugged and loses ground the input load is reduced. These sensors are used in many applications, both automotive and otherwise, and are very reliable but this situation was not in mind when they chose the output amplifier I'm sure. I've looked and am still looking for other options but have not found one that doesn't cost at least 50% more.

Todd

Some of you are brutal. We've sold thousands of these kits and gauges to Mustangs since 2005, the happy customers don't usually post their experience. One guy having a sensor failure due to extraordinary circumstances doesn't define a company, and the title of this thread really isn't fair/accurate. We strive to make sure everyone gets the product as advertised and will take care of any issues that are caused by a manufacturing flaw. I am not aware of anyone that has not received this treatment.

Todd

1. And is the reason I used a LC-1 as the sensors are always available at the local parts store. I haven't needed one since install, including running a leaded octane mix.

Not to mention the 2nd gauge build quality is crap compared to their 1st gen. 2 dimensional faced units. The display is absoulute garbage and the unit feels cheaper in your hand than the originals. Funny how it costs the same, won't turn on, feels cheaper, doesn't come with the full instructions anymore etc. Wonder if the orginal co. was sold to the current owner?

You may want to do a google search on "brand x/model reliability" and see if the grass is really greener over there.

Your the first who doesn't seem to appreciate the improvements we made to the hardware back in 2009. We've had nothing but positive reviews until I read this. Virtually every component has a higher cost now than before, and you have the ability to customize the gauge yourself due to interchangable parts.

I can't comment much regarding your situation (turning on/off). Did you buy a "second" gauge, depending on your year the main and second gauges are not the same. You're also mixing two different generations, and they may not be totally compatible. Another extraordinary situation.

We only offered a full user manual for maybe 3 months when we first offered these for sale. The features are constantly changing, the vehicles are constantly changing, and our coverage is constantly changing. It's impossible to include the latest manual so we provide a quick start and have the full online, just like Diablosport, SCT, etc.

Todd

Last edited:
Sir, I have the entire string of emails saved from that day, the 19th. I responded to your first email within 3 hours. I responded to your second within 11 minutes that same day. If you want me to post them I can oblige. The emails continued every day through the 28th. It also should be mentioned that your entire w/b kit was over a year old. I just can't warranty everything forever. Anyone who would do that would not be in business long.

Todd

TVSCobra

Established Member
My point was I was told that it was okay to disconnect the gauge and datalog, then the sensor goes out. So you and your company would have damaged the sensor anyway.

TVSCobra

Established Member
Sir, I have the entire string of emails saved from that day, the 19th. I responded to your first email within 3 hours. I responded to your second within 11 minutes that same day. If you want me to post them I can oblige. The emails continued every day through the 28th. It also should be mentioned that your entire w/b kit was over a year old. I just can't warranty everything forever. Anyone who would do that would not be in business long.

Todd

Post them if you want, then I'll post mine.

They will show it took over 3 days for someone to contact me, if you responsed so quickly then why did I have to call Lethal Performance for them to contact you?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Post them if you want, then I'll post mine.

They will show it took over 3 days for someone to contact me, if you responsed so quickly then why did I have to call Lethal Performance for them to contact you?

:read:

TVSCobra

Established Member
I asked Todd from Aeroforce about an issue that I have had with the ann. function from day one, the P1 or P2 monitor doesn't work. I was told to send it in, I was okay with that but requested a temp replacement so I would have something to monitor my car while my unit was sent in for service.

I was told that they wouldn't do that, so I give gave up and just used P1 only.

Anyway I asked Todd again about this, his response via email:

"Tip #1: Post an accurate re-statement of your situation on SVT Performance. I've put way too much into this company to have one person with an agenda try to ruin my main business base with exaggerations and false statements."

This was regarding the original post in this thread. Here is the original post, does this post sound inaccurate, false, or exaggerated? I was simply sharing what happened to me and wanted to warn other users so they would not damage their sensors.
Here is my original post:

"Okay I had to datalog my car for Justin at VMP so we could check the tune and I had a few tune revision requests.

I have the Aeroforce Interceptor single gauge and the Aeroforce Wideband gauge wired into the gauge.

I assumed since the WB controller has it's own separate ground and switch power, I figured it would be fine to just unplug the 16 pin connector. So I could connect my SCT x3 then to laptop to use SCTs Livelink datalogging software.

Well after making my datalog I connected my Aeroforce gauge again and noticed that my A/F read was 13.2 at idle and it was stuck there. I'm thinking WTF?? All the Wideband controller does is send a 0-5v signal to the Aeroforce gauge, so I figured it would be fine.

There are no Bosch LSU 4.9 Wideband o2 sensors available locally, so I had to order one. Got it from OxygenSensor.Net home page received in 3 days, which is great considering this time of year and the price was great 69.98 plus shipping. Here is the exact link for the Bosch LSU 4.9 (part number 17025) Bosch 17025

You can not use a Bosch LSU 4.2 sensor, which is what most kits use. The circuitry and design of the Aeroforce Wideband kit will not work with the LSU 4.2. I did a lot of research on the differences between the LSU 4.9 and LSU 4.2 sensors. There are some major differences between the two. I figured I would try since Advance and Oreily's has the LSU 4.2 for around 50 bucks.

I contacted Aeroforce, no phone number, I sent several emails and waited. No response, so I called Lethal Performance. This is where I purchased both kits. As soon as Lethal called them I received an email right after Lethal called Aeroforce. Confirmed that you can only use the Bosch LSU 4.9.

The tech at Aeroforce emailed my back and said that I was right about the WB controller, it shouldn't have matter if the Aeroforce gauge was plugged in or not. Well it does matter!

After installing a new sensor all is well.

By the way Aeroforces' customer service sucks! You would think they would be willing to send me a sensor, if I had emailed them that question before I logged they would have told me it would be fine to just unplug the gauge and datalog.

So everyone beware if you datalog and have an Aeroforce gauge with the Aeroforce wideband, remove the sensor from the exhaust bung. I love their stuff, but after this I will never buy anything from them again. I was considering getting the dual gauge setup, but not anymore. Hopefully someone with better customer service will come out with a similar product around the same price.

So there must be something that the Aeroforce Intercepter gauge signals to the WB controller, because the sensor was done.

Just wanted to vent and give anyone who has this setup a heads up before they datalog.Thanks and have a great Christmas.”

How is that inaccurate, exaggerated, or false?

I have no agenda, I was just wanting to warn other members of potential problems and didn't want what happened to me to happen to anyone else.

Now to the emails:
I first emailed them (sales and tech) Dec 19, about the issue, I didn't receive a response from until Dec 20 and that email was not from Todd. Todd didn't get involved until after I called Lethal Performance where I purchased both the Interceptor gauge and the Wideband kit. Todd's first reply to my emails and issue was on Dec 23.

So Todd it was not you that responded to my first email within 3 hours.

I still have no explaination why the sensor when bad with the Interceptor gauge disconnected to datalog. The Wideband kit has it's own switched power and ground. The output wire from the Wideband controller only sends a 0-5v signal to the gauge, so in theory the sensor should have been heated and not been damaged. I tried performing a calibrated after letting the car sit overnight, still read 13.2 to 13.8. I also tried a free-air calibrated with the sensor removed from the exhaust. Still read the same. So the sensor was done. Also I was told I should be ok to datalog with the gauge (interceptor) disconnected from the 16 pin and the sensor would be fine. Well it wasn't.

TVSCobra

Established Member
I have emailed Todd, sent him a PM, and texted him. I would like to solve this in a nice manner.

I never had an intention of giving false information, exaggerations, or an agenda against Aeroforce.

I simply shared what happened and my experience with Aeroforce. What I posted was facts, not opinions.

Last edited:
Since I have your permission to post our private email conversation:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2011 1:46 PM
Subject: RE: Bosch LSU 4.9 Sensor

I ordered the 4.9 from that site. Thanks.

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 09:29:16 -0800
Subject: Re: Bosch LSU 4.9 Sensor

I don't think so, our controller is made specifically for the 4.9. You'd have to ask Bosch this but I think it's doubtful. I don't have any experience with the older 4.2.

Todd
Aeroforce

Sent: Monday, December 19, 2011 12:18 PM
Subject: RE: Bosch LSU 4.9 Sensor

Can I use the LSU 4.2 temporally sine I can get locally for 40 bucks. I spoke to Matt at Lethal Performance and he called you guys. Just want to make sure it would be okay to use the LSU 4.2 to get by until I can order the LSU 4.9. I did some research and it seems there are some small differences between the sensors. Anyway can I use the LSu 4.2 to get me by?

Thanks
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 09:11:40 -0800
Subject: Re: Bosch LSU 4.9 Sensor

Go to OxygenSensor.Net home page and look for the Bosch 17025 LSU4.9 sensor. That's probably the cheapest place to buy.

Todd
Aeroforce

Sent: Monday, December 19, 2011 8:16 AM
Subject: Bosch LSU 4.9 Sensor

Is it possible to just sale me the sensor? Bosch LSU 4.9.
I have your Intercepter and the Wideband kit and it seems my sensor is faulty.
I'm sure I purchased it over a year ago, so I doubt there is any warranty.

Thanks

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Note times may be confusing since they are EST and PST. There were numerous more between the 20th and 23rd before Lethal called and said you were not getting any response from us and wanted a new sensor. Funny thing is all seemed cordial to me, I had no idea at the time you were trying to dismantle my company while I was trying to help you over this relatively minor/non-warranty issue.

Thank you for giving me the same consideration before publicly posting my private email conversation with you:nono:

Where are the false statements/exaggerations? How about stating over and over again about how our customer service "sucks" because we don't return your calls or emails when in fact we've been very responsive. We did not tell you to drive around for 50 miles without the gauge connected. I did not know you did this until after you bought another sensor. You're original sensor *may* not be trashed, but you turned everybody off so quickly that works here with your accusations and complaints to our vendors that it was difficult to work with you. Calling Lethal and telling them we are not responding to your emails after both Pat (my tech) and I had already sent you numerous responses showed real (no) class. Same with the post here. What service have you done anyone by trying to convince them that our service sucks and we lie to our customers when in fact none of that actually happened?

It appears that the issue was that you wanted a free replacement sensor after owning the kit for over a year, and ANYTHING else we said or did was not going to appease you, so your response was to tell Lethal and this forum that we were doing NOTHING for you including responding to your emails/phone calls which couldn't be further from the truth.

This thing about the annunciator, I have not idea what this about, but I'm sure we agreed to check it out for you and correct the situation if needed. We do this for everyone. If you choose not to do this, or (and I'm not surprised) demanded some sort of unreasonable request that could not be honored then that is your decision. My power supply went out on my tv last month and I had to send it in for warranty service. I did not demand a replacement loaner during this time and then go trash the company once they (or course) refused. Shit sometimes happens and responsible companies honor their warranties. That's how it works. That's what we do.

TVSCobra

Established Member
Well Todd you never replied to my emails after I sent you last night. I send you emails, tried to call you and sent you text messages and you never returned any of them.

So I figured this would get your attention. As I have said many times in this thread, in emails, and text messages. I wished to settle this matter in a nice manner and find a solution. I know you got my emails and text messages. You chose not to reply to them.

AND YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE DOES SUCK! I AM NOT THEY ONLY PERSON WHO FEELS THAT WAY ABOUT YOUR COMPANY! DO SOME RESEARCH.

Tell you what go to google and search your company and see what you dig up. You guy make a good product but fall short in the customer service department.

Now Im going to post my emails:

Tip #1: Post an accurate re-statement of your situation on SVT Performance. I've put way too much into this company to have one person with an agenda try to ruin my main business base with exaggerations and false statements.

Aeroforce Technology Inc.
Todd Austinson
President
(440) 666-5755

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: Aeroforce Tech. Inc. <[email protected]>
Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2012 9:54 PM
Subject: Re: issue

Todd,

I’m having issues with the ann. function, I select P1 or P2, select charge temp and put in 0125.0(above) and RPM 6100.0 (above) only the P1 works.
Any tips?

Thanks

Jared

Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:40 PM
To: Jared Grant

Should have them Friday, will let you know then. Thanks.

Todd Austinson
President
(440) 666-5755

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: Aeroforce Tech. Inc. <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:35 PM
Subject: RE: issue

I let the senor heat up for 45 seconds then held the reset buttion for 8 seconds, released then pressed again for 3 seconds. The A/F reading are back where they should be at idle. Thanks. I think I had some exhaust fumes that through off the calibration last time.

Let me know when I can purchase a back up WB controller.

Thanks for the tips.

-Jared Grant

Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 13:32:54 -0800

Read my last email and if it doesn't work let me know and I'll call. Once readings look good don't do calibrations unless your readings have drifted. I have two of these in our cars and have not done a cal. in 2 years. The 4.9 sensors are very stable unless running leaded gas or rarely drive the car, like less than 1k/year.

Todd Austinson
President
(440) 666-5755

To: Aeroforce Tech. Inc. <[email protected]>; "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2012 1:44 PM
Subject: issue

I did a free air calibration, now my cruise A/F is 14.0-13.2 before that it was ready fine 14.6-15.0. slope and intercept are correct.

Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 13:27:29 -0800
Subject: Re: Sensor for wideband

Jared,

I'm going to take on this issue from now on, so you can just respond to me. No one has ever told that this has happened to them, could you point me to a forum post or something where I can read about it?

I have these on a couple of our developmental cars, not to mention employees daily drivers, and the gauges are unplugged or removed frequently to be updated and the car is driven with the widebands powered. I've never seen this and we've been using these for 3 years.

If you've discovered something I'd like to investigate more. The only connection between the gauge and controller is the output of the controller. I cannot fathom as to what the controller would do to effect the sensor if the gauge was not powered/grounded. It just doesn't make sense at the moment.

Todd Austinson
President
(440) 666-5755

To: sales <[email protected]>
Cc: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, December 23, 2011 11:50 AM
Subject: Fw: Sensor for wideband

----- Forwarded Message -----
To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, December 23, 2011 9:03 AM
Subject: RE: Sensor for wideband

Did you drive the car with intercepter gauge unplugged or did you just unplug it and then plug back in?

You have to drive the car with the gauge unplugged to duplicate the issue. Replacing the sensor fixed the issue by the way.

I researched this and others had to replace their sensor after disconneting the gauge to datalog.

I'm not the only one this has happened to.

Really you are willing to lose a customer and future customers over a sensor?

Try unplugging the Aerforce Interceptor and drive the car for awhile (50 mile or so). Then plug it back in and see what your A/F reading are. I'm willing to bet that it damages the Wideband sensor.

Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 05:23:03 -0800

I cant duplicate the problem here. I've unplugged my interceptor repeatedly and the O2 system continues to work. Therefore I cant replace the sensor.

To: aeroforce tech <[email protected]>; [email protected]
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2011 10:59 PM

Do I need to call Lethal again so they can call you guys?? To get a response?? I’m sorry but your Customer Service is garbage at this point, if I don’t here from you guys soon, I will never purchase anything from you guys again. I was considering purchasing a dual kit for my car (upgrade from the single kit), a dual kit for my dads car (07 GT500) with a Wideband kit and get a friend of mine to order one for his Ford 7.3 Diesel truck with an Exhaust temp sensor. At this point I’m not sure about recommending or purchasing from Aeroforce after this incident.

If I had called about logging my car and asked the questions about the wideband controller, based on the last email I would have ended up with a damaged o2 sensor anyway. I think you guys should send me a replacement LSU 4.9 sensor. This is a street driven car and I don’t use any fuel additives, race gas or nitrous. I doubt this was a coincidence. The sensor was damaged due to having just the Aeroforce gauge disconnected, since the Wideband controller has it’s own ground and switch power according to the last email there shouldn’t have been any damage to the Wideband sensor. Since all the contoller does it send a signal to the Aeroforce Gauge. Apparently there is some sort of signal from the Aeroforce gauge to the Wideband controller.

If you want repeat business, recommendations and save your reputation.

I think you guys should send me a replacement Bosch LSU 4.9 sensor.

Let me know.
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 8:34 AM
To: Jared Grant
Subject: Re: Sensor for wibeband

i will try to duplicate that here. The gauge doesn't have any control over the sensor it just reads the 0-5 volts so It should n't have caused a sensor failure.
Pat

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 8:02 AM
Subject: RE: Sensor for wibeband

I ordered the 4.9 from oxygensensor.net.

the sensor failed since i disconnected the Aeroforce gauge from the OBD II port. I had to datalog the vehicle with SCT livelink, I figured since the WB controller is wired to my fuse box that it wouldn't damage the sensor. I thought that the gauge just displayed the A/F readings. Well I guess the gauge does have something to do with the WB controller, because my sensor was damaged after logging since my Aeroforce gauge was disconnected.

Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 04:53:23 -0800
Subject: Re: Sensor for wibeband

No. the controller is designed specifically for the 4.9.

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>; [email protected]
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2011 9:56 AM
Subject: Sensor for wibeband

Can I use the Bosch LSU 4.2 with the Aeroforce Wideband kit? I have your Inteceptor and Wideband kit.

My sensor when out and it looks like the 4.9 is easy to find online for 60.00 but no one has one locally, the LSU 4.2 is available locally.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Jared Grant

THIS SHOWS THat YOU DID NOT GET INVOLVED UNIT DECEMBER 23TH.

The top is the latest, so read from the bottom to the top.
This also SHOWS THAT IT TOOK A DAY for your company to return my first email.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread