Aeroforce Interceptors owners beware!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TVSCobra

Established Member
edit: Aeroforce is great and their customer service is the best.

to save time see page 3.

Last edited:

rudycobra

Established Member
Hmmmm ? I was at the track and unplugged my dual aero force to change tunes and when plugged it back in I noticed it was stuck on 10 ! It still is stuck in 10 . So I need new sensor ??? So everytime I unplug gauge from connector I'm gonna mess up sensor ??

JeremyAlan

Naked SVT Poster
Established Member
well my first thought was a Y-cable like this one:
OBD-II Cables - Y-Cable 1ft.
145802_new_full_view_850w.jpg

Then I did a little reading on another site and it seems that OBD-II might not be able to handle two devices at once. Example- a guy hooked up two scan gauge type devices and which ever one booted first would get priority and the second to start would get ignored. Idk if that would affect a tuner trying to 'write' to the PCM and an aeroforce trying to 'read' parameters of the PCM at the same time. But it might be worth a try instead of frying a wideband sensor.

Maybe someone with some more knowledge about these things will chime in.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I remember reading a while back that you should NOT leave a wideband sensor installed if it isn't wired up. Leaving an unpowered sensor in place with engine running will ruin it. I guess that's why most kits come with a bung plus a plug.

So if you unplug your monitor (regardless if it's a stand alone or on an Aeroforce guage), you should remove the wideband sensor from the midpipe and install the plug.

If you don't have a plug, >> Summit <<.

rudycobra

Established Member
So does it happen if run the car with it unplugged ?? Just trying to see so hopefully won't happen again . I unplugged it at track to change tunes and kind of think I may have made a pass with it unplugged because forgot plug it in . Guess I gotta order new sensor . This is kind of crappy !

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I remember reading a while back that you should NOT leave a wideband sensor installed if it isn't wired up. Leaving an unpowered sensor in place with engine running will ruin it. I guess that's why most kits come with a bung plus a plug.

So if you unplug your monitor (regardless if it's a stand alone or on an Aeroforce guage), you should remove the wideband sensor from the midpipe and install the plug.

If you don't have a plug, >> Summit <<.

Correct, being the sensors are heated you should never leave them in unpluged or not powered with the engine running. My DJ instructions say the same.

Last edited:

TVSCobra

Established Member
The controller was never disconnected, the controller always had power and ground.
After getting a response from Aeroforce they said it shouldn't have mattered if the Intercepter was disconnected from the OBD port. The controller only sends a signal to the gauge. But it definitely does matter.

I'll post the whole emailed conversation between myself and the Aeroforce tech once this is sorted out.

They have terrible customer service.

black 10th vert

Established Member
They definitely have some of the worst customer service I have dealt with. I have a dead interceptor gauge, and really wanted to get the dual setup, but after the way I was treated when the first one broke, I am reluctant to spend any more money on their products. Sad because they are pretty much the only game in town for that type of gauge.:nonono:

ripnesscobra

Established Member
Are you powering the gauge from the OBD II connector or did you run separate power to it? The reason I ask is because I ran separate power to mine and if I unplug the OBD II connector with power still hooked up then 12 VDC is applied to the analog line running to the wideband controller. The user's manual for my wideband says that anything greater than 5 VDC on the analog line can damage the wideband setup. This is likely not your problem but it may give you some food for thought on what could have happened electrically when you unplugged the OBD II connector.

Tractionless1

Established Member
1. And is the reason I used a LC-1 as the sensors are always available at the local parts store. I haven't needed one since install, including running a leaded octane mix.

2. On my 3rd week now waiting for Aeroforce to return my email regarding the 2nd gauge they sent not powering up on ignition.

Not to mention the 2nd gauge build quality is crap compared to their 1st gen. 2 dimensional faced units. The display is absoulute garbage and the unit feels cheaper in your hand than the originals. Funny how it costs the same, won't turn on, feels cheaper, doesn't come with the full instructions anymore etc. Wonder if the orginal co. was sold to the current owner?

rudycobra

Established Member
1. And is the reason I used a LC-1 as the sensors are always available at the local parts store. I haven't needed one since install, including running a leaded octane mix.

2. On my 3rd week now waiting for Aeroforce to return my email regarding the 2nd gauge they sent not powering up on ignition.

Not to mention the 2nd gauge build quality is crap compared to their 1st gen. 2 dimensional faced units. The display is absoulute garbage and the unit feels cheaper in your hand than the originals. Funny how it costs the same, won't turn on, feels cheaper, doesn't come with the full instructions anymore etc. Wonder if the orginal co. was sold to the current owner?

I always gotta push button on at least one to turn them on !

TVSCobra

Established Member
I have the controller wired to switched igntion power from the fuse box under the drivers side dash, it also has it's own ground.

TVSCobra

Established Member

Their customer service is shit.

Last edited:

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
Wow. Well, they should have replaced the sensor if they told you it wouldn’t get damaged. I have the twin gauge set-up. I do like the gauges. I am currently using 3 analog inputs-boost, fuel pressure, and a 0-5V from the wideband (not an Aeroforce unit). The gauges are very easy to use compared to some other digital gauges I’ve seen. They did mention that if the gauges need to be unplugged from the OBDII port, you need to unplug the fuel pressure sensor analog plug first. If you don’t, it can “lose it’s ground” and cause some kind of damage. I asked them if this applies to the other analog inputs that I have and they said those ones “should be” fine. I’m not so sure. So I have disconnects on all of them so I can disconnect them if I need the port for the SCT X3.

Yes, they are not the best on customer service. E-mail only and sometimes it takes a while. It can be frustrating when you’re trying to figure something out and you have wait days to get an answer.

Overall, it’s a good product I think. They function well and look really nice.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Hmm I was wondering if my sensor is working correctly. It seems mine is around 11:1 at wot and it always use to be 11:7 or so. And at idle mine now goes from 14.2-14.8. Seems it drops down a little lower than usual.

Am I right thinking that the sensor is always being powered even if the gauge is unplugged? The sensor is still wired up to the controller. And yes there service sucks, I asked a question this past summer on there forum and a few days later there forum was down. Heck last I checked it's still down!

TVSCobra

Established Member
I think you should do more research about your claim before you go on a witch hunt against Aeroforce.

I was asked by Todd from Aeroforce. What are you getting at?

I have done my research and a lot of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread