allocations and production? 350R

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
They'll be a good number at msrp if you have patients.

You have to be a doctor just to get one at MSRP??? :poke:

That'll be great for the folks that want "just" a GT350. Maybe Ford will see the demand for the R and increase production so those of us that want that one can get one for MSRP.

johnny-longtors

Haikeeba!
Established Member
Maybe Ford will see the demand for the R and increase production so those of us that want that one can get one for MSRP.
I really hope so - but folks seem to believe that the wheels are the limiting factor (despite them being available from FRP) and production won't be upped. My fear is that I will wait for the impossible-to-get "R", and miss the chance to get "standard" in the process.... But whatever - if it's gonna happen it will happen.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I really hope so - but folks seem to believe that the wheels are the limiting factor (despite them being available from FRP) and production won't be upped. My fear is that I will wait for the impossible-to-get "R", and miss the chance to get "standard" in the process.... But whatever - if it's gonna happen it will happen.

I was in love with the regular GT350 when it debuted. I just knew I was going to get one. Then they introduced the R. Now I don't think I can "settle" for a regular GT350 while knowing the R exists. Every time I'd get in it, I'd just be thinking about what could've been. And with the way my car is setup now, I have the sneaking suspicion that driving a base GT350 wouldn't be dramatically or dynamically different from what I already have. (Aside from steering feel, I guess, but a Boss 302S/R steering rack would probably remedy that.)

03Predator

Established Member
I was in love with the regular GT350 when it debuted. I just knew I was going to get one. Then they introduced the R. Now I don't think I can "settle" for a regular GT350 while knowing the R exists. Every time I'd get in it, I'd just be thinking about what could've been. And with the way my car is setup now, I have the sneaking suspicion that driving a base GT350 wouldn't be dramatically or dynamically different from what I already have. (Aside from steering feel, I guess, but a Boss 302S/R steering rack would probably remedy that.)

That's kind of how I feel at the moment. But I know once I pick the car up I'll be pretty elated for quite some time...until, of course, the first R's are being delivered at MSRP. Ha!

johnny-longtors

Haikeeba!
Established Member
I was in love with the regular GT350 when it debuted. I just knew I was going to get one. Then they introduced the R. Now I don't think I can "settle" for a regular GT350 while knowing the R exists.
I have zero justification other than I just want one. I know the track guys are rolling their eyes at this, but whatever - at least I'd actually _drive_ mine and not make it a garage queen (which is where I'm betting 90% of those selling for $10k+ ADMs are heading).... I have a 600 RWHP GT that's "built" from top to bottom with over 60 grand in it (over like 7 years) - because that's what I built..... people think I'm nuts because I don't track it. Just not my thing.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Don't feel too bad. If I get my hands on an R, it'll probably never see a track, either. There just aren't any conveniently located, and the hassle just to get ON a track day weekend event isn't worth it to me. It will, however, see a helluva lot of mountain and country roads!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
They won't increase production to drive down prices.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
They'll increase production to sell more cars and make more money.
Oh, is that how it works?

Then please explain Ford only making 750 FGTs over a 3 year span?

Or only 300 00Rs.

Again, they won't increase production.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Oh, is that how it works?

Then please explain Ford only making 750 FGTs over a 3 year span?

Or only 300 00Rs.

Again, they won't increase production.

How many 13-14 GR500s were made?

The new GT is probably constrained by its complexity, and by the qty Ford is sure they can sell.

GT350 Rs are most likely constrained by the wheels.

1993 Rs and 2000 Rs, you got me.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
How many 13-14 GR500s were made?

The new GT is probably constrained by its complexity, and by the qty Ford is sure they can sell.

1993 Rs and 2000 Rs, you got me.
Believe me, I wish they'd make more too; I want one.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator

Hard to gauge at this point.

I found this from 2012...

By the middle to latter part of next year, the firm plans to begin low-volume production, initially at a rate of 6,000 wheels annually. Within a year, it hopes to get that up to 25,000. And with a few mainstream makers that could increase ten, even 100-fold.

Ultimately, “We’re focused not on 250,000 a year, but 2.5 million wheels a year,” says the Australian executive.

Carbon Revolution is by no means the only company toying with the new material. BMW and General Motors have both invested in firms that they hope will develop new production methods to sharply reduce the cost – while speeding up the process of producing carbon fiber components. The raw material isn’t cheap – costing dozens of times more, pound-for-pound, than aluminum. But it’s the largely manual labor needed to “lay up” carbon fiber where the real cost comes in.

The Porsche wheels, for example, require the assembly of about 100 separate pieces.

Dingle insists raw materials costs will come down as carbon fiber goes into more mainstream manufacturing applications. And there are clear signs that labor costs will drop, as well. Consider that when it built its F1 supercar a decade back, McLaren needed 1000 manhours for the carbon fiber chassis. That dropped to barely 100 hours on the Mercedes-McLaren SLR model, and is now down to little more than 10 hours on the new McLaren MP4-12C.

Five years out, Dingle forecasts Carbon Revolution could produce a typical CF wheel for as little as $250 – or $1,000 to $1,250 a set, depending on whether there’s a spare.

The sad thing is that we no longer have the V8 option five years out.

Then this from 2014...

Rapid recent growth has resulted in a full pilot commercial production line currently capable of producing approximately 2,500 wheels per year.

Although elements of the current process remain relatively labour intensive, the ongoing development of bespoke process automation solutions is resulting in a steady increase in production capacity and providing opportunities for additions to the IP portfolio.

Construction has recently commenced on a full scale facility capable of producing 50,000 wheels per year with the capacity to expand to 250,000 wheels in the future as demand increases.

Carbon Revolution won a production contract with an overseas manufacturer in 2013, and negotiations are well progressed on further programs with original equipment manufacturers based in Europe. This facility is anticipated to service major vehicle manufacturer contracts as well as aftermarket sales to numerous offshore markets.

The CR-9 wheel is currently available for the Porsche 911, the Lamborghini Gallardo and the Audi R8. More fitments (starting with the BMW M3) are planned for the near future.

Finally, this from 2015...

When at full capacity, this facility will have capacity for commercial scale production of 50,000 carbon fibre wheels a year for supply to the automotive industry.

So 50,000 sounds like the magic number. That's enough wheels for 12,500 vehicles. Hopefully they are ramping up fast.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
They'll be a good number at msrp if you have pacients.

I tried, but I can't resist! It's "patience."

So 50,000 sounds like the magic number. That's enough wheels for 12,500 vehicles. Hopefully they are ramping up fast.

The unfortunate part of that equation is that a portion of those wheels are no doubt allocated for aftermarket sales to the Porsche/Lambo/Audi (VWAG) cars. The leftover units probably aren't enough to support increased production of the R. There's probably some attrition baked into that figure, too, for assembly line damage at Ford, theft somewhere in the supply chain, and customer replacements from accident damage. Factoring all that in, there's probably not much wiggle room for increased R production.

Question for you engineering types; a lot of (not just automotive) manufacturing companies have been using carbon reinforced plastics for parts. It's not as light as full carbon fiber, but nearly as strong. It's also much cheaper and faster to manufacture. Would/could a carbon reinforced plastic wheel be a viable alternative? Isn't it the bond between the carbon atoms and the resin that gives carbon fiber it's strength? A piece of raw, unprocessed carbon fiber cloth is extremely flimsy. And speaking of that resin, is it polycarbonate?

Last edited:

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Why not hydo dip steel wheels in carbon fiber. Most will never know :burnout:

Sarcasm of course

Users who are viewing this thread