An Open Letter To All 2013 GT500 Owners

TheOne2HotScott

Established Member
An Open Letter to 2013 GT500 Owners | Street Side Auto Blog

An Open Letter to 2013 GT500 Owners
written by streetsidemechanic | June 4, 2012

2013 shelby gt500Dear Friends,

You’ve worked hard all your life, scraping together your savings, clipping coupons and eating out seldom. You’ve put in the overtime, invested well, and slept little. And now it’s time for the payoff: your 2013 GT500 Shelby Mustang.

For the rest of your life, you’ll never forget the day it arrived, grabbing your phone and seeing that wonderful sight: the dealership’s ID shining on the screen. Your car was ready. You sped over, cut that check, and the beauty was in hand. Finally. After all these years.

But do us a favor: ask yourself why. Why did you spend all those years saving up the 65 grand it took to get a track pack Shelby these days? Why not invest it in gold or a promising stock? Why not will it to your progeny? Why not remodel your house or buy a rental property?

Was it because all of that sounds boring? Because the 2013 GT500 is the fastest Snake ever, cresting 200 mph? Perhaps you were interested in that 5.8 liter V8, the one making 662 HP and 631 lb/ft of torque. Surely a 0-60 time of 3.6 seconds and a quarter mile in the 11s (stock) held some allure for you when you swiped your Cross pen across that contract.

2013 shelby gt500

After all, if you were looking for prestige and status in a car, you could have bought an Audi or Mercedes. But maybe you wanted that look, that classic, raked, muscle car posture that comes with the Mustang. Those big, fat, Navy racing stripes accent the handful of a body quite nicely, don’t they? And there’s all those oversized Shelby signatures and Cobra badges, gleaming in the sun like medals won on the battlefield. Surely, though, you didn’t pay tens of thousands over a stock Mustang for a few silver serpents and a nostalgic paint job. That’s not in your character. You’re more thrifty than that.

So why did you do it? Forgive us for not thinking better of you, but we must ask: Was this just an investmen? Did you buy your GT500 so it could languish in your garage under a breathable dust cover? Are you preserving it as a statue for future generations to study? We hope not, because the word stationary comes from statue, and that’s no fate to wish upon such a magnificent machine.

Nor is it the fate to wish upon us, your audience. Yes, you have one now. The moment you passed someone on your way out of the dealership, it began: a following, a mental note in the young passerby that Someone in my town owns the fastest stock Mustang ever built. We’re waiting for you, owner. We’re at your mercy, and we need you to teach us about the sound of a supercharger whine and that rumbling in the chest cavity when an exhaust starts to sing its song. We need to know the tint and hue of tire smoke.

So we, the next generation of potential gearheads, implore you, GT500 buyers: drive your cars. Take them to the track. Take them to the strip. Run them in autocross. Hoon them discreetly in parking lots on cool summer evenings. Take GoPro videos. Just get them out of the garage.

Because this is what preserves a nation’s car culture. Performance is about performing. Isn’t that what started this journey for you? Back then, did you want that ’65 GT500 because it was a good investment? No, you wanted it because of the way it made the peach fuzz on your little arms stand up. You wanted it because it was terrifying and beautiful and it made you want to cover your ears, but only at first.

You could save your new GT500, cloister it on jack stands in your garage, only taking it to the occasional car show or meet, gingerly touching the throttle, taking back roads the whole way there. But twenty years down, who will visit those car shows? Who will stop at your meet, just to take a picture with the Beast from ’13?

No one. We’ll all be too busy letting our puny electric cars drive themselves while we text our BFFs. We won’t even notice.

So let us hear that V8’s mad ruckus. Chip the paint. Wreck the tires and darken the oil. Do it for us. Drive your GT500, and we promise to pass on the favor when it’s us cutting those checks.

Affectionately Yours,

The Potentials

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I hear you my potentials....please see my thread where I have already take mine to the track, both strip and road course. I will continue to pamper but also spank my car when she asks. I will continue to enjoy her both in show and go....I am gladly one of the 2% who actually drive their cars....yes learn from me, though Im no pro my efforts speak for themselves

2600 miles and counting ( spirited, tracked, grocery getter, panty droppa) she does it all....:thumbsup:

JDJ

Established Member
;-) I think I hear The Star Spangled Banner, and F22's doing a fly over.

America Supercharged V8, is great.

Tonyalaskarms

Harley Rider
Established Member
Well I haven't quiet got mine yet, will pick it up on the 13th, but this write makes me feel like it will be something special for sure.

ford13

Established Member
That hi-po Ford grumble get's me emotional. I am very proud of my 500.
My dad had a 289 when I was a baby. He loved that car and so did I. That car sounded bad ass.
He was the first to drive the 500, the supercharger became active with him at the wheel. He had his best girl with him also, (my mom lol!)
Apparently the 500 grumbles alright too!
Thanks for the letter, I will be a 2%er too ...

jbs$

Established Member
I picked it up yesterday and I'll have to think about adding a post here. As most likely the oldest buyer of one of these cars, I am enjoying the hell out of it.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
9k and I left the track on Friday. I drive Roxxy I drive her hard and long.....and she loves every minute of it.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
:rockon::rockon:

Love it! This is how I feel about every fun, high horse powered car! GET IT OUT AND BEAT ON IT!!

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
I only get to drive mine on weekends, but 80% of that drive consists of blower screaming.

I'm still one of the few guys with vids street racing so far.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Where you been potentials?

I put 6500 miles on mine in 75 days- y'all are late to the party

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I can see the 2013 GT500 owners buying the car for the same reason why I bought a 2003 Cobra, the pure enjoyment of having the fastest, highest hp Mustang produced for a production car (at the time). 104K miles later, the smiles are still on my face when I mash the go fast pedal.

Users who are viewing this thread