Another dead Coyote - VMP TVS

Status
Not open for further replies.

6SpeedFreak

Established Member
It does matter. If the car is a weekend warrior for only sunny days it will most likely live longer then cars that are actually tracked.

-Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I beat on my car quite a bit...I have to drive it to air force duty once a month which is 200 miles one way...nomally do quite a few 3 and fourth gears pulls...it hasn't seen a lot of 1st and 2nd gear stuff but that is only because she just won't hook up on street tires. Im sitting right at 600 whp with roughly the same TQ...Although my car isn't driving everyday like most when it is driving it is for fun!!!

techwerkz

Established Member

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Yes and no. It clearly states in the warranty that power adders will void the warranty:

"Damage due to addition of power adders such as superchargers, turbochargers or nitrous oxide."

http://www.fordracingparts.com/announcements/include/FRPP_Limited_Warranty_Statement_2012v2.pdf

I will be going with a built short block from MPR. Still looking at all my options however.

the mmr short block looks really good. you could probably get some money from your short block too even if it has a bad piston. if the block itself is good you could get at least a little something.

burke985

Established Member
Getting my vortech put on in july seeing threads like these suck. I will not go over 8.5 psi though and hopefully i can get shaun to tune it when it goes on ...good luck OP

csb85

Established Member
Getting my vortech put on in july seeing threads like these suck. I will not go over 8.5 psi though and hopefully i can get shaun to tune it when it goes on ...good luck OP

I was only at 8 psi peak boost and my number 8 went.

csb85

Established Member
Yeah. Was making 605 at the wheels. I had the same thing as the op car started smoking did a compression test and only had 80 psi in cylinder 8. It sucks that all these blown motors are popping up lately, but you gotta pay to play.

burke985

Established Member
Yeah. Was making 605 at the wheels. I had the same thing as the op car started smoking did a compression test and only had 80 psi in cylinder 8. It sucks that all these blown motors are popping up lately, but you gotta pay to play.

Well i dont want an aggressive tune on mine if all i got was 550 at the wheels and was more reliable then i can settle for that. I wonder what the statistics are for Boosted Coyotes with blown motors and naturally aspirated with blown motors. I think its all in the tune and user, either someone got too aggressive with the tuning or user neglect. Not saying this is the case here or your case just my opinion from reading about them.

Mr. Anderson

Established Member
high afr, from time 430.83 up all the way till 432.xx where I see you got off the throttle, your knock sensors picked something up also and were trying to help as your timing initially retarded 2 degrees during this time and continued to retard more as rpm's increased. your afr or lambda in this case should be targeted for .79 across the board on a WOT run, no higher.

Last edited:

burke985

Established Member
I dont think you will have anything to worry about with shaun tuneing it. :thumbup:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah im trying to set up a remote location right now and i think i got one near me. If i cant get him to tune it im driving my ass to Steeda

spdracr0

Established Member
1) Datalog EVERY tune to verify it is what you are looking for with a higher octane than you wish to run.

2) Always know what you are getting.

3) If 1 and 2 are done and something happens then dont throw the tuner out there. The way people throw air/fuel and timing numbers out there makes me wonder why more do not tune themselves.

Not bashing, just something to think about. This is why I so all my tuning because if there is one thing I can guarantee is NO ONE will spend more time dialing in your car than you will.

spdracr0

Established Member
And I do hate to hear of your troubles, please dont misunderstand! Hope you get it up and running hard again soon!

mtrsprt

Established Member
high afr, from time 430.83 up all the way till 432.xx where I see you got off the throttle, your knock sensors picked something up also and were trying to help as your timing initially retarded 2 degrees during this time and continued to retard more as rpm's increased. your afr or lambda in this case should be targeted for .79 across the board on a WOT run, no higher.
Bingo....^^^^^

To the OP...

A little lean, a little too much timing, and more HP than the Coyote can safely handle. (I personally think anything over 575rwhp for extended periods of time and/or higher RPM than 6800 with this much power can shorten the life of the internals quicker than expected.)

Your top plugs show hot/lean. Bottom plugs are not uncommon to see some oil around the threads etc.

You can not log fuel pump duty cycle on these setups accurately. The only way to see if your pumps are up to snuff, is by installing a fuel pressure gauge and watching for excessive pressure drop.

My setup goes starts going over .80 lambda at about 6600rpm with a 17V BAP. I have the limiter set to 6800 until my 21V JMS unit arrives.

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
Some people in this thread don't seem to understand that a bad tune can kill the best built motors as easily as a stock motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread