Another solid axle GT with IRS exhaust

SILVERSTONE

SilverBullitt
Established Member
You only know its the "right" way cause its been done a billion times like that, who decides if its really "right"?
apparently he does :shrug: lol.. probably the most ignorant comment i have had, i hope his car is 100% stock otherwise he just contradicted himself

over is right, under is wrong (Ford didn't think so) so I guess dumps....... who knows!!!! lol

if lovin it is wrong....

LUTHER INGRAM: IF LOVING YOU IS WRONG, I DON'T WANNA BE RIGHT - YouTube

lol you have made my day sir!! :beer:

SILVERSTONE

SilverBullitt
Established Member
i said i was going to clean the exhaust pipes but it seems like its going to continue raining so i didnt lol, but i still took some pics

now on to underneath pics

20130528_123101_zpsb1561989.jpg

20130528_123054_zps8c18981e.jpg

20130528_122855_zps2cfffc2f.jpg

20130528_122816_zpsd77925c2.jpg

20130528_122716_zps3cac67d6.jpg

20130528_122658_zps237d3df6.jpg

20130528_122647_zps239b3ce1.jpg

20130528_122612_zpse3c35f96.jpg

20130528_122546_zps26275b0d.jpg

dutch

LOL Europe
Established Member
Awesome dude, thanks!

So the mufflers are in the stock place, but hang a lot lower, right? Don't you scrape them? I even used to scrape my cats on speedbumps here! And the diffcover hasn't hit the pipes yet? I suppose you'd need to fly on a pretty big hump to make that happen..

Anyhoo, great work!

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
First, thanx for the underneath pics....tells a lot on how you did it, which by the way is very clean in the install...not surprising by the way you have done yor car!!!:rockon::rockon:
One other question, if you don't mind....did you use the flow tubes back from the IRS system or just add on from the mufflers back (understanding you also changed out the mufflers). Question is asked since i am wondering if you had the IRS system from just the mufflers back if it will work. Thanx for any insight.

SILVERSTONE

SilverBullitt
Established Member
Nice job OP. Looks great!
Thank you sir!

I dig it - good job. :beer:
:beer: Thank you!!

Awesome dude, thanks!

So the mufflers are in the stock place, but hang a lot lower, right? Don't you scrape them? I even used to scrape my cats on speedbumps here! And the diffcover hasn't hit the pipes yet? I suppose you'd need to fly on a pretty big hump to make that happen..

Anyhoo, great work!

no problem man! anything to help out a bro!, yeah it seems like the mufflers pretty much ended up where the stocks used to be, it looks like they hang lower but actually my prochamber is lower than that (my prochamber is the one that takes the beating lol), they seem fine to me, i haven't scraped the mufflers yet lol.. and my car is pretty low, and no on the diff hitting pipes, at least that i know off lol.. so yeah any other thing u are wondering about ill be more than happy to help u out, im glad u appreciate the hard work, not like others thinking i did wrong :shrug: lol

SILVERSTONE

SilverBullitt
Established Member
First, thanx for the underneath pics....tells a lot on how you did it, which by the way is very clean in the install...not surprising by the way you have done yor car!!!:rockon::rockon:
One other question, if you don't mind....did you use the flow tubes back from the IRS system or just add on from the mufflers back (understanding you also changed out the mufflers). Question is asked since i am wondering if you had the IRS system from just the mufflers back if it will work. Thanx for any insight.

no problem man!, like i said anything to help out, im glad u appreciate the work done, my friend and i tried making it as close to stock as it could get,
the flow tubes are off the IRS system, so we only replaced the exhaust tips for 4" ones and the flowmasters that had inlet and outlet on the same side, all the piping was used from the IRS. not saying its not possible some other way but thats how mine was done without going to a muffler shop. :beer:

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
no problem man!, like i said anything to help out, im glad u appreciate the work done, my friend and i tried making it as close to stock as it could get,
the flow tubes are off the IRS system, so we only replaced the exhaust tips for 4" ones and the flowmasters that had inlet and outlet on the same side, all the piping was used from the IRS. not saying its not possible some other way but thats how mine was done without going to a muffler shop. :beer:

That really helps. Thanx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will have to keep us updated on your ride as you do more. :beer:
Someone else on here with a Mach had done this and really sparked my interest. Your car has about put me over the edge on doing it on mine.

Last edited:

1loudmouthpony

Established Member
Oh man, those mufflers are LOW. i would drag everywhere around here. looks great though.

so i have a question, my magnapack catback is for a straight axle but arnt the extension tubes and mufflers the same as in size and location compared to a irs system? i wasnt sure if i could get away with using the tailpipes from my mac exhaust and using the magna packs and extension tubes from the kit i just bought

SILVERSTONE

SilverBullitt
Established Member
Thanks, great install man! Props for being different and pulling it off with great succes!
no prob. :beer: Thank you for the great input!

That really helps. Thanx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will have to keep us updated on your ride as you do more. :beer:
Someone else on here with a Mach had done this and really sparked my interest. Your car has about put me over the edge on doing it on mine.
no prob man! im glad i helped out :beer: i will try to keep posting as i add on new stuff, yeah i also saw that mach

Oh man, those mufflers are LOW. i would drag everywhere around here. looks great though.

so i have a question, my magnapack catback is for a straight axle but arnt the extension tubes and mufflers the same as in size and location compared to a irs system? i wasnt sure if i could get away with using the tailpipes from my mac exhaust and using the magna packs and extension tubes from the kit i just bought

lol they seem fine to me lol do you live around gravel roads lol, the muffler seems to be around the same location, you can try it out see if it fits, if u notice if my muffler was to be more up my tail pipes will probably hit my sway bar or differential and actually u wont even see the tail pipes from the back because they will hide behind the gas tank, and mine sit just like stock cobras, others that have done it seem so sag, thats why i think my mufflers are in the right location. believe me we looked at everything before we welded anything lol

ricafortegio

a306juGRnot
Established Member
this looks great! id think about doing this if i get another sra mustang. just to clarify, if you jack up the car, would you have to remove your catback? im assuming youd have to use your ramp instead?

1hot281

Established Member
Looks good... but I'd imagine rear suspension extension would pose a real problem. Not only from jacking up the car, but under braking. Hard braking and the accompanying brake dive brings the rear of the car up, rather high.

xIMG_21393_zps6edca222.jpg

At point of contact, something would have to give. Either binding up the rear suspension, breaking something in the exhaust system, or both.

I don't think Ford chose over axle pipes for the fun of it. How many solid axle cars ever produced use an under-axle exhaust?

smitty2919

Established Member
Looks good... but I'd imagine rear suspension extension would pose a real problem. Not only from jacking up the car, but under braking. Hard braking and the accompanying brake dive brings the rear of the car up, rather high.

At point of contact, something would have to give. Either binding up the rear suspension, breaking something in the exhaust system, or both.

I don't think Ford chose over axle pipes for the fun of it. How many solid axle cars ever produced use an under-axle exhaust?

I highly doubt his braking force would create the axle to droop that far and hit the exhaust...

As for jacking the car up? Use the rear diff...If doing any suspension work worth while it's a couple of bolts and hanger to remove it anyways as it drops out from under the car. To put UPR LCA's on the back of my Mach 1 I had to remove the mufflers/flowtubes to access the front most bolt going through the frame. And that was with the SRA catback.

SILVERSTONE

SilverBullitt
Established Member
this looks great! id think about doing this if i get another sra mustang. just to clarify, if you jack up the car, would you have to remove your catback? im assuming youd have to use your ramp instead?
Thanks!! i bought a low profile jack that im able to fit under the pipes and i can lift the rear of the car jacking it from the center of the differential with out ramps, the ramps just make my life easier lol

Thanks, i dont see myself braking like that any time soon, and jacking the car is not a problem i have done it like 1000 times already

I highly doubt his braking force would create the axle to droop that far and hit the exhaust...

As for jacking the car up? Use the rear diff...If doing any suspension work worth while it's a couple of bolts and hanger to remove it anyways as it drops out from under the car. To put UPR LCA's on the back of my Mach 1 I had to remove the mufflers/flowtubes to access the front most bolt going through the frame. And that was with the SRA catback.

Thanks, yeah jacking my car is not a problem, with or without ramps, like u said if anything i can just remove the clamps and they are out

03yellowstang

Established Member
I am the one that helped him put this together and after doing this I have to say it was easier to get the IRS on and off the car then my SRA exhaust. For that reason it kind of makes me want to do it and it looks so much better. For you guys that are worried about the axle hitting when driving its not a problem. With the car being lowered the axle is higher in the body of the car anyway. Also like he said jacking the car up isn't any harder then a normal SRA exhaust. We also put the exhaust system together so you can remove the piping from the back of the muffler to the tailpipe by undoing one clamp. Like he said we thought all this out before we did it.

Its been on for a good months now with no problems and we have plenty of pot holes up here in the lovely city of Chicago.

Users who are viewing this thread