Any updates on the 1-piece TF wheels?

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
good news and bad news.

the bad news is it would cost an astronomical amount to have the 10.5s for the rears made. probably more than i can swing any time soon. if i do all four at 20x9.5, then it would be much more realistic/likely/doable. and then maybe add 10.5s down the road in a year or so. if people are running RTRs with 9.5" rears, than these should work too.

and the good news is you could probably send them to weldcraft to be widened for a few bucks more.

im still working on it but its like navigating a crazy obstacle course :read:

radtexas

Established Member
good news and bad news.

the bad news is it would cost an astronomical amount to have the 10.5s for the rears made. probably more than i can swing any time soon. if i do all four at 20x9.5, then it would be much more realistic/likely/doable. and then maybe add 10.5s down the road in a year or so. if people are running RTRs with 9.5" rears, than these should work too.

and the good news is you could probably send them to weldcraft to be widened for a few bucks more.

This is for 20's only correct? 18's are still going to come in 10.5's?

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
good news and bad news.

maybe you could make weldcraft widening an option, ship the wheels straight to weldcraft for people who want wider wheels.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
This is for 20's only correct? 18's are still going to come in 10.5's?

same boat with the 18s. the manufacture that will make them already has molds in certain sizes on hand. to use those sizes, it will cost X amount of dollars, which is not chump change by any means. about $10k, plus the cost of production. to have a new mold made, in the size you want, is looking to be about $20-25k, for each size. this manufacturer makes common size wheels. so obviously no 11". 9" im sure they probably have that. to make 11s id then have to jack the price way up which most people would not want. this is where it might be more cost effective have weldcraft do their thing. people get the sizes they want for way less.

18 x 9 & 18 x 11 please!

maybe you could make weldcraft widening an option, ship the wheels straight to weldcraft for people who want wider wheels.

yep, exactly what i was thinking. that just dawned on me the other day lol. i could possibly set something up with them to keep the costs down if we end up sending enough their way. some people may opt to leave them as is (the sizes) and some can opt to have them widened for a few bucks more. then everyone gets what they want.

and believe it or not, some people do not want wide wheels. especially 11s. it forces you to buy much more expensive tires and choose from a more limited selection. and then you have to buy a matching front. im trying to make these work for the 5.0 and V6 crowd as well and many of them wont want to buy 315/30/20 R888s at $450 a pop lol.

sure this way would take a little longer but you could then have them made to what you want. i was planning on doing 20x10.5s before and im sure many would prefer 11s. and some would prefer 10. if we had to do 9.5s, a lot of people would be ok with that. and the rest could have them widened if they elected to and it wouldnt cost a fortune. i believe weldcraft charges $250 a wheel? and like i said, i could maybe work a deal with them for our wheels specifically.

thanks all for your interest and support :beer:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
so Steve - what are the most likely 18 sizes that TF will produce?

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
so Steve - what are the most likely 18 sizes that TF will produce?

i have to go back and look at the numbers they gave me but there wasnt anything WIDE. maybe 10" at the widest. certainly not 10.5 or 11 unfortunately. perhaps down the road if these were to take off and produce enough money to pay for molds to go wider. but by then, most would have already had weldcraft widen them lol.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
damn.............. I was really getting stoked to get a set with 18x11 rears. having to have them widened would kill the cost advantage vs. another set I've been looking at.

oh well.....

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Just out of curiosity, why would you want an 11" wheel on a street car that's got a standard well and axle length? I can understand if you running a narrowed rear or mini-tub, but at some point wider wheels begin to create a counter productive environment. I would think a 10" wheel should have no problem grasping most (if not all) of the widest tires you can fit on a stock 500 or GT without rubbing anyway. How big of a tire are you looking to get??
Another thing to consider is the weight to traction ratio which the added wheel size and tire weight is most likely not going to provide any more traction over the sightly smaller tire, to make it worth eating the extra 10 or 20 pounds of unsprung weight.

Just my $.02 here, but I really never understood the concept of putting the widest possible wheel you can find on the back of a car only to put a tire on it that would have fit fine on a .5"-1" narrower rim. Seems like a waste of weight in a spot that you really don't want to add weight to if you don't have to.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Just out of curiosity, why would you want an 11" wheel on a street car that's got a standard well and axle length? I can understand if you running a narrowed rear or mini-tub, but at some point wider wheels begin to create a counter productive environment. I would think a 10" wheel should have no problem grasping most (if not all) of the widest tires you can fit on a stock 500 or GT without rubbing anyway. How big of a tire are you looking to get??
Another thing to consider is the weight to traction ratio which the added wheel size and tire weight is most likely not going to provide any more traction over the sightly smaller tire, to make it worth eating the extra 10 or 20 pounds of unsprung weight.

Just my $.02 here, but I really never understood the concept of putting the widest possible wheel you can find on the back of a car only to put a tire on it that would have fit fine on a .5"-1" narrower rim. Seems like a waste of weight in a spot that you really don't want to add weight to if you don't have to.

I'd put a 345/35/18 MT on the car. It's been proven to fit. I both like the look of a big a$$ tire and the size should help traction. I dont want to put that size on a 10" rim when the suggested size is 12" and min is 11"

The car makes 800+ to the tire so the added weight on the street is not much of a concern to me.

make more sense?

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Yep, makes perfect sense. That's a BIGA** tire :lol: But yeah, I get your point. I didn't know a tire that big was even available in a DR let alone that it would fit under the car without rubbing. I was think the 19" rims, not 18's and completely forgot that the 18" tire market is MUCH different than the 19" tire market. I do understand why you'd want the widest tire possible with 800 RWHP on tap though, I felt the same way with my 03 Cobra that was only making 600.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
all good man, I'd never go to a 19+" wheel. I'd go to a 17" x 11 if I found a good fitment

btw IDK how close you are to Atco. but weather permitting I'll be there Monday running the car

Users who are viewing this thread