Anybody going to get a "Scat-Pack" R\T Challenger?

Riptide

Established Member
I see they are now using a twin turbocharged inline 6 with similar peak HP figures as the last model. Power band however is significantly improved. No doubt the new one would out compete the current Mustang.

However at the price they expect it had better. Hey, you knew it was coming. ;)

jshen

Established Member
Not trying to derail this thread but I wonder if they plan on making a Scat Pack Charger with the N/A 6.2

Kinda looks like they are...http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...xt_awd_first_drive/?cx_source=cxrecs#cxrecs_s

"The Charger range spans the V-6 powered SE and SXT models, the 5.7-liter V-8 powered R/T (pictured above), the 6.4-liter V-8 powered R/T Scat Pack, and SRT 392 before it reaches the Hellcat at the top of the line.... At just under $34,000 to start, the base R/T is a decent value proposition, but it’s a tempting $7,000 jump to the R/T Scat Pack. With its four-piston Brembo brakes, Bilstein suspension, and 485-hp 6.4-liter Hemi V-8 up front, the Scat Pack is essentially last-year’s SRT for a significantly discounted price. For performance-minded buyers, the R/T Scat Pack is probably the best value to be had in the whole Charger lineup."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...rt_srt_392_sxt_awd_first_drive/#ixzz3Hdupp4qi

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...rt_srt_392_sxt_awd_first_drive/#ixzz3HdtiJblG

Last edited:

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Kinda looks like they are...http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...xt_awd_first_drive/?cx_source=cxrecs#cxrecs_s

"The Charger range spans the V-6 powered SE and SXT models, the 5.7-liter V-8 powered R/T (pictured above), the 6.4-liter V-8 powered R/T Scat Pack, and SRT 392 before it reaches the Hellcat at the top of the line.... At just under $34,000 to start, the base R/T is a decent value proposition, but it’s a tempting $7,000 jump to the R/T Scat Pack. With its four-piston Brembo brakes, Bilstein suspension, and 485-hp 6.4-liter Hemi V-8 up front, the Scat Pack is essentially last-year’s SRT for a significantly discounted price. For performance-minded buyers, the R/T Scat Pack is probably the best value to be had in the whole Charger lineup."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...rt_srt_392_sxt_awd_first_drive/#ixzz3Hdupp4qi

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...rt_srt_392_sxt_awd_first_drive/#ixzz3HdtiJblG

That's to many trim levels IMO, damn.

Troponin

Established Member
It looks like Dodge is trying to hit as many price ranges as possible to let people add or subtract as much as possible to better pin point their price range. Can't say it's a bad idea. Before, you could only get the SRT package for the engine option, but allowing the engine itself to be a package on its own will put more of these on the road.

So, hang on to your hats people. More of "that guy" or "that one ugly chic trying to make up for her looks with nice car" on the road.

TommyJ

Established Member
I was going to order a challenger scat pack, until I discovered that my insurance would increase $600 a year, which is too much. If I get a new Mustang GT, it will only increase $100, which seems more reasonable.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I was going to order a challenger scat pack, until I discovered that my insurance would increase $600 a year, which is too much. If I get a new Mustang GT, it will only increase $100, which seems more reasonable.

That is surprising, I have had a quite a few vehicles and my mustangs have always cost the most to insure, more than f-bodies and corvettes. That really only comes out to 50 bucks more a month, but I agree with the principle. You might also consider another insurance company. I finally had to drop USAA, as their rates just kept creeping up, switching to Liberty Mutual has saved me 1100 a year, same coverage.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
It looks like Dodge is trying to hit as many price ranges as possible to let people add or subtract as much as possible to better pin point their price range. Can't say it's a bad idea. Before, you could only get the SRT package for the engine option, but allowing the engine itself to be a package on its own will put more of these on the road.

So, hang on to your hats people. More of "that guy" or "that one ugly chic trying to make up for her looks with nice car" on the road.

I get your point. It should be 3.5 SXT, 6.4 R/T, SRT, SRT HellCat imo.

Get rid of the 2.7 and 5.7 models.

TommyJ

Established Member
That is surprising, I have had a quite a few vehicles and my mustangs have always cost the most to insure, more than f-bodies and corvettes. That really only comes out to 50 bucks more a month, but I agree with the principle. You might also consider another insurance company. I finally had to drop USAA, as their rates just kept creeping up, switching to Liberty Mutual has saved me 1100 a year, same coverage.

I just switched from Progressive to save an additional $200 annually. I was pretty surprised when I received the quote, since my rates didn't change much when I bought my 300C and cadillac.

noco5.0

Established Member

Mine only went up 66 bucks a year on my 2015 RT Scat Pack. My previous DD was a 2013 Ram 1500. I don't recall it being very high on my Mustang either. I'm 41 and haven't had a wreck for close to 20 years though

MysticRob

Established Member
Just got my printed version of Car and Driver and they tested the new GT PP stang, Camaro SS 1LE, and SP Challenger, and came away with the new stang in 1st, Camaro in 2nd, and SP 3rd. Good article I agree with, as far as the things I know, like SP size being ginormous (friend has one and really likes his since his 2 young daughters can fit in the back), Camaro being hard to see out of (rented one once and hated it), and Mustang interior being very nicely put together (just sat in one recently).

EDIT: 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for all 3 are 4.4-4.5 and 12.9-13.0. Braking, MPG and sound levels were all close too. Skidpad and slalom showed the heft of the SP Challenger though. Pretty close performance for all of them though, which shows just how good pony cars are getting these days. Good times to be a fan of any of these cars.

Last edited:

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
i feel the challenger has stuck closest to the old school muscle car theme. the car has a usable backseat, tons of power, and is flexible across its lineup. i wish it weighed less. it i were to pick a pony car to DD, itd be a challenger. for anything else, mustang. no camaro. too ugly.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think the Challenger Scat-Pack is a nice deal. Love it in all black! Awesome looking muscle car, albeit a bit overweight. Still like it a lot, though. And speaking of Scat-Pack, interesting that Dodge resurrected the Scat-Pack name from the early '70s. Back then, it was a applied to their group of high muscle performance models. Plymouth copied it and chose the name Rapid Transit System. http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/scat-pack.html

Rotzs99

Established Member
Just go drive one. The 5.7L with the 8 speed was pretty impressive. Anyone know if the 6.4L retains cylinder deactivation?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Just got my printed version of Car and Driver and they tested the new GT PP stang, Camaro SS 1LE, and SP Challenger, and came away with the new stang in 1st, Camaro in 2nd, and SP 3rd. Good article I agree with, as far as the things I know, like SP size being ginormous (friend has one and really likes his since his 2 young daughters can fit in the back), Camaro being hard to see out of (rented one once and hated it), and Mustang interior being very nicely put together (just sat in one recently).

EDIT: 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for all 3 are 4.4-4.5 and 12.9-13.0. Braking, MPG and sound levels were all close too. Skidpad and slalom showed the heft of the SP Challenger though. Pretty close performance for all of them though, which shows just how good pony cars are getting these days. Good times to be a fan of any of these cars.

Thats not possible, according to most, the '15 is light years behind the 1LE. Because MotorTrend says so. And thats all the naysayers go off of.

MysticRob

Established Member
Just go drive one. The 5.7L with the 8 speed was pretty impressive. Anyone know if the 6.4L retains cylinder deactivation?

It does from what I read, which is likely the main reason such a heavy car and large engine are still getting comparable mpg to the smaller and lighter stang and camaro. That, and maybe the 8-sp auto transmission.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
It does from what I read, which is likely the main reason such a heavy car and large engine are still getting comparable mpg to the smaller and lighter stang and camaro. That, and maybe the 8-sp auto transmission.

Im sure the 8spd helps tremendously. IIRC the gearing are 1-6 are similar to a 6spd manual but 7 and 8 are extremely overdriven. This is how the gen coupes are as well, 1-6 is close and 7-8 are OD's.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
The car has a gas guzzler tax with the manual but not with the auto. The auto helps out that thirsty Hemi a lot.

Rotzs99

Established Member
I drove the 5.7 w/ 8 speed and when it was in 4 cylinder mode at 65 mph in 8th I was getting 33mpg. Extremely impressive IMO for a land barge with 370hp. I wonder what the 6.4L in the same conditions could muster.

Users who are viewing this thread