Anybody going to get a "Scat-Pack" R\T Challenger?

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Wayyy long ago I kept hearing about the Scat-Pack when I was on the Challenger Forums, but mostly it was stage 1, 2, and 3 (first being cai\tune, then cai\tune\tb, then cai\tune\tb\cam change)

Apparently now it's just a model, no stages aside from having HIDS\leather\etc as an option.

Anyway, apparently the think starting @ 38k nails 0-60 in 4.0-4.2 seconds, which is just incredible for the price. These new 8-speeds are just making manuals look ancient, performance difference is just insane, but I still can't believe it will out-beat a 10-12 GT-500 which has 75 more HP, and about 25lbs more torque (and is 200lbs lighter).

Just was curious as to what people are thinking about the resurrected from the dead Scat-Pack in the R\T trim, I still can't believe it is REALLY hitting 4.0-4.2 with those tiny 245s in the rear, or even with bigger tires...anyone here getting one?

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Shifty, I think you would be much happier in a challenger. You should do that, right now.

Mach828

Established Member
I was considering it, but then I realized I didn't want to tell people I drive a piece of scat

Mach828

Established Member
Joking aside the new challengers have grown on me. I'd sport a green scat ....

2015-dodge-challenger-exterior.jpg

1572547dbc025b0ceda7aa325b5ac675x.jpg

AAG

Established Member
Nope, at $38k, the best bang for the buck car out of the three Muscle cars is the Camaro SS 1LE. It may not be as fast as the 6.4 hemi in a straight line, but it has a big advantage in handling and cornering.

The tires and gearing in the 6 speed manual scat pack R/T are a joke.

Last edited:

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Shifty, I think you would be much happier in a challenger. You should do that, right now.

Weather, keep building up. Anyway, already owned an SRT-8. Went through two rear-ends, ignition failure, ac failure, power steering failure, fuel pump failure, lifter failure, blistering plastic trims, navigation fried, what else...uh....oh yeah, the actual uni-body cracked when I was under STOCK HORSE POWER as the IRS bolt literally RIPPED through the frame, never buy a first year. Fun times.

Agreed AAG, but have you driven one? The Camaro's visibility is just horrific though and I'm not too keen on the new rear tail-light design. Imo it would make a great Sunday driver, but daily, no way. I actually ran into a ZL1 owner the other day and I asked him how he liked it, he said aside from not being able to see a damn thing it was a fun car.

Also, yeah the new R\T\SRT Hell-Cat are purely focused on the new 8-speed flylite automatic, def not manual. I know the auto hellcat does 0-60 in 3.5, but the manual does it in 3.9-4.1 (or worse, depending on driver) which is why the new R\T Scat-pack times confused me.

Last edited:

AAG

Established Member
Agreed AAG, but have you driven one? The Camaro's visibility is just horrific though and I'm not too keen on the new rear tail-light design. Imo it would make a great Sunday driver, but daily, no way. I actually ran into a ZL1 owner the other day and I asked him how he liked it, he said aside from not being able to see a damn thing it was a fun car.

I have not had the opportunity. Yeah that is a huge problem with Camaro ya cant see out of it.

The new tail-lights have really grown on me. Now when I see a pre-facelift Camaro, it looks so dated to me (front and rear)

jshen

Established Member
I started looking at them but every article I've read points out how heavy the cars are and handling not good at all. I still can't bring up a 2015 order/price guide and dealer wasn't a help either. Anything that hard to look into rates a "hell no" from me. I thought they would extend the scat pack to the Charger as well but they are not....All in all - too heavy- car manufacturers are gradually starting to head for aluminum instead of steel, and Dodge dealers around here suck!

As for the Camaro, I honestly can't understand what moron at GM ok'ed a car that is such a liability..as the visibility is the worst I've ever seen in a US car. The dash humps make things worse. My nephew bought one and the headlights were so poor that seeing at night was a hazard. GM just "screwed the pooch" with this design. No car should be produced with anything other than the best headlights technically available.

Last edited:

Rotzs99

Established Member
FWIW, the regular 5.7 Hemi with the 8 speed is a pretty fun car. No it won't be very athletic, but around big sweepers, interstate cruising, or stoplight to stoplight it is pretty fun and the cabin is a pretty nice place to be.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
I started looking at them but every article I've read points out how heavy the cars are and handling not good at all. I still can't bring up a 2015 order/price guide and dealer wasn't a help either. Anything that hard to look into rates a "hell no" from me. I thought they would extend the scat pack to the Charger as well but they are not....All in all - too heavy- car manufacturers are gradually starting to head for aluminum instead of steel, and Dodge dealers around here suck!

As for the Camaro, I honestly can't understand what moron at GM ok'ed a car that is such a liability..as the visibility is the worst I've ever seen in a US car. The dash humps make things worse. My nephew bought one and the headlights were so poor that seeing at night was a hazard. GM just "screwed the pooch" with this design. No car should be produced with anything other than the best headlights technically available.

To heavy for what exactly? You're not buying this car to autocross are you?

FWIW, the regular 5.7 Hemi with the 8 speed is a pretty fun car. No it won't be very athletic, but around big sweepers, interstate cruising, or stoplight to stoplight it is pretty fun and the cabin is a pretty nice place to be.

This.

jshen

Established Member
4250 is a lot of weight and every write up on this car that I have seen complained of that. In this day and time focus is swinging to lighten cars...Course Ford didn't do a bang up job lightening the Mustang did they...I love the look of the Challenger and new Charger....

Tech4Dummies

Established Member
Nope, at $38k, the best bang for the buck car out of the three Muscle cars is the Camaro SS 1LE. It may not be as fast as the 6.4 hemi in a straight line, but it has a big advantage in handling and cornering.

The tires and gearing in the 6 speed manual scat pack R/T are a joke.

You're joking, right? Camaro isn't even a muscle car anymore. It lost that title when it started snapping halfshafts/spindles on hard launches IMO. They've even broken IRS parts just dumping the clutch at like 5-10 mph, on the street, on a summer tire. Weak $***, no offense. What i'm about to say might seem typical on a forum named "svtperformance," lol, but numbers are numbers.

I got my '13 GT premium w/ Brembo package & 3.73's for $33k, five grand less than a 1LE. Even stock, it's quicker than any stock SS on the street, quicker than some of the bolties SS's too. Mod for mod we all know the 5.0 will outflow the Ls3 so i'm not really concerned with that. I was thinking more in terms of basic weight reduction, aiming at the 3450 lb range (without stripping any interior except for the back seats) and the car is going to be much stiffer than a Boss, lowered at least 1-1.5 with a watts link & probably camber plates with 265's or 275's up front and 305's or 315's out back. 1LE won't have a chance in hell on a track.

I'd make the argument that the real value for money is what the engine and driveline can withstand from the factory and how light the car is in stock trim, which translates to how much lighter it could be. I think you'll find that, in most cases anyway, suspension/wheel/tire changes aren't going to be as expensive as engine and driveline parts.

That being said....a Scat Pack R/T should've been released a LONG time ago, like, as soon as the Challenger came out. People should've been able to buy a R/T with the 6.1 hemi for well under $40k. And the SRT8 should be lighter, it should have a lot more tire underneath it, and it should be a good 30-40 hp stronger than the Scat Pack.

TommyJ

Established Member
There's a possibility that I will be ordering one on Monday. One of my best friend's family owns a Chrysler dealership, so I buy a lot of cars through them (including my cadillac). Plan is to lease a scat pack now, then look at getting a mustang in a couple of years...

Users who are viewing this thread