Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Agreed as many on this site are diehard Ford fans BUT we're also car guys that aren't blind to the competition.
A blown Coyote in place of the 5.2 while keeping the rest of the GT350 package intact would have satisfied many of us and kept many with Ford.
At this point I would expect the GT500 announcement at the car show season either LA or Detroit but even that's a ways out.
If it's taken this long I expect it'll be a nice advance over the competition otherwise it's disappointing.
However, as you said, them you'll have the ADMs.
I liked SRTs Demon program---those sold at ADM had to wait longest, retail sales at MSRP built first.
Also the Demon marketing tease was cool, wish Ford would do similar.
-J

SlowSVT

Established Member
The $64,000 question is "what engine platform they would use in the next GT500 if it ever gets released?". Coyote, Voodoo ......... Echoboost! Maybe there is a top secret all new engine architecture program in the works that Ford had been quietly been tooling-up for which will free them from being bootstrapped to the mod motor legacy design allowing for something more substantial than 5 liters. I also think 2020 is the year they finally discover the Lockless Monster but that's just me! The S550 GT500 story is beginning to read like an Agatha Christie mystery what ever it is, if at all will be a big surprise.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Another great question is going to be,....will the GT500 be available to all that want one?
If they play the allocation game, I would think it would be harder to get your hands on a car exactly how you want it. If I'm dishing out the money for it, I want it to be exactly how I would configure it.
Look at the new ZL1's and the Z06 cars. If you want one, you could order one if you want or even go to the dealership and mostly they would have a couple on hand. With the new GT500, I don't think that will be the case. Unless I am wrong on that?

BladeX10

Established Member
The $64,000 question is "what engine platform they would use in the next GT500 if it ever gets released?". Coyote, Voodoo ......... Echoboost! Maybe there is a top secret all new engine architecture program in the works that Ford had been quietly been tooling-up for which will free them from being bootstrapped to the mod motor legacy design allowing for something more substantial than 5 liters. I also think 2020 is the year they finally discover the Lockless Monster but that's just me! The S550 GT500 story is beginning to read like an Agatha Christie mystery what ever it is, if at all will be a big surprise.

They could do a refresh of the 13/14 GT500 engine with the roots blower and toss it in the current GT350 body with some minor exterior tweaks and a beefed up IRS and it would sell like hot cakes. I know several guys who would be in line at the local Ford dealership tomorrow if they came out with that.

Ford is really over thinking their core fanbase and they are missing out on a big boat load of money by dragging it out as long as they have. It shouldve been a 2018 model year with the current refresh going on.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
They could do a refresh of the 13/14 GT500 engine with the roots blower and toss it in the current GT350 body with some minor exterior tweaks and a beefed up IRS and it would sell like hot cakes. I know several guys who would be in line at the local Ford dealership tomorrow if they came out with that.

Ford is really over thinking their core fanbase and they are missing out on a big boat load of money by dragging it out as long as they have. It shouldve been a 2018 model year with the current refresh going on.
I own a '14 so I agree but the 5.8 doesn't fit the current S550. They had to lower the supercharger kits for s550 hood clearance.
But I see your point and agree, the current GT350 is an awesome package that just needs more power.
-J

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Another great question is going to be,....will the GT500 be available to all that want one?
If they play the allocation game, I would think it would be harder to get your hands on a car exactly how you want it. If I'm dishing out the money for it, I want it to be exactly how I would configure it.
Look at the new ZL1's and the Z06 cars. If you want one, you could order one if you want or even go to the dealership and mostly they would have a couple on hand. With the new GT500, I don't think that will be the case. Unless I am wrong on that?

Same as the current FP vehicles. If you want one you need to pay in to the program. All dealers will be able to get one if they want. Much better their svt dealer program where only the biggest dealers got the svt.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I own a '14 so I agree but the 5.8 doesn't fit the current S550. They had to lower the supercharger kits for s550 hood clearance.
But I see your point and agree, the current GT350 is an awesome package that just needs more power.
-J

That's nothing a power-dome hood wouldn't fix. The real issue going forward is going to be all the new mechanics in the valley for the DI system. It's going to be much more challenging to get a beefy intercooler to fit in there.

Same as the current FP vehicles. If you want one you need to pay in to the program. All dealers will be able to get one if they want. Much better their svt dealer program where only the biggest dealers got the svt.

IMO, owners were far better served when the full SVT program was in place. I certainly don't remember parts of SVTs falling off back in the day because Ricky the wash-boy PDI'd the new cars. Remember getting a free loaner or free detailing when your SVT went in for service?

Fourcam380

Established Member
Fwiw can't see Ford spending the money applying DI or DI and PFI to such an ancient design at this point.

Ford doesn't give out free loaners for service? Ouch. Sounds like they need to step their service game up a bit as well.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
That's nothing a power-dome hood wouldn't fix. The real issue going forward is going to be all the new mechanics in the valley for the DI system. It's going to be much more challenging to get a beefy intercooler to fit in there.

IMO, owners were far better served when the full SVT program was in place. I certainly don't remember parts of SVTs falling off back in the day because Ricky the wash-boy PDI'd the new cars. Remember getting a free loaner or free detailing when your SVT went in for service?

I remember this. I wish SVT was still around. When I worked at the dealer back in the day. All SVT vehicles got free loaners unless it was just an oil change. They also got free wash and vacuum as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SlowSVT

Established Member

Agree, the Trinity is the largest displacement and highest output engine platform Ford has to date but that was taking the mod motor to it's limit. Not a combination you would want to throw much more boost at without taking substantial risk torching the paper thin lands between the bores on a linerless block. Ford has hit a brick wall here and I don't see any way they can get around it without a whole new V8 engine platform. Perhaps they can do something with the 6.2 truck engine tooling casting it in aluminum with 4V heads and forged internals which is would be ground breaking news.

It all boils down to Ford being behind the Eight Ball in regards to displacement and the amount of boost their engines can take on pump gas while honoring a warrantee. Something both GM and Chrysler had no problem overcoming. Right now I give the 2020 GT500 a 50/50 chance of ever becoming a reality. The bean counters have been scoffing at investing in a next generation performance V8 for decades and now their chickens have come home to roost!

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member

The local big svt dealer would never give me a decent price on any vehicle I tried to purchase through them. 97/98 03, Lightnings. Everything was over msrp because there was no local competition. I would go up the street and purchase non svt for $200 over invoice while the big dealers cars sat for months.

Even today the big dealer has a 20k mark up on a Yellow GT350 tech that's been on lot for 18 months.

I'm glad you can get the top cars from small local dealers that value each customer.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
That's nothing a power-dome hood wouldn't fix. The real issue going forward is going to be all the new mechanics in the valley for the DI system. It's going to be much more challenging to get a beefy intercooler to fit in there
I agree but I believe GM has DI on the TVS blown ZL1/ZR1s?
Tough engineering packaging for sure but I'm confident SVT/FP guys can come through for us.
Or just give us the turbo 5.2 :)
Port and direct Injection has big potential for aftermarket tuning although it'll take some time to figure out.
-J

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I agree but I believe GM has DI on the TVS blown ZL1/ZR1s?
Tough engineering packaging for sure but I'm confident SVT/FP guys can come through for us.
Or just give us the turbo 5.2 :)
Port and direct Injection has big potential for aftermarket tuning although it'll take some time to figure out.
-J

An LS/LT engine is a far smaller package to start with than a modular.

2016-10-12_17-14-06.jpg

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Cool pic, really.
I see lots of room in the valley :)
Although frustrated, I'm looking forward to seeing what they have in store!
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I wonder if Ford could field a kickass single cam motor.
While they could, I don't think they ever would as with DOHC you have variable cam timing for not only power, making a small engine perform larger, but emissions.
Only benefit of pushrods are packaging.
-J

Fourcam380

Established Member
The jaguar/ LT AJ series III 5.0l V8s are DI 4Vs that use a TVS 1760 and have since MY 2011. So far the only dual PFI and FI production engine running FI I know of is the Audi 5 cylinder turbo.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
The jaguar/ LT AJ series III 5.0l V8s are DI 4Vs that use a TVS 1760 and have since MY 2011. So far the only dual PFI and FI production engine running FI I know of is the Audi 5 cylinder turbo.

I think Audi/VW has a couple of motors with that tech. Doesnt the new GTI and Golf R run both port and direct injection? Believe they do and are of course turbo as well.

Wouldnt doubt if the twin turbo v8 on the s6/s7/s8 is the same. Thats a bad ass motor right there.

Tune-only s7's are in the 10s at 130mph. Insane.

Fourcam380

Established Member
I think Audi/VW has a couple of motors with that tech. Doesnt the new GTI and Golf R run both port and direct injection? Believe they do and are of course turbo as well.

Wouldnt doubt if the twin turbo v8 on the s6/s7/s8 is the same. Thats a bad ass motor right there.

Tune-only s7's are in the 10s at 130mph. Insane.

No just the 5 cyl 2.5 afaik. All others listed are DI only.

MB and VW TT 4.0l DI V8s are similar in design, displacement, use and potential. Bmw 4.4l is DI and RP, New Ferrari 3.9l V8 has conventional twins and conventional ports.

The longblocks in the RS7, GT R, etc are good for 1000HP+.

One downside being uniformity among brands is boring. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread