Anyone else hate their job?

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
My Job:

I have burns on my body that will likely never go away. ( I say this as I Went to a funeral for a guy a couple years back who in the same profession who had the same burns.) From crude oil, and constant h2s exposure.

Umm.. On thanksgiving at 3am, I was sleeping in my truck as I was called out

Over 18 hour shifts are becoming common. Hell yesterday I started at 4am... got a call at 11am saying. " we are about to do a 12 hour job and have to have someone here"

My job sites are a 3 hour round trip from home... so if I'm on call, Which is 2 weeks a month, i have to respond to any call. Which last week happened every single day from Wed-Sun. So quality of life at those times is basically shot. So at any point I could be sleeping or having dinner.. I have to immediately get home or wake up, and rush out to a site, even if I had just got home from a 15 hour day.

But the pay.. is insane basically. I took an interview yesterday for a supervisor position at another company... 40k pay cut. I've lost count of the number of divorces I've seen. Deaths. Few suicides. It's a brutal industry. But at the end of the day I'm a high school drop out.... the only jobs outside of this industry I've had in my life, I didnt make over 500 a week.

mikecobra01

Established Member
I’m in the same boat as the op. I’m 28 and I’ve been a tech for almost 9 years now and hate it. I’d love to get into a different career but have no idea what to do.

buffalosoldier

Established Member
cops around here work off duty for $30 $50 an hr. for standing around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
12 years as a TDCJ correctional officer had it ups and downs. Actually more downs than ups, but Im not gonna get into that right now.

Valeting high end cars is great until you have to talk to the dipshit owners and explain that there is 10 other “special edition corvettes” sitting in the lot. Yes that really happened and he was very pissed, but tipped a 20$. I make decent for being a non educated non life productive dummy. It has a flexible schedule which benefits me and Ive driven everything from Focus cars to brand new TrackHawks and a couple of R8. Its not 6 figure cop salary, but my morals prevented me from going into that profession.

Actually about to clock in now and make my chump change and watch YouTube while i wait for the spring to come around so i can get done with school and do a job I want.

Coiled03

Established Member
I've come to realize Mike Rowe is right: Your enjoyment of your job has very little to do with the actual work itself.

I've slowly learned it's more about the people you work with and your attitude. I don't like the work I do right now at all. But the people I work with are fun to be around, and my job keeps me close to my daughter. So, I live with the work.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I've come to realize Mike Rowe is right: Your enjoyment of your job has very little to do with the actual work itself.

I've slowly learned it's more about the people you work with and your attitude. I don't like the work I do right now at all. But the people I work with are fun to be around, and my job keeps me close to my daughter. So, I live with the work.

This is it.

If you like/respect the people you work with and for, you’ll enjoy going to work each day.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Zemedici

Established Member
As of right now, I don't think I can say I flat out hate my job, but I dislike it because I don't feel like I'm a good fit for it nor am I really well versed in the field. I absolutely hated, hated, hated my last job to the point I was considering driving in front of trains or off bridges just to get it all over with.

I did tier 1 / 2 IT helpdesk stuff at various companies for the past 6 years, my last position I was a lead on the tier 1/2 helpdesk. We were under staffed and overworked, I was usually taking 30+ calls a day in a 4 hour span and mind you, this is an internal helpdesk for about 11,000 people, we had about 13 people total split between two locations. The other half of the day was working self submitted tickets unless the hold time spiked, then I had to drop what I was doing and get back to more phones. The pay was good, as were the benefits, and it got my foot in the door as an employee. I learned a lot that I had never learned at my prior IT jobs, but there was a lot of stress as well as animosity against the team in the south due to the NJ team doing the majority of the work.

My level of care reached such a low point during that job that I would come to work every day not giving a single **** about what would happen. I've told my boss in person in meetings, in front of the entire team how much "I f***ing hate this job". I would be brutally honest about things with end users who called in (which resulted in me having the highest customer satisfaction ratings funny enough) complaining about things, usually the VPN client we had to support. Usually when someone called in saying "This is the third time I've had this VPN client fixed and it's still acting up, why does this keep happening!?" my immediate reply would be "Well sir, it's because it's a f***ing trash program" and I'd be met with laughter over the phone "hell yeah brother you said it, it sure is!".

I ended up taking another position within the same company thanks to a co-worker of mine from my contractor days when I first started out at this company back in 2014. He helped get me into his group and I'm now working in risk management & compliance. It's not super difficult and I know a lot of what they're looking for since I came from a tech background in the company, but this is certainly not where I want to continue my career. I took it because the pay was even better and I had to get out of that last job or I felt I was going to be stuck in helpdesk hell for the rest of my life (some people have been there for 10+ years in that same position). I still keep in touch with my old team as I had nothing against them and I'd like to bring a couple of them into the new group I'm working for just so they can get off the sinking ship, but alas I don't think that's going to happen. I know 2 of the 6 who are left just applied for a package and will be leaving very soon.

After my year is up I'm going to start looking around inside the company and see if I can hop to something else, I figure this will at least look good on my resume and make me a little more rounded versus just doing IT support for 6 years. I just need to get back to finishing my 4 year degree and see if I can move into something like system administration or cyber security, who knows.

So my answer to that is, yes but to less of a degree than I had before. I truly believe an overwhelming majority of people hate their jobs, but we can't pay our bills with feelings now can we? Hopefully after you get your house you can try and find another job that you'll hate less like I did.

If you want, email me your resume. My old lady does IT recruiting. She could surely keep an eye out for a good fit for you, buddy. No problem. She keeps a few of my friends resumes on file so when she finds a fit they’re top of the contact list.

@OP, changing jobs shouldn’t matter for a house as long as it’s the same career path. I just bought a house and i changed jobs 3 months ago. No biggie.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
if I sold my Shelby I could do it. But I don't want to do that
tumblr_mnfwx3nT6w1rynk4uo1_250.gif

That's with yer endorsements though. Ugly cops only make mid 30's.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
Lol :cool:

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Worked for the PO for 35 years. Got into maintenance and that made it better. Worked way up to top Elec Tech. The job was easy. Just sit around and wait till something breaks, then go fix it. Anyway as I said the job was nice but the management sucked big time. That basically made it a terrible place to work. I stuck it out because by the time it got really bad I was in for the long haul as they had a good retirement. Since then they have changed the retirement system over to SS so not as good a deal. Anyway you have to do what you need to to provide for family. If it meant driving some distance to get a better position I would do it.

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
We've all heard that "if you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life." That is complete BS, sorry.
I could not disagree more. I love my job and enjoy going to work. I look forward to retirement also because that will be the next adventure in my life.

And I didn't read all that shit after this comment.

CobraKid04

Established Member
Yeah I'm 30 right now so I have a long time to go for work. I have always wanted to be a cop, but the pay sucks.

Do Lexus tech. Make big money? Cops can make a good living, just depends on the state and department.

6 figure job, great benefits, pension, massive amount of time off( I took 11 weeks off so far this year), All large suburbs in Franklin county Ohio make 90-95k. That's with out overtime, shift diff, longevity pay, court time. Factor in benefits, 120k easily. I couldn't imagine dealing/ risking so much for a penny less.

It's either feast or famine though. You either work at a good department and make money or you work at some bs place for 20 an hour.

I'm going on 5 years as a LEO (not registered on this site). It was a blast for the first 3. Now I arrest the same D bags all the time and deal with the same crap everyday. Truely a thankless job. People say thank you for your service and will be the first ones to criticize. Don't get me started on the departmental BS and massively HUGE egos of some cops. It's tiring.

I love being a cop, but it will eat you up if you don't work for a good boss have good partners and make good money. Luckly my Sgt. And my shift are great and when we want to, can do fantastic work.

Users who are viewing this thread