Anyone else hate their job?

Zemedici

Established Member
Good way to look at it.. def some truth here.

Everyone has to "earn their stripes". I went to college to be a lawyer. Graduated with a degree in Political Science then decided that a BA was enough and I was done with school (stupid). So... no lawyer.

I took my first job in trucking (go figure) as a dock supervisor for Roadway Express in 1999 working nights Wednesday through Saturday 2130 to 1030. My job, as a 22 year old kid right out of college, was to tell 30 year veteran Teamsters old enough to be my dad what to do--EL OH EL. I got told to Go **** Myself more times than I can count my first month there.

I refused to call in sick or EVER be late for work, ever. Did not want to give those pricks the satisfaction that they got me. I pounded that concrete working every shitbag shift you can think of for YEARS. My feet would hurt so bad it was crazy and NOTHING you could do about it. Worked my way up through pretty much every management job you can do in trucking up to Regional Director of Operations for another company years later.

Fast forward to today.... now work from home as an advisor/consultant for a private equity firm that buys and sells trucking companies. Make more money than I ever have and actually have to find things to do some days. It's crazy how things have changed for the better.

But yeah.... Everyone's got to earn theirs before things get easy boys!!

Keep after it.

I dig the story man. Good deal. True 'work your way to the top' scenario. I'll give y'all my history, I like this shit.

Started at 17 years old working at Napa. I worked there for 2 years, same as you did Dom, any shift I could take. Working between 3 different stores, parts driver, phone sales, and counter sales. LONG days, 7am-8/9pm Monday - Friday, and all day Saturday.

Began making connections at the dealerships I would deliver parts to, and got to know a guy at Ford / Nissan (share a dealership, weird combo I know) named Greig. Talking shit with him one day, I say 'when you gonna give me a shot to show you what I can do?' and stared him in the face, he goes 'you serious?' I said 'as a heart attack'

Walks me in to see the parts manager, who gives me a shot. Parts manager was a total **********, one of those 'you don't need to make money cuz you're young' type of guys. So I got paid half of what the other guys did, to do the same job. Worked there for a few years, bouncing between parts and service, went to a few different ford dealers. Applied at the Injected, the shop I last worked at, and HOUNDED the owner. Wore him out with phone calls and visits, until he gave me a shot. Couple weeks in he goes 'man wish I had you working here years ago'. Loved the job, just didn't work out in the long run. The performance industry is tough, long hours, and cutthroat industry. But very very rewarding. Its nice having guys call ME when their shit is acting up 'what do I do?'. Nice to be appreciated by the customers.

Started lugging 120lb bus batteries, ended up running the front of performance shop.

Younger guys nowadays don't understand the fact you have to put your ****ing head down, and WORK to get to the top. Most people did not START as CEO.....

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I dig the story man. Good deal. True 'work your way to the top' scenario. I'll give y'all my history, I like this shit.

Started at 17 years old working at Napa. I worked there for 2 years, same as you did Dom, any shift I could take. Working between 3 different stores, parts driver, phone sales, and counter sales. LONG days, 7am-8/9pm Monday - Friday, and all day Saturday.

Began making connections at the dealerships I would deliver parts to, and got to know a guy at Ford / Nissan (share a dealership, weird combo I know) named Greig. Talking shit with him one day, I say 'when you gonna give me a shot to show you what I can do?' and stared him in the face, he goes 'you serious?' I said 'as a heart attack'

Walks me in to see the parts manager, who gives me a shot. Parts manager was a total **********, one of those 'you don't need to make money cuz you're young' type of guys. So I got paid half of what the other guys did, to do the same job. Worked there for a few years, bouncing between parts and service, went to a few different ford dealers. Applied at the Injected, the shop I last worked at, and HOUNDED the owner. Wore him out with phone calls and visits, until he gave me a shot. Couple weeks in he goes 'man wish I had you working here years ago'. Loved the job, just didn't work out in the long run. The performance industry is tough, long hours, and cutthroat industry. But very very rewarding. Its nice having guys call ME when their shit is acting up 'what do I do?'. Nice to be appreciated by the customers.

Started lugging 120lb bus batteries, ended up running the front of performance shop.

Younger guys nowadays don't understand the fact you have to put your ****ing head down, and WORK to get to the top. Most people did not START as CEO.....

A solid work ethic along with a likeable personality is a TOUGH combo to beat. You don't have to be the smartest, you just have to bust your ass and earn what it is you want.

EVERY industry has a job within it, somewhere, that pays well and is enjoyable. Pick your industry and go get you some.

They ALL have politics and bullshit you have to deal with every day. All of them. My wife is a teacher and we could tell the same stories about bosses, direct reports, and general nonsense that is frustrating. Same stories, just different names on top of the buildings where we clock in.

Zemedici

Established Member
A solid work ethic along with a likeable personality is a TOUGH combo to beat. You don't have to be the smartest, you just have to bust your ass and earn what it is you want.

EVERY industry has a job within it, somewhere, that pays well and is enjoyable. Pick your industry and go get you some.

They ALL have politics and bullshit you have to deal with every day. All of them. My wife is a teacher and we could tell the same stories about bosses, direct reports, and general nonsense that is frustrating. Same stories, just different names on top of the buildings where we clock in.

200% Truth. My boss currently is a heavy hitter in the liquidation industry. The politics he deals with are INSANE. Some of these other guys will sue each other Monday, close a deal with each other Wednesday, and go to court Friday.

Its in every industry. ESPECIALLY ones with women involved. So I stay to male dominated industries. ****kkkkk all the drama.

My pops told me whatever you want, you will have to work for it, as nothing is free. And I like expensive shit. So lots of work. Goes hand in hand. I compare myself to a lot of my friends, and all my friends are 30+ (I just turned 26) . I gotta bring myself back to reality sometimes, as I don't have the experience they do.

VegasMichael

Established Member
200% Truth. My boss currently is a heavy hitter in the liquidation industry. The politics he deals with are INSANE. Some of these other guys will sue each other Monday, close a deal with each other Wednesday, and go to court Friday.

Its in every industry. ESPECIALLY ones with women involved. So I stay to male dominated industries. ****kkkkk all the drama.

My pops told me whatever you want, you will have to work for it, as nothing is free. And I like expensive shit. So lots of work. Goes hand in hand. I compare myself to a lot of my friends, and all my friends are 30+ (I just turned 26) . I gotta bring myself back to reality sometimes, as I don't have the experience they do.

I work with mostly women, been supervised by mostly women. It took a few years before we "got" each other but we're good now. Quite different from my military days. They learned they couldn't treat me like their boyfriend/husband and I learned that I would have to put up with a lot of their inefficiencies when it came to getting things done quickly.

Last edited:

CV355

_
Established Member
Ouch, yeah I make 18 an hour, but I flag 160+ hours every two weeks so it's good money.

Just be careful doing that. 80hr weeks wear you down over time.

I pulled some 110-120hr weeks last year. I made over $20k in one month. If you work too much and start getting health issues, the cost of fixing those issues is more than the fat OT on the check. Right now, if I went back and worked straight 48's (salary min) but didn't have the health issues, I'd be a much happier individual and probably the same amount in the bank.

All I'm saying guys- don't be me!!

96 cobra

Established Member
My job is ruining my back and zero advancement, environmental consulting/engineering.
I'm ready to give my 2-weeks while continuing searching in other fields of work...

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
I discharged the Navy at 19 after I got hurt and went home (midway,tx pop.288). Fresh out the military with no education, no skills, and no connections. I took the best job around being TDCJ aka the prison system. Spent 2 years working overnights at the Ferguson Unit pissed that my life was shit and quit to try things again. Wound up working at Walmart and liked it. I spent 5 years there and completed some schooling.

My life was on a downhill spiral when i met and married my wife. I needed a better paying job and living in Huntsville,Tx aka Prison City I went back to TDCJ. I hated that shit more than when i left the first time. I spent 12+ years of being cussed out, hit, chunked on and so forth. Being an idiot with no future I had the opportunity to make supervisior and while i was there I did a lot of supervising and didn’t like it.

I was the type that liked to be in the trenches. Being young and willing to head in headfirst I was involed in more uses of force then any other officer at my unit (everything was legal and justified) I got used to a life of being gassed and smashed. Unfortunately it took its toll on my personal life (marriage)and caused me to fail out of school twice. I looked at it as being the cost of serving my state and keeping the public safe. I finally left after 12 almost 13 years because I was drug into the back of a van and had to fight to survive. I almost didn’t make it home that day and that fool is doing additional time for what he did.

By time I am looking at being done with school now I will be probably 40 and starting at the bottom again. I do look forward to it though since I would finally be able to enjoy my job.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I actually like my job and most of the people I work with. I hated my last job but I parlayed it into this job so I guess it was worth it. I recently got on a new schedule too and it's awesome. Kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop honestly lol.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Just be careful doing that. 80hr weeks wear you down over time.

I pulled some 110-120hr weeks last year. I made over $20k in one month. If you work too much and start getting health issues, the cost of fixing those issues is more than the fat OT on the check. Right now, if I went back and worked straight 48's (salary min) but didn't have the health issues, I'd be a much happier individual and probably the same amount in the bank.

All I'm saying guys- don't be me!!
He flags 80+ a week. probably working 40-50.

CV355

_
Established Member
He flags 80+ a week. probably working 40-50.

I may have just misunderstood what "flags" means then. Some people at work have claimed they worked "100+hrs" when most of it was sitting around waiting. When I say I worked 120hrs, I literally mean I worked 16+hrs a day, 7 days a week, for months on end. The only time I was awake and not working was if I was in the bathroom or in the shower. Horrible existence. I think everyone should experience ONE week of it just to form perspective, but I will never condone anyone making it as a normal lifestyle like I did. If I had a time machine, I'd go back and kick my own ass. Maybe I'd go one step further and trip the doctor in the delivery room.

Zemedici

Established Member
I discharged the Navy at 19 after I got hurt and went home (midway,tx pop.288). Fresh out the military with no education, no skills, and no connections. I took the best job around being TDCJ aka the prison system. Spent 2 years working overnights at the Ferguson Unit pissed that my life was shit and quit to try things again. Wound up working at Walmart and liked it. I spent 5 years there and completed some schooling.

My life was on a downhill spiral when i met and married my wife. I needed a better paying job and living in Huntsville,Tx aka Prison City I went back to TDCJ. I hated that shit more than when i left the first time. I spent 12+ years of being cussed out, hit, chunked on and so forth. Being an idiot with no future I had the opportunity to make supervisior and while i was there I did a lot of supervising and didn’t like it.

I was the type that liked to be in the trenches. Being young and willing to head in headfirst I was involed in more uses of force then any other officer at my unit (everything was legal and justified) I got used to a life of being gassed and smashed. Unfortunately it took its toll on my personal life (marriage)and caused me to fail out of school twice. I looked at it as being the cost of serving my state and keeping the public safe. I finally left after 12 almost 13 years because I was drug into the back of a van and had to fight to survive. I almost didn’t make it home that day and that fool is doing additional time for what he did.

By time I am looking at being done with school now I will be probably 40 and starting at the bottom again. I do look forward to it though since I would finally be able to enjoy my job.

Whaaaat?! Jeff any more info here? Jesus Christ man.

I work with mostly women, been supervised by mostly women. It took a few years before we "got" each other but we're good now. Quite different from my military days. They learned they couldn't treat me like their boyfriend/husband and I learned that I would have to put up with a lot of their inefficiencies when it came to getting things done quickly.

This also irritates the shit out of me. Its FACT that women cannot produce what men can in the workplace. FACT. There's no refuting this point. So now it is slowly becoming the societal standard that women simply DONT have to produce what men do in the workplace.

Every dealership I've been at, the accounting department is a bunch of catty bitches that just sit in a room all day talking shit about other people, NOT WORKING. Just gets old. And I'm the guy with the loud mouth that'll say something.

Best I don't work with a lot of women. lololol

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
This also irritates the shit out of me. Its FACT that women cannot produce what men can in the workplace. FACT. There's no refuting this point. So now it is slowly becoming the societal standard that women simply DONT have to produce what men do in the workplace.

Every dealership I've been at, the accounting department is a bunch of catty bitches that just sit in a room all day talking shit about other people, NOT WORKING. Just gets old. And I'm the guy with the loud mouth that'll say something.

giphy.gif

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
I fortunately have no complaints. I love what i do, who i work for and the people I work with. But it was absolute bitch to get to the place i am now.

I’m a software engineer but started off as an BA/SA after college. Pay was terrible (2008) hours, and people.

In 2012 i signed on with my current employer. For 3 years i had to work my ass off as a SE1. 12-14 hr days, weekends, additional classes and most importantly out smart the people around me. Always doing the things no one else wanted to do. But the company and people here help with motivation along with the fact that i had personal goals. I’m now at a place where I’m in a senior role, great hours, access to amazing people who are nothing short of brilliant and i make 4x as much as i did in 2012. Ill never be satisfied with my career and will always set personal goals as well as monetary goals.

I think people (younger imo) think they can walk in somewhere after college and feel as though they are owed the corner office with a 6 figure salary and have a nervous breakdown when they find out its going to take blood, sweat and tears to actually obtain that stuff. That piece of paper means dick imo and from what i have seen. Its just a ticket to the show. That’s all.

OP make a change. Keep moving. I found the goals and self motivation are the biggest factor that has gotten me though tough times in the work place.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I make 55 an hour but only get 35-40 hours a week and 184 days a year. #notcomplaining

$115k a year as a teacher?

My wife needs to move to Vegas.

She’s been in her district for 18 years and makes about $82k with Masters level credits.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Zemedici

Established Member
I think people (younger imo) think they can walk in somewhere after college and feel as though they are owed the corner office with a 6 figure salary and have a nervous breakdown when they find out its going to take blood, sweat and tears to actually obtain that stuff. That piece of paper means dick imo and from what i have seen. Its just a ticket to the show. That’s all.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

My lord that's the ****ing truth. And in gradeschool nowadays its literally BEATEN into your brain that you cannot be successful unless you go to college. Which is one of the BIGGEST lies I've ever heard.

An individuals drive and work ethic is a direct reflection of how successful they will be. An ungodly expensive piece of paper doesn't change shit.

After 13 years of school, some people want to take a break.....and there's no harm in that. The problem is finding the time to go back. My parents told me when I graduated at 17 that I either go to college, or I have to move out. Nowadays looking back, they regret making that ruling.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
I may have just misunderstood what "flags" means then. Some people at work have claimed they worked "100+hrs" when most of it was sitting around waiting. When I say I worked 120hrs, I literally mean I worked 16+hrs a day, 7 days a week, for months on end. The only time I was awake and not working was if I was in the bathroom or in the shower. Horrible existence. I think everyone should experience ONE week of it just to form perspective, but I will never condone anyone making it as a normal lifestyle like I did. If I had a time machine, I'd go back and kick my own ass. Maybe I'd go one step further and trip the doctor in the delivery room.

What exactly did you do..

I'd say you're being quite over dramatic with this whole " all I did was bathroom or shower"

I mean I get it... mental stress sucks, but when someone complains about long " grueling " hours sitting in a comfy chair, in the air conditioning. It sucks don't get me wrong... but there is far far far far worse than that. Hell I wished I worked in the AC, in a comfy chair for my 16+ hour shifts

CV355

_
Established Member

Groups of women are as bad a groups of dudes- just different subject matter. Same lack of productivity. Herd mentality.

It's easy to test the theory- if I were to walk through my office splurting out the word "fff...ff.f..ff... FFOOTBALL" while my eyes go crosseyed, spit flying everywhere, and arms flailing in the air, virtually everyone will start yakking about what some illiterate goon did over the weekend. "You see what ugg-ugg do? Ugg-ugg throw ball. Ook no catch ball. Me no like Ook." for hours.

As much as I absolutely hated working for the man, we need more ruthless managers like my first boss. Just... to weed out the useless people clogging up the pipes of society. At my first job, sitting down anywhere was an instant firing. Moving too slow? Gone. He'd walk up behind you, grab you by your collar, throw your ass out the door and throw your last paycheck at you. I watched him do it many times- usually 3-4 times a week. New kid comes in, gets lazy, out he goes, paycheck for $3.50.

What exactly did you do..

I'd say you're being quite over dramatic with this whole " all I did was bathroom or shower"

I mean I get it... mental stress sucks, but when someone complains about long " grueling " hours sitting in a comfy chair, in the air conditioning. It sucks don't get me wrong... but there is far far far far worse than that. Hell I wished I worked in the AC, in a comfy chair for my 16+ hour shifts

I had 3 months to design $8M worth of systems, alone, from scratch, or the company would have been sued and many of us would have lost our jobs. That was on top of managing the engineering department. After materials started coming in, I helped build the systems because there wasn't enough time for perfect schematics. Believe me, it wasn't sitting in a comfy chair in an air conditioned office.

To quote my wife: "He's telling the truth, and he's an idiot. I told him not to do it."

I've done the mental and physical marathons. Physical hurts faster, mental fatigue hurts longer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread