Anyone else hate their job?

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
saying-cops-without-lips-touching.jpg

98slowbra

Established Member
Hello, well I have jobs I have hated, I was a Sr systems Engineer for a company and they just worked me like 70 hours a week for 2 years and it was tough, I took a $30,000 pay cut to get out and work from home at that time. I have been in IT for 28 years so a very long time back to the Novell days, then NT and now this, but I mostly have been on the Telecom side for each part so I did networks and Telecom at the same time, but now I do Telecom most of the time and I like it, I have total of 14 years on Cisco and 14 years on Avaya. So I like IT but it can be the people that get your goat. My wife is in IT also for like 20 years so together we do I would say ok at over $350k a year for us both. IT has provided me to stay up to date on new technology, but wife is a Director in IT so she went a different way than I did. I enjoy the tech side, she likes the management side. Making good money is not always the best I can tell you the truth on that I most of the time would rather be poor and happy cause it was easier at that time, now it can be a real mess if you do not watch it.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Meh. The firm I work for now is pretty cool, but I hate the travel and having to slurp customers butts. What really irks me is when they try to tell you something that isn't correct when they contracted you because you ARE the technical expert. I have a colleague that is a voting member of the ISA board and actually had to listen to a client try to argue with him on interpreting one of the codes.....that he wrote.

I really want to get my businesses off the ground, but it isn't easy. Raising capital, finding ways to keep overhead low while building the business, etc. I'm not looking to get rich, quick or otherwise. I just want to match the income I have and do something I would hate less.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Ive had jobs where I truly wish I got into an accident just so I wouldn't have to go in. The job I work now I don't really hate but I don't like it either. Like others have said, if you work with people you like then it makes it 10x better. If I didn't like my co-workers I would be out the door.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Do Lexus tech. Make big money? Cops can make a good living, just depends on the state and department.

6 figure job, great benefits, pension, massive amount of time off( I took 11 weeks off so far this year), All large suburbs in Franklin county Ohio make 90-95k. That's with out overtime, shift diff, longevity pay, court time. Factor in benefits, 120k easily. I couldn't imagine dealing/ risking so much for a penny less.

It's either feast or famine though. You either work at a good department and make money or you work at some bs place for 20 an hour.

I'm going on 5 years as a LEO (not registered on this site). It was a blast for the first 3. Now I arrest the same D bags all the time and deal with the same crap everyday. Truely a thankless job. People say thank you for your service and will be the first ones to criticize. Don't get me started on the departmental BS and massively HUGE egos of some cops. It's tiring.

I love being a cop, but it will eat you up if you don't work for a good boss have good partners and make good money. Luckly my Sgt. And my shift are great and when we want to, can do fantastic work.
If you're a Senior or master Lexus technician which I am, than you can make good money, plus I master lease a 2018 Lexus and Lexus pays 400 dollars of my payment for me. For some reason in AZ it doesn't seem cops get paid all that great, don't get me wrong if you do the job long enough than you'll make good money. But starting pay kinda sucks, I don't hate my job, I actually enjoy working on cars a lot, I just hate the politics of working in a dealership.

I have always wanted to be a cop, and I still might, but with my wife talking care of our 7 month old daughter full time I'm the one paying the bills and putting food on the table.

CV355

_
Established Member
I could not disagree more. I love my job and enjoy going to work. I look forward to retirement also because that will be the next adventure in my life.

And I didn't read all that shit after this comment.

Ah, that's why you didn't understand it, but thanks for that.

I love the main aspect of my job, but doing upwards of 120 hours of it is absolute hell to the body and brain. My job makes me look more forward to death than retirement.

Maybe someday I'll get a cushy 40hr work week like you must have.

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
Ah, that's why you didn't understand it, but thanks for that.

I love the main aspect of my job, but doing upwards of 120 hours of it is absolute hell to the body and brain. My job makes me look more forward to death than retirement.

Maybe someday I'll get a cushy 40hr work week like you must have.
Trust me, I know how very blessed my life is.

CV355

_
Established Member
Trust me, I know how very blessed my life is.

Ok, so when I give honest advice to someone, having lived (and still living, unfortunately) through and dealt with some ridiculous hardships, don't call it shit.

Back to the point you missed, I enjoy playing guitar. I get a max of 20 minutes to play these days, usually requiring me to cut into time where I should be sleeping. If I were to play 8 hours a day, my fingers would be ruined. It's the same with work. The old addage only applies in moderation, but unfortunately we're no longer living in a 9-5 society.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
If you're a Senior or master Lexus technician which I am, than you can make good money, plus I master lease a 2018 Lexus and Lexus pays 400 dollars of my payment for me. For some reason in AZ it doesn't seem cops get paid all that great, don't get me wrong if you do the job long enough than you'll make good money. But starting pay kinda sucks, I don't hate my job, I actually enjoy working on cars a lot, I just hate the politics of working in a dealership.

I have always wanted to be a cop, and I still might, but with my wife talking care of our 7 month old daughter full time I'm the one paying the bills and putting food on the table.
That's gotta be nice. They don't do stuff like that for people at Honda or Nissan. One of our master techs makes 18/hr and is lucky to make 30 hours a week.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok, so when I give honest advice to someone, having lived (and still living, unfortunately) through and dealt with some ridiculous hardships, don't call it shit.

Back to the point you missed, I enjoy playing guitar. I get a max of 20 minutes to play these days, usually requiring me to cut into time where I should be sleeping. If I were to play 8 hours a day, my fingers would be ruined. It's the same with work. The old addage only applies in moderation, but unfortunately we're no longer living in a 9-5 society.

Sounds like you need a good hobby, partner.... and a new job.

CV355

_
Established Member
Sounds like you need a good hobby, partner.... and a new job.

Not a day goes by where I don't consider liquidating everything, handing out coffee at a drive-thru, and living in a trailer. ...hence the advice I gave earlier. Straight from the heart that's putting out 190/120. :)

Of course I know if I quit, a lot of people are going to have aneurysms, and not the ones that deserve them.

FJohnny

Established Member
I told my kids from a young age that they would hear people claim that they should "love the work they do". I explained that people like Justin Bieber and the Jenner girls probably love their jobs. But that there weren't many jobs like that around.

I tried to get through to them that performing a job you don't love allows you to live a lifestyle and do the things you do love. And that working really hard and picking a higher paying job will allow you to do the shitty job for a shorter time. Worked for me anyway.

Good luck out there, guys. Hoping you all land the Bieber job.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I told my kids from a young age that they would hear people claim that they should "love the work they do". I explained that people like Justin Bieber and the Jenner girls probably love their jobs. But that there weren't many jobs like that around.

I tried to get through to them that performing a job you don't love allows you to live a lifestyle and do the things you do love. And that working really hard and picking a higher paying job will allow you to do the shitty job for a shorter time. Worked for me anyway.

Good luck out there, guys. Hoping you all land the Bieber job.

Good way to look at it.. def some truth here.

Everyone has to "earn their stripes". I went to college to be a lawyer. Graduated with a degree in Political Science then decided that a BA was enough and I was done with school (stupid). So... no lawyer.

I took my first job in trucking (go figure) as a dock supervisor for Roadway Express in 1999 working nights Wednesday through Saturday 2130 to 1030. My job, as a 22 year old kid right out of college, was to tell 30 year veteran Teamsters old enough to be my dad what to do--EL OH EL. I got told to Go **** Myself more times than I can count my first month there.

I refused to call in sick or EVER be late for work, ever. Did not want to give those pricks the satisfaction that they got me. I pounded that concrete working every shitbag shift you can think of for YEARS. My feet would hurt so bad it was crazy and NOTHING you could do about it. Worked my way up through pretty much every management job you can do in trucking up to Regional Director of Operations for another company years later.

Fast forward to today.... now work from home as an advisor/consultant for a private equity firm that buys and sells trucking companies. Make more money than I ever have and actually have to find things to do some days. It's crazy how things have changed for the better.

But yeah.... Everyone's got to earn theirs before things get easy boys!!

Keep after it.

Last edited:

90lx

Established Member
I'm kinda on a salary type pay. My check is the same every week. It comes out around 21.50/hr. I work 5 hours every other Saturday. Which I'm getting tired of the Saturday thing too. The older I get, the more my time means to me. But I am glad it's not commission because that would never work at my shop. There's no organization there what so ever. They can't run a schedule and have no idea what tomorrow will bring. That makes it difficult too. I've gave ideas and suggestions since I've worked there, but I don't believe they want change because they never try. They just keep making the same mistakes everyday like they didn't learn from the last time. It's like 50 first dates there(the adam saddler movie) every day is a new day. I'm keeping my head high and praying about it. It will all work out in the end

Users who are viewing this thread